The Student Room Group
Campus, St Mary's University College, Twickenham
St Mary's University, Twickenham
Twickenham

Living at home - St Mary's University

So I'll be living at home while studying at St Mary's when I start in September this year. I live just 30 minutes away from the uni so I thought that it was the best choice for me. I love the uni and everything about it, however I am nervous about making friends there. I have heard that it is harder to make friends in universities when you aren't living in halls. So I was just wondering if there was anyone else in the same boat as I am. Is there anyone else also going to St Mary's and staying at home? And as for current students who are staying at home, how are you finding it? Did you find it easy to make friends?
Original post by LukeTB
So I'll be living at home while studying at St Mary's when I start in September this year. I live just 30 minutes away from the uni so I thought that it was the best choice for me. I love the uni and everything about it, however I am nervous about making friends there. I have heard that it is harder to make friends in universities when you aren't living in halls. So I was just wondering if there was anyone else in the same boat as I am. Is there anyone else also going to St Mary's and staying at home? And as for current students who are staying at home, how are you finding it? Did you find it easy to make friends?

Hi!

I'll also be also to st mary's in September and I live about 1 hour away, so I'll be taking the train :smile:

I don't think it will matter much. Just be friendly to everyone and see what happens. What are you studying?
Campus, St Mary's University College, Twickenham
St Mary's University, Twickenham
Twickenham
Reply 2
Original post by SOPHIERAD
Hi!

I'll also be also to st mary's in September and I live about 1 hour away, so I'll be taking the train :smile:

I don't think it will matter much. Just be friendly to everyone and see what happens. What are you studying?

English and Creative & Professional Writing, really can't wait to start :biggrin: What about you?
Original post by LukeTB
English and Creative & Professional Writing, really can't wait to start :biggrin: What about you?

Dude. DUDE.

I'm doing Creative and Professional writing as well! (not the English part, just a single degree)
Reply 4
Dude. DUDE.

I'm doing Creative and Professional writing as well! (not the English part, just a single degree)

:redface: Wow what are the chances

Were you at St Mary's Visit day on Saturday?
Original post by LukeTB
:redface: Wow what are the chances

Were you at St Mary's Visit day on Saturday?

No I'm going on the April Day (20th) . How was it?
Reply 6
No I'm going on the April Day (20th) . How was it?

It was good, I met with and spoke to some of the lecturers, all of which are really friendly. I went on a campus tour and saw what else the uni had to offer, it wasn't much different to the first open day I went to at St Mary's last year but it was still enjoyable.
Reply 7
Hi Luke ,

There is no need to worry about living at home , yes you miss all the gossip of being in halls .

However if you go to most of the freshers events in September you should be fine . Also if you like sport or want to join a society have a look at this link below .

http://www.stmaryssu.co.uk/clubs

http://www.stmaryssu.co.uk/societies
There is also going out on a weds night to viper rooms that will help make friends also even if your not in a sport team or society

Hope this helps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending