The Student Room Group

How do I get funding for a 3 year degree if I have a CertHE

I did the introduction to health sciences course for city university and completed the year but then applied to KCL for a degree in philosophy. Whilst I was waiting for student finance to accept my application they told me my application is accepted but I won’t be eligible for student finance support?? What am I supposed to do? I’m not sure if I should appeal for a CPR claim because I completed my CertHE so not sure if that will just be useless. I would really appreciate some advice or support.

Is there no way I can just claim my CertHE as my gift year??
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by Js2468
I did the introduction to health sciences course for city university and completed the year but then applied to KCL for a degree in philosophy. Whilst I was waiting for student finance to accept my application they told me my application is accepted but I won’t be eligible for student finance support?? What am I supposed to do? I’m not sure if I should appeal for a CPR claim because I completed my CertHE so not sure if that will just be useless. I would really appreciate some advice or support.

Is there no way I can just claim my CertHE as my gift year??

Hi there,

Just to confirm, is your application showing as approved on your account at the moment?

Thanks, Graeme

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-register-login
Reply 2
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,

Just to confirm, is your application showing as approved on your account at the moment?

Thanks, Graeme

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-register-login

Hi,
Thank you for your response.

It says “Your application has been approved. Once we've confirmed all of your details, you'll be ready to receive your payments” but the letter i received in the mail said that I will get “zero entitlement to core finance due to ELQ”

I’m really not sure what I should do? Do I ask my uni to take away my certhe?
Original post by Js2468
Hi,
Thank you for your response.

It says “Your application has been approved. Once we've confirmed all of your details, you'll be ready to receive your payments” but the letter i received in the mail said that I will get “zero entitlement to core finance due to ELQ”

I’m really not sure what I should do? Do I ask my uni to take away my certhe?

Hi there,

If you can contact us via the live chat in your account and we can look into this for you.

Thanks, Jason
Reply 4
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi there,

If you can contact us via the live chat in your account and we can look into this for you.

Thanks, Jason

Hi,

I spoke with someone on sfe and they said that I need to provide a cover letter explaining the course I did only gave me a certificate of higher education and that it’s just a course not a full length degree. On the city website it says that I’m eligible for 3 more years of funding after the introduction to health sciences foundation course. I’m not sure why sfe said that I’m entitled to zero if I didn’t get a degree..
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by Js2468
Hi,

I spoke with someone on sfe and they said that I need to provide a cover letter explaining the course I did only gave me a certificate of higher education and that it’s just a course not a full length degree. On the city website it says that I’m eligible for 3 more years of funding after the introduction to health sciences foundation course. I’m not sure why sfe said that I’m entitled to zero if I didn’t get a degree..

Hi
there,

If you send a cover lettering explaining the situation and proof of the qualification you received, the team will then review this for you.

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 6
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi
there,

If you send a cover lettering explaining the situation and proof of the qualification you received, the team will then review this for you.

Thanks,
Claire

Hi,

They keep extending the time to which they will respond to my query. They said they will respond in July but now they’re saying that they will respond in august..Is it possible that I will get student finance in time to pay the uni loan at the start of my course?

Thanks.
Original post by Js2468
Hi,

They keep extending the time to which they will respond to my query. They said they will respond in July but now they’re saying that they will respond in august..Is it possible that I will get student finance in time to pay the uni loan at the start of my course?

Thanks.

Hi there,

Can you please confirm on what date you uploaded your evidence?

Do you have any children or other dependents?

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 8
Hi there,

Can you please confirm on what date you uploaded your evidence?

Do you have any children or other dependents?

Thanks, Graeme

Hi,

June 27th I think and no I don’t.

Thank you.
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by Js2468
Hi,

June 27th I think and no I don’t.

Thank you.

Thanks, were currently processing evidence in 18 working days, so this should be done around the 21st of July.

It's also possible it will be done sooner, so please check your account and e-mails for any updates.

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 10
Thanks, were currently processing evidence in 18 working days, so this should be done around the 21st of July.

It's also possible it will be done sooner, so please check your account and e-mails for any updates.

Thanks, Graeme

Hi,

They said my application cannot be accepted because I passed and gained a qualification. I don’t understand because I only gained a certhe which is not a bachelors degree. Do I ask my old uni to take back my qualification!!

They are now saying to send a PN1 form application as I never attended uni in 2021-22 when I applied (my sister made a mistake when I was applying for uni and accidentally applied for 2021-22 which was later deleted as I didn’t go to that uni nor did I get payments for it.)

The lady on the phone said that I can use that year that I didn’t end up using for my first year and to complete a PN1 form but I don’t understand?

can anyone help? Please!!
Original post by Js2468
Hi,

They said my application cannot be accepted because I passed and gained a qualification. I don’t understand because I only gained a certhe which is not a bachelors degree. Do I ask my old uni to take back my qualification!!

They are now saying to send a PN1 form application as I never attended uni in 2021-22 when I applied (my sister made a mistake when I was applying for uni and accidentally applied for 2021-22 which was later deleted as I didn’t go to that uni nor did I get payments for it.)

The lady on the phone said that I can use that year that I didn’t end up using for my first year and to complete a PN1 form but I don’t understand?

can anyone help? Please!!

Hi there,

Yes, you would need to complete the PN1 form if the previous application was withdrawn/deleted. You also would need to ensure that the previous study section indicates that your highest qualification is the HNC and not an equal level qualification. It may be best to include a copy of your qualification or transcripts from the university confirming that you do not hold the same level of qualification.

Student Finance England
PO Box 210
Darlington
DL1 9HJ

Thanks, Clare

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending