The Student Room Group

Which Uni Course Should I do? Please Help!

Hi so I applied to study Dentistry back in October and I received all 4 interview invitations but have been rejected by 3 so far. I don't think I will get a place at the last uni and am unsure whether it is the right career path for me. I got 6A*s 4As at GCSE, 4As at AS in Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Geography and am predicted A*AA at A2. I now have no idea what to do.

I am also interested in business/economics/maths but have no idea what course to study at university or which university to look at. I want to study something I enjoy but that also has good career prospects and is challenging. I don't mind taking a gap year and would like to volunteer abroad/travel and work but would also need to get some experience in the career path that I choose. Do I wait and apply for something through clearing? Do I apply for something now? Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you so much!
Original post by gate26
Hi so I applied to study Dentistry back in October and I received all 4 interview invitations but have been rejected by 3 so far. I don't think I will get a place at the last uni and am unsure whether it is the right career path for me. I got 6A*s 4As at GCSE, 4As at AS in Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Geography and am predicted A*AA at A2. I now have no idea what to do.

I am also interested in business/economics/maths but have no idea what course to study at university or which university to look at. I want to study something I enjoy but that also has good career prospects and is challenging. I don't mind taking a gap year and would like to volunteer abroad/travel and work but would also need to get some experience in the career path that I choose. Do I wait and apply for something through clearing? Do I apply for something now? Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you so much!

Did you get feedback on your rejections? If you're absolutely sure you want to give up on dentistry then you could look at courses available in extra but you would have to request that universities accept an alternative statement. Personally, i d say do some more research and dont rush your decision, deciding to check out clearing in august would give you much more time to make a decision and then worst case scenario you could then take a gap year.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Did you get feedback on your rejections? If you're absolutely sure you want to give up on dentistry then you could look at courses available in extra but you would have to request that universities accept an alternative statement. Personally, i d say do some more research and dont rush your decision, deciding to check out clearing in august would give you much more time to make a decision and then worst case scenario you could then take a gap year.

Thanks for the reply. I asked for feedback from Cardiff about 2 months ago and didn't receive any. I rang them to chase it but didn't really get anywhere. Birmingham don't offer feedback and so I've just not bothered with Newcastle. I have been trying to look for another course for a while now and still can't decide. All I know is that I'd want to do a 4 year sandwich course to increase employability/experience.
Original post by gate26
Thanks for the reply. I asked for feedback from Cardiff about 2 months ago and didn't receive any. I rang them to chase it but didn't really get anywhere. Birmingham don't offer feedback and so I've just not bothered with Newcastle. I have been trying to look for another course for a while now and still can't decide. All I know is that I'd want to do a 4 year sandwich course to increase employability/experience.

Sorry to hear that they didnt give you feedback. Have you had a look on unistats to see what graduates of the degrees you are considering go on to do? that might help :smile:
Reply 4
I'm on that now, thanks! I'm just a bit lost on which courses to look at as there are so many
Original post by gate26
I'm on that now, thanks! I'm just a bit lost on which courses to look at as there are so many

You would have an awful lot of choice with those grades, its not something that suits everybody but you could consider doing a joint degree to combine interests such as economics and maths for instance?
There are many things you could do including Biochemistry or Medical Sciences, Pharmacy, Economics, Computer Science, Accountancy, Business Studies' Environmental Science and various Engineering degrees. You could also study single or joint degrees involving your A level subjects. The one issue that might hinder you is that for Maths and sometimes Economics or Computer Science some universities prefer Further Maths although this tends to apply to apply to a very small group including the likes of Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, Durham, Warwick and Bath and possibly a couple of others . With your predicted grades you are likely to be offered places in most other universities.
Reply 7
After doing some research I found that I like the idea of Economics. I know I'll need to email the unis and see if they're willing to give me a place but how do I go about this? Can I only look at courses that are in Extra? Are the others full?
Original post by gate26
After doing some research I found that I like the idea of Economics. I know I'll need to email the unis and see if they're willing to give me a place but how do I go about this? Can I only look at courses that are in Extra? Are the others full?

Probably yes although there are likely to be some excellent options available in Extra. I know LSE prefer Further Maths for Economics so check the entry requirements out.
Original post by gate26

What will you do if your fourth dentistry choice gives you an offer? Is your desire to change course wholly or largely the result of the three rejections?
Reply 10
Original post by ageshallnot
What will you do if your fourth dentistry choice gives you an offer? Is your desire to change course wholly or largely the result of the three rejections?

They rejected me last night which confirmed my decision. I've always had it in the back of my mind but kept thinking 'but I've come this far so may as well see it through' and I didn't want to disappoint anyone but realised this shouldn't matter.
Reply 11
Original post by swanseajack1
Probably yes although there are likely to be some excellent options available in Extra. I know LSE prefer Further Maths for Economics so check the entry requirements out.

There are, yeah. Do you mind giving me an idea of what to say in the email? Thanks for all your help!
Original post by gate26
There are, yeah. Do you mind giving me an idea of what to say in the email? Thanks for all your help!

I would suggest phoning the uni you are thinking of and say something like I am thinking of applying for your course in Extra. Do you still have spaces available. If so, ask, am likely to be considered with my predicted grades and outline them. If they are interested you would need to decline any offers you have or are awaiting then apply to that uni. Here are a number of courses available from excellent unis Bath Economics and Maths
Exeter Economics Flexible Combine Honours
Bristol, Lancaster, Nottingham, and York Economics.
Exeter do a flexible combined honours course where you can combine Economics with almost every other subject they do and it might suit you. Bath are one of the leading Maths courses in the UK.
Reply 13
I would suggest phoning the uni you are thinking of and say something like I am thinking of applying for your course in Extra. Do you still have spaces available. If so, ask, am likely to be considered with my predicted grades and outline them. If they are interested you would need to decline any offers you have or are awaiting then apply to that uni. Here are a number of courses available from excellent unis Bath Economics and Maths
Exeter Economics Flexible Combine Honours
Bristol, Lancaster, Nottingham, and York Economics.
Exeter do a flexible combined honours course where you can combine Economics with almost every other subject they do and it might suit you. Bath are one of the leading Maths courses in the UK.

I emailed a number of unis a few days ago but because of the bank holiday they all replied this morning. They all said they are happy to consider my application but I would need to write a new personal statement. Do you think there is any way of moulding my dentistry work experience to accommodate an economics course? Just asking as Liverpool said my dentistry work experience will not hinder my application in any way, is that suggesting i should include it?
Thank you for all the time you've taken to reply!
Original post by gate26
I emailed a number of unis a few days ago but because of the bank holiday they all replied this morning. They all said they are happy to consider my application but I would need to write a new personal statement. Do you think there is any way of moulding my dentistry work experience to accommodate an economics course? Just asking as Liverpool said my dentistry work experience will not hinder my application in any way, is that suggesting i should include it?

Hopefully one of the experts on PS such as PQ or CLR might be able to help you more on this. I would try a PM to someone like that. Good to hear the unis are considering you. Which unis are they
Reply 15
Hopefully one of the experts on PS such as PQ or CLR might be able to help you more on this. I would try a PM to someone like that. Good to hear the unis are considering you. Which unis are they

I don't use TSR much, who are they/how do I contact them? Yeah, I think it's because they still have spaces so may as well aha. I contacted Newcastle, Manchester, Leeds and Liverpool. Thanks
Original post by gate26

I'll move this over to PS advice for you, but I'd say that they are only going to want to hear about the aspects of your work experience that relate to economics, and my advice is 'if it don't fit, don't force it.' Economics isn't a course which requires work experience. Like all other courses, it requires you to show you understand what the course entails, that you have the right qualities for it and the interest to sustain three years after a sudden change of heart. If there are economic relevancies to your work experience, by all means use them, but don't say much about it. They can see from your original PS that dentistry was your first love. You've now got to convince them that that affair is over and you are ready to make a new commitment. You will find examples in the PS bank and you can try the PS builder tool.
Reply 17
Ok that makes sense, I wouldn't say any of it really relates so I think I'll leave it out. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending