The Student Room Group

Good Luck Year 11! :D

Scroll to see replies

Haha no worries mate, and thank you, hopefully with all the effort and time I put in, it will be well worth it. Same to you! what subjects are you taking?
Original post by FLM3026
I am the same with mind maps and notes!

Instead, I devise flashcards on Quizlet and I take numerous quizzes across different platforms like Gojimo. Both Gojimo and Quizlet are free and are available on the app store and online.

Quizlet: https://quizlet.com/
If you learn best through repetition, do a drill of flashcards about 2/3 times and hopefully, you'll retain the information better!

Gojimo: http://app.gojimo.co/qualifications
This app provides quizzes for the vast majority of subjects on the national curriculum and if you get a question right or wrong, it explains the answer for you and tracks your progress and your weaknesses. They are tailored to students in KS3, doing GCSEs and A-levels as well as to students doing different qualifications across the world.

Have you also tried this technique called the Cornell note-taking technique? Here is a diagram below and an explanation about how the technique works:

Ideally you should do this without looking at the textbook or looking at any prompts and in your own words!

Hope these tips and ideas help!
FLM3026 :smile:

Thank you very much for the advice! I'll definitely be trying Gojimo, and the Cornell note-taking technique (I hope it works...)
Reply 22
Original post by Khadijah489
Haha no worries mate, and thank you, hopefully with all the effort and time I put in, it will be well worth it. Same to you! what subjects are you taking?

No problem! :smile:

I can guarantee you that with the right attitude and mindset, the information you'll need to know will seep through like osmosis!

Thank you! Hopefully I'll get the grades I'll need in order to study the A-levels I want to take when I go to Sixth Form. At the moment, I am studying:

- English Language and Literature (compulsory)
- Mathematics (compulsory and I am also hoping to take further maths at the end of year and all through year 11).
- Religious Studies (compulsory)
- Triple Science
- Modern World History
- Geography
- German
- Latin (out of school GCSE)

FLM3026
Reply 23
Original post by TheOtherSide.
Thank you very much for the advice! I'll definitely be trying Gojimo, and the Cornell note-taking technique (I hope it works...)

It's always worth a shot, much like any opportunity or idea you might be confronted with later on in life! :smile: It could be that it may work!

If you find that they're still ineffective for you, feel free to message me in case you want anymore suggestions with regards to revision, confidence, school etc.

Reply 24
Original post by 11jojo11
I am shitting myself for maths because everybody has so many high expectations of me getting a good grade. I want to at least get a C so I do not have to retake it the following year!

A little bit of panic is a good thing in the sense that it shows you care about succeeding so I say good on you! :smile: But excessive panic can be bad, especially when you're trying to absorb the info you need for the exams and nothing seems to be going in!

For the time being, try to shift your focus from the expectations from others around you and onto the task at hand which is revision. The fact that others around you have high expectations of you, from my perspective, suggests you've probably got a potential to succeed and that they care! But as aforementioned, just try and focus on revision instead of external distractions like expectations, what-if's etc, because they're only going to make you panic more, make you feel worse and it's possible those what-if scenarios won't even happen! So try and adopt a 50/50 mindset, eh? :smile:

Try and do your revision in small, but incredibly frequent amounts. That way, you won't get bored and revision will feel like less of a chore and by doing it frequently, you're being exposed to that information more and by doing that, your mind will absorb that, whether you realise it or not!

Also, *always* put your mental health first and I say this with the utmost importance. Yes, your grades are important but if you ever find yourself panicking and feel like you just don't want to do anymore, stop at once, take a break and don't think about revision or school *at all* and only just focus on relaxing and calming yourself down. I can guarantee you that your body and your mind will thank you for it.

On a final note, good luck with your maths exam alongside your other exams in May/June time!
Wow this is amazing, thank you!

I'm in Year 11 and while I have always performed well academically, this year I seem to have been on a bit of a slide, and this has really lifted my spirits! I'm aiming for 7 or 8 A*s, but I'll still be over the moon with 5 or above. For me hardcore revision starts on Monday, and once I actually do start there'll no no looking back - I need these grades!

Good luck to you, even though you're only in Year 10, you already have the right mindset, something which will come in very handy this time next year.

Lastly, thanks again! :biggrin:
Reply 26
Original post by NiamhM1801
Wow this is amazing, thank you!

I'm in Year 11 and while I have always performed well academically, this year I seem to have been on a bit of a slide, and this has really lifted my spirits! I'm aiming for 7 or 8 A*s, but I'll still be over the moon with 5 or above. For me hardcore revision starts on Monday, and once I actually do start there'll no no looking back - I need these grades!

Good luck to you, even though you're only in Year 10, you already have the right mindset, something which will come in very handy this time next year.

Lastly, thanks again! :biggrin:

No problem! It's the least I can do :smile:

Wow! You seem like someone of an ambitious, self-motivated and driven nature and I find that highly admirable so good on you! With such an attitude, the world is your oyster!

I'm predicted all A's at the end of the year 10 in all of my subjects so I've really got to knuckle down in order to reach or at least get high B's at the end of the year. It won't be the end of the world if I don't reach those targets because targets don't necessarily mean much provided that you seriously knuckle down and work towards those grades next time!

Good luck on your revision but make sure you don't wear yourself out, OK? Make sure you take time out to relax and enjoy other things :smile:

Thank you as well!
FLM3026
Original post by FLM3026
No problem! It's the least I can do :smile:

Wow! You seem like someone of an ambitious, self-motivated and driven nature and I find that highly admirable so good on you! With such an attitude, the world is your oyster!

I'm predicted all A's at the end of the year 10 in all of my subjects so I've really got to knuckle down in order to reach or at least get high B's at the end of the year. It won't be the end of the world if I don't reach those targets because targets don't necessarily mean much provided that you seriously knuckle down and work towards those grades next time!

Good luck on your revision but make sure you don't wear yourself out, OK? Make sure you take time out to relax and enjoy other things :smile:

Thank you as well!
FLM3026

Ah thank you, I hope I do well!

Don't worry too much on how you do this year, in my year 10 mocks I got 4 A*s, 2 As, 2Bs, a C and a D, but in my year 11 ones I got 5 A*s, 4 As, 2Bs, no Cs and no Ds, so it's easy to bounce back if things don't turn out your way! (Just try not to get ill :tongue:)

I won't wear myself out, I know I tend to work for long periods of time but I know my limits :tongue:
Reply 28
Ah thank you, I hope I do well!

Don't worry too much on how you do this year, in my year 10 mocks I got 4 A*s, 2 As, 2Bs, a C and a D, but in my year 11 ones I got 5 A*s, 4 As, 2Bs, no Cs a:smile:nd no Ds, so it's easy to bounce back if things don't turn out your way! (Just try not to get ill :tongue:)

I won't wear myself out, I know I tend to work for long periods of time but I know my limits :tongue:

No problem!

Wow, those are excellent year 10 mocks results! I am in the process of doing mine and I doubt I've done well (or just not as well as I'd wanted to) but as you mentioned, there's always time to learn from that experience and do better next time!

Congratulations on your year 11 mocks! You should be darn well proud of yourself!
Original post by FLM3026
No problem!

Wow, those are excellent year 10 mocks results! I am in the process of doing mine and I doubt I've done well (or just not as well as I'd wanted to) but as you mentioned, there's always time to learn from that experience and do better next time!

Congratulations on your year 11 mocks! You should be darn well proud of yourself!

Exactly - they're called mocks for a reason! And it's better to slip up now than in your real exams (not that I'm saying you have btw)

Good luck with the rest of your mocks and I'm sure you've done well in the ones you've done :smile:
Reply 30
Exactly - they're called mocks for a reason! And it's better to slip up now than in your real exams (not that I'm saying you have btw)

Good luck with the rest of your mocks and I'm sure you've done well in the ones you've done :smile:

Very true!

They give an indication of what you're good at and what requires a little more work so I guess these mocks are important in that sense!

Thanks and I hope so!
Let me just start off by saying that I think your probably one of the most kindest, welcoming person on TSR lol normally I don't find people who are so jolly and enthusiastic :biggrin: and wow thats quite a of of subjects that you study! haha makes me glad that I'm only studying 3 A-levels :smile: I love english language, I got a grade A in it so if you need any hep then by all means feel free to ask, I'll try my best to help you (even though I've probably forgot a lot of it because I haven't touched an english exam paper since!)
Original post by nisha.sri
Really when are you going to start?

Hopefully today :laugh:

Quick Reply

Latest