The Student Room Group

The Running Thread Mk II

Scroll to see replies

I have had a blocked nose for years now. Would this hinder my running?
Original post by 1lastchance
I have had a blocked nose for years now. Would this hinder my running?

Running will probably help actually.
I ran the Tokyo Marathon on Sunday. Not particularly quickly (4h55m), but as I only started running 4 months ago after being accepted, and as this was my first race of any distance, i'm very happy. Happy that I actually did it more than anything!

It was a pretty incredible experience, and hopefully the first of many. Itching to get out there and continue improving... just as soon as my legs recover :lol:
Reply 783
70-min run :smile:
ran just over marathon distance by accident. Was planning 22 miles as my final long run before tapering but was in the zone and didn't check strava. Feel surprisingly ok but need to recover, barca in less than 2 weeks
Reply 785
70-min run :smile:
Regardless of how far you run, you can't escape the failure that you are.
Original post by Cll_ws
I ran the Tokyo Marathon on Sunday. Not particularly quickly (4h55m), but as I only started running 4 months ago after being accepted, and as this was my first race of any distance, i'm very happy. Happy that I actually did it more than anything!

It was a pretty incredible experience, and hopefully the first of many. Itching to get out there and continue improving... just as soon as my legs recover :lol:

Sounds great! Why Tokyo in particular? What was the course like? And the weather?

I'd love to travel for a marathon but I do like the UK climate for running.
Original post by offhegoes
Sounds great! Why Tokyo in particular? What was the course like? And the weather?

I'd love to travel for a marathon but I do like the UK climate for running.

I'm living in Tokyo for a short-period at the moment, came here in December to study.

The course is pretty flat. The first 10km is mostly downhill, and then it's flat until around 35km where you hit a couple of uphill stretches before the end.
The Japanese crowd line the entire course start to finish, and are so enthusiastic. With it being my first marathon, that definitely helped! Though I expected nothing less having been here a while, great country, great people!

The weather was great. Mild, but sunny. I actually got a little burnt, embarrassingly! My pale British skin isn't used to seeing sun this time of year!
I went for an extended run on Tuesday, I only usually do one 20 minute run and a game of football for my cardio.

But yeah anyway, my boxers fell down, was annoying.
Original post by nexttime
Running will probably help actually.

What about rhinitis?
Completed Barcelona Marathon in 5:47

Was looking at getting a good sub4 (maybe sub 3:45) until about halfway when a small knee pain that I had tried to stretch out when I first noticed it turned into bad inflammation. Spent 15 mins on a physio table and had to hobble the rest of the way.

Was quite frustrating as I had been looking forward to my first marathon but there's Stockholm in June that I am already signed up to and I will be training for once I'm well rested and healed. If all goes well and I can complete it in tact, that'll be it for me and long distance!

On the bright side Barcelona was incredible!
(edited 8 years ago)
Just entered two 10ks in May, three weeks apart. Aim by the second one is to break 32 minutes. Tall ask but doable.
Reply 793
Gonna do a 10k run in the summer. Want to do it in 35mins but my realistic aim is 40mins.
Reply 794
Original post by Nichrome
35 minutes is very quick, what sort of paces do you run in training?

I'm able to run a mile in about 8 minutes for 5 miles. So that's around 50 minutes for a 10k.
Original post by bammy jastard 27
I'm able to run a mile in about 8 minutes for 5 miles. So that's around 50 minutes for a 10k.

Huge step up from that to a 45 min 10K, let alone 40 or 35! Hope you're planning to really commit to that goal.
Reply 796
Original post by nexttime
Huge step up from that to a 45 min 10K, let alone 40 or 35! Hope you're planning to really commit to that goal.

Well I have a very good base level of fitness. I've been eating junk recently over the easter period which is a problem but I'm stabilising myself and I probably am able to run for 10K quite comfortably in 55 without killing myself if I was asked to do it tomorrow, really I think an hours work of running for 4 sessions a week should get me towards that goal. I think my main issue is that I eat crap(man I love my haribos) but I do a lot of work physically.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 797
Original post by Nichrome
Yeah, I think 35 mins is a touch optimistic. It takes a lot of work and training to get that fast. I think sub 45 is realistic for you though, especially if you put some miles in and improve your diet a bit (though saying that, my diet is terrible!).

Yeah I agree. I'm making 35mins my more optimistic goal but I'm not sure if I'll get that. I just feel like I can do much better though, I've never really struggled in these long distance runs, I've never really felt like I've realised my full potential, I'm literally going at a pace I could do for another 10k. I put my headphones in and I don't stop running. Surely if I'm doing competition/PB pace, I should be struggling at one point during the run other than the first half mile.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey guys!

I've started getting back into running for the past month or so now. Only doing 5km for now as I am not the best long distance runner. I run 3/4 times a week and just looking to beat my own PB and to get fit too. I do go to the gym 3/4 times a week too as well. But running is my priority now and that comes before a gym session.

I was running 27 mins at first. Currently got my time down to 23:33 for a 5km route (that's my Liftime PB!!!) I am aiming to get sub 20 some day.

I was wondering if you guys had any tips? My aim at the moment is to try a keep my pace at 4:30/km and if I get that my time will be a maximum of 22:30 which would make me very happy. My course is pretty odd too (road, dirt, sand, up and down hill!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jimbles
Hey guys!

I've started getting back into running for the past month or so now. Only doing 5km for now as I am not the best long distance runner. I run 3/4 times a week and just looking to beat my own PB and to get fit too. I do go to the gym 3/4 times a week too as well. But running is my priority now and that comes before a gym session.

I was running 27 mins at first. Currently got my time down to 23:33 for a 5km route (that's my Liftime PB!!!) I am aiming to get sub 20 some day.

I was wondering if you guys had any tips? My aim at the moment is to try a keep my pace at 4:30/km and if I get that my time will be a maximum of 22:30 which would make me very happy. My course is pretty odd too (road, dirt, sand, up and down hill!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fartlek and hill repeats are great

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest