The Student Room Group

My Road to A* everywhere

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mac117
Oh, I see! Is the schooling in England 13 years long? It seems like all of you take the GCSEs in year 11, where as we do it in grade 10...

Well we go to high school until 16 and then from there we go to college for 2 years (Years 12 and 13) and then on to uni if we want. Schools used to let us take GCSEs iin Year 10 but then the government changed it so that the first attempt counted on school league tables so our school made us all wait until Year 11 for all of our exams

:smile:
Original post by brainzistheword
Thanks for your input - I just don't want to adopt your attitude - no offence :smile:

Well versed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Finally done all my notes! Now going review and do more past papers, you've really kept me motivated because of our similar aspirations! Probably post something on my blog about it!

How far have you got up to now? I need to do more past papers but there's not many left. :biggrin:
UPDATE FOR 30/03/16

Haven't done much today but anyways:

Neat notes on refraction

C6 Past paper

Draft notes on Life in Water

English Language past paper questions

Heroes revision

History relations after WW2 and war-time alliances

Notes on how a photocopier works (statics)

UPDATE FOR 30/03/16

Neat notes on refraction

C6 Past paper

Heroes revision

Still really nice! You sometimes should take it easy :wink: I'm still working on vectors, it's so boring haha
Original post by MezmorisedPotato
Finally done all my notes! Now going review and do more past papers, you've really kept me motivated because of our similar aspirations! Probably post something on my blog about it!

How far have you got up to now? I need to do more past papers but there's not many left. :biggrin:

Wowee well done!! I'm just doing notes after I've done past papers so I can see what I need to revise, as I feel there is no point doing notes on topics I already know :smile:

I'm trying to vary my revision but it kinda means that it is a bit disorganised, however, I find that past papers help me get back on track to find out what aelse I need to revise. Tomorrow I plan to do more past papers and type up history notes for the knowledge tests :smile:
Original post by Mac117
Still really nice! You sometimes should take it easy :wink: I'm still working on vectors, it's so boring haha

Thank you! I've been doing very little today because I had to cook tea which took up a good couple of hours, but anyways it was a good break and made a change :smile:

I really like vectors - but have fun haha :biggrin:
Thank you and yes 5 A levels is the plan, hopefully I'll cope. I do enjoy a competition so, sure, I'll be that competitive edge you need - it should help us both :biggrin:

In terms of getting better I can't really improve grade wise but I would love to walk away with as close to 100% in each test as I can, so that's what my biggest target is!

Good luck to you too and I'm sure with the work you are putting in now, you will achieve very good grades by August - all the best!

If you ever need help I'm always here :smile:

Hey! Just out of curiosity, is it still possible to do 5 A levels? Because we got told that we could only do a max of 4 due to the changes to the A levels. Idk if it's different in other places :smile:
Original post by keerthik
Hey! Just out of curiosity, is it still possible to do 5 A levels? Because we got told that we could only do a max of 4 due to the changes to the A levels. Idk if it's different in other places :smile:

If you request it and they think you can pass the extra a level then yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wowee well done!! I'm just doing notes after I've done past papers so I can see what I need to revise, as I feel there is no point doing notes on topics I already know :smile:

I'm trying to vary my revision but it kinda means that it is a bit disorganised, however, I find that past papers help me get back on track to find out what aelse I need to revise. Tomorrow I plan to do more past papers and type up history notes for the knowledge tests :smile:

Awesome! April is being dedicated for review and practise. I'm sure with the hard work, you'll do exceptional! Your approach is slightly different to mine as I do notes then do past papers then review my weaknesses. But it's all about what's best for us as long as it gets the grades! :tongue:
Good luck, can't wait for everything to be over! Looking forward to college so much :biggrin:
Original post by MR.ANONYMOUS 786

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really?? Wow, our school really don't seem like they want to risk it xD

Original post by MR.ANONYMOUS 786

Posted from TSR Mobile

I put it on my application and one college said they wouldn't stop me doing them, the other one suggested I take 5 in the first place, but I don't know if they will change their minds :smile:
Awesome! April is being dedicated for review and practise. I'm sure with the hard work, you'll do exceptional! Your approach is slightly different to mine as I do notes then do past papers then review my weaknesses. But it's all about what's best for us as long as it gets the grades! :tongue:
Good luck, can't wait for everything to be over! Looking forward to college so much :biggrin:

Yes April is going to be a very studious month I think, and I'm sure you will be exceptional too, after all, you deserve to be :smile:

Good luck to you too and I'm so looking forward to college (but just wait and this time next year we will be wishing we were still at school :wink:)
Yes April is going to be a very studious month I think, and I'm sure you will be exceptional too, after all, you deserve to be :smile:

Good luck to you too and I'm so looking forward to college (but just wait and this time next year we will be wishing we were still at school :wink:)

Yeah the work gets much more intense then but hard work will pull us through :smile:
I put it on my application and one college said they wouldn't stop me doing them, the other one suggested I take 5 in the first place, but I don't know if they will change their minds :smile:

That's amazing! I wish you good luck with them! BTW, I'm doing geology for gcse rn and it's a lot like geography but there's nothing about people. Just rocks and how geology influences landforms and things like earthquakes and volcanoes. Oh and there was this hugee chapter we did about deposition, erosion and weathering that took us like 3 months to complete cx
Yeah the work gets much more intense then but hard work will pull us through :smile:

I definitely hope so :biggrin:

That's amazing! I wish you good luck with them! BTW, I'm doing geology for gcse rn and it's a lot like geography but there's nothing about people. Just rocks and how geology influences landforms and things like earthquakes and volcanoes. Oh and there was this hugee chapter we did about deposition, erosion and weathering that took us like 3 months to complete cx

Thank you! And thanks for telling me what geology is like at gcse, we never got offered it but I take Geography and prefer the physical side, so it has been helpful to find out what you study.

Thank you again and the best of luck with your studies :smile: If you need help let me know
Well tbh I was talking to a friend and I said that even if I knew everything that ever could be asked I would still feel unconfident and want to do more :smile:

That is true :smile: x
UPDATE FOR 30/03/16

Neat notes on refraction

C6 Past paper

Heroes revision

well done!
Oops, I forgot to update you guys yesterday SORRY! I didn’tget much done because I was out but I will be cracking on today.

Notes:
Giant IonicStructures
Simple Molecules
Giant covalent and metallic structures
Nanoscience& Calculations
Effects on Temperature, S.A, catalysts
Endothermic and Exothermic
reactions Acids and Alkalis
Electrolysis&Electroplating

Past Papers

Chemistry Unit 2 2012
Chemistry Unit 2 2013