The Student Room Group

I don't know if I should go to uni or work abroad

I'm 17 and currently doing my AS's. For my whole life, I have always planned to go to university straight after my A-Levels, but now that teachers and my parents are shoving university league tables down my throat, I'm starting to wonder if I want to go now or if I want to take a year or so out to travel.

I stumbled across a website that shows vacancies for summer camps or holiday resorts or language schools all across the world and I knew that was something I wanted to do. But I'm scared that I'll regret not going to uni at the same time as everyone I know and while I still remember everything from my A-levels.

I was planning on doing Journalism/German at uni but I think I just want to work in as many different places doing as many different things as I can. However, everyone in my family has at least one bachelors and I'm scared I will be at a disadvantage if I never get one.

I really don't know what I want and I don't want to talk to my parents or friends about it because I know they will try and dissuade me.
Original post by lenahills
I'm 17 and currently doing my AS's. For my whole life, I have always planned to go to university straight after my A-Levels, but now that teachers and my parents are shoving university league tables down my throat, I'm starting to wonder if I want to go now or if I want to take a year or so out to travel.

I stumbled across a website that shows vacancies for summer camps or holiday resorts or language schools all across the world and I knew that was something I wanted to do. But I'm scared that I'll regret not going to uni at the same time as everyone I know and while I still remember everything from my A-levels.

I was planning on doing Journalism/German at uni but I think I just want to work in as many different places doing as many different things as I can. However, everyone in my family has at least one bachelors and I'm scared I will be at a disadvantage if I never get one.

I really don't know what I want and I don't want to talk to my parents or friends about it because I know they will try and dissuade me.

First of all not going to uni at the same time as all your friends shouldn't really be much of an issue. For one it's unlikely you'll be going to the same universities let alone be on the same course. And even if you were people usually drift away from previous friends in university so they can experience being independent and making a fresh start. So don't let that stop you from doing what you want.

Secondly taking a year out doesn't have to mean you never go to university, so don't view it like that. You can even apply for deferred entry so you already have a place at university waiting for you a year from September.

I can understand wanting A-levels to be fresh in your head. But depending on your course chances are you'll start pretty much from fresh anyway and you'll often find yourself having to disregard things you have been taught in the past as they may not be up to university standards in terms of accuracy/ up to date knowledge.

Don't let your friends and family tell you what to do. This is completely our decision and it is your life.

Also remember you will still have the chance to take a year out after university, the advantage of taking one out now if that you know currently you don't have any commitments. You don't know what your commitments will be in 3 years time when you finish uni, which can make travelling and working abroad for a year a bit more difficult and a hassle.
(edited 8 years ago)
(edited 7 years ago)
You're are still young. Go out. See the world for yourself. Education will not go anywhere. Do something helpful. Make a difference. :smile: Good luck

Hi, first of all, you are too young to be worried that much, just relax. I was reading answers, and I totally agree with the majority of them. You are still young, all you need to do is see the world, meet new people from other cultures and find yourself. Then it will be a lot easier to find what you really want.

Some of my friends took the advantage of summer camp jobs to have work experience and meet new cultures at the same time. They were all agree that this helped them a lot when it comes to making a decision. If I remember correct, they used a website called bunac org. I hope this helps a bit.
Original post by Martinnathalie9
Hi, first of all, you are too young to be worried that much, just relax. I was reading answers, and I totally agree with the majority of them. You are still young, all you need to do is see the world, meet new people from other cultures and find yourself. Then it will be a lot easier to find what you really want.

Some of my friends took the advantage of summer camp jobs to have work experience and meet new cultures at the same time. They were all agree that this helped them a lot when it comes to making a decision. If I remember correct, they used a website called bunac org. I hope this helps a bit.

Ooooooh, that bunac org is like Diversity Abroad? Websites like that are really helpful! My cousin went to the diversity abroad's website and he's been interning in Korea. He's actually liking it there. Anyhow, I suggest that people should visit website like those mentioned if they are interested in going abroad for a cause.

take a gap year you only live once have no regrets

Quick Reply

Latest