The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Is it boring in Southampton?!

I recieved a confitional offer from Southampton for history. I'm between Soton and Liverpool, and soton has a better course but I'm so worried there's nothing to do there!
Coming from London my friends and I go out all the time and there's lots of clubs etc, it's really putting me off.
Can anyone tell me if the social side of Southampton is any good becuase reviews are really mixed? :s-smilie:
Reply 1
Mate, there's plenty of good clubs here, trust me. You'll never be short on night life. I may be a bit biased as I go here and I'm not too fussy with my nightclubs (probably why I like Jesters so much, TBH), but there's a lot to choose from. There is a block on a street called Bedford Place that is just packed with clubs, and there are a few downtown (Switch, Junk) which are really good. There's Oceana on the other side of the city from uni, as well, so all that said, I'd say you're pretty spoiled for choice, and if you miss the London scene, it's really not that far away from Southampton by train or by car.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
I lived in Southampton for 11 years plus on and off since then (it is my home town but moved away due to University, work, etc). I have never considered it boring. It is quite a big city with a good night life and lots going on.
Yes it will be quite compared to London, but as the capital and a busy capital city at that you will find it difficult to match.
For example I now live in Lisbon, Portugal and Southampton feels bigger to be honest amd this is a capital city. It is all comparative.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by 9910224
Mate, there's plenty of good clubs here, trust me. You'll never be short on night life. I may be a bit biased as I go here and I'm not too fussy with my nightclubs (probably why I like Jesters so much, TBH), but there's a lot to choose from. There is a block on a street called Bedford Place that is just packed with clubs, and there are a few downtown (Switch, Junk) which are really good. There's Oceana on the other side of the city from uni, as well, so all that said, I'd say you're pretty spoiled for choice, and if you miss the London scene, it's really not that far away from Southampton by train or by car.

Thank you! I think it's just that when I came for the applicant day it seemed really dreary and close to home, but I'm sure there is stuff to do! If you go there, what halls did you stay in in your first year?!
Reply 4
Original post by Harper97
Thank you! I think it's just that when I came for the applicant day it seemed really dreary and close to home, but I'm sure there is stuff to do! If you go there, what halls did you stay in in your first year?!

I do go there. I live in Archers Road Halls, which is probably the one that gets best access to the night life. I've never needed a taxi to go to/from a club except from Oceana (although everyone needs taxis to get to Oceana).
Reply 5
Switch, Jesters, Tokyo, Orange rooms, Sobar, Yates, Spitfire, Cafe Parfait, Oceana, Royal Oak, Social, Junk, Kellys, Buddha, Pop world, Nineties, Vodka Revs etc... There's always something going on down here!! It's fair to say Southampton impressed me. Lots of love from your little brother Southampton solent xox
Hi !

I got a direct offer letter for MA Marketing from Solent Southampton, but I'm worried about the city, course value and placement system in UK. Can you please help me out and clear my doubts.

Thanks
Sanya

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending