The Student Room Group

Scary thought about flying - someone could open door mid air?!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jneill
Cabin pressure prevents it from opening even if unlocked.

THANK YOU

Original post by EricPiphany
So how is it opened?

Cabin pressure is gradually stabilised as the plane descends. Allowing the door to open normally. Think of a car sinking into a lake. You wouldn't be able to open the car door to escape until the car had filled up with water and most probably had sunk to the bottom of the lake.
Reply 21
I think it is impossible to open these doors when in flight.
Reply 22
Original post by iEthan
Think of a car sinking into a lake. You wouldn't be able to open the car door to escape until the car had filled up with water and most probably had sunk to the bottom of the lake.

Not a good plan :frown:

That's exactly what this guy was thinking - didn't end well...

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/21/co-donegal-pier-accident-unspeakable-tragedy-visited-on-family
Original post by jneill

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/21/co-donegal-pier-accident-unspeakable-tragedy-visited-on-family

That's so sad
Original post by jneill

Shame :frown: will try not to sink!!
Original post by iEthan
THANK YOU

Cabin pressure is gradually stabilised as the plane descends. Allowing the door to open normally. Think of a car sinking into a lake. You wouldn't be able to open the car door to escape until the car had filled up with water and most probably had sunk to the bottom of the lake.

Even if you were reaaaaaaaaaaally strong?
Original post by hezzlington

My analogy got debunked already :cry2:
Reply 28
Original post by hezzlington

Original post by iEthan
My analogy got debunked already

Not entirely.

Best thing is to open the doors BEFORE the water level gets too high. Failing that, open (or break) the windows and escape that way. Failing that the waiting bit is your last chance but the likelihood is panic and disorientation will make escape very difficult...
Original post by davidguettafan
What if someone opened the door mid flight? And I was walking back to my seat after going to toilet so I didn't have my seatbelt on?

I would get sucked out the plane :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

it's impossible to do
and you don't wear a seat belt except during take-off and landing
Reply 30
Original post by davidguettafan
What if someone opened the door mid flight? And I was walking back to my seat after going to toilet so I didn't have my seatbelt on?

I would get sucked out the plane :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wouldn't happen - you'd have to be a bodybuilder to open those things mid-flight.
They can't open.

There is a 'weight on wheels' circuit breaker in most aircraft, so unless there is an aircraft's worth of weight on the undercarriage, the whole door function is inoperative, unless you pop the circuit breaker, which is on the flight deck.

In the first instance it clearly says "just before take off", ie, the plane is still on the ground.

In the second one it again clearly says "just after landing", so again, the plane is on the ground.

As 3pd clearly said that the weight needs to be on the wheels, what part are you finding tricky?
Reply 33
Original post by Drewski
In the first instance it clearly says "just before take off", ie, the plane is still on the ground.

In the second one it again clearly says "just after landing", so again, the plane is on the ground.

As 3pd clearly said that the weight needs to be on the wheels, what part are you finding tricky?

Ah, mea culpa. I knew the plane was on the ground... doh!

I'm deleting my post for shame...
Original post by jneill
Ah, mea culpa. I knew the plane was on the ground... doh!

I'm deleting my post for shame...

Tis OK, you've probably got a Mover in the family somewhere :wink:
*This might be a really stupid question so pardon me*

If the cabin pressure prevents the doors from opening in high altitudes, how can people jump out of planes (in the case of an accident or something, or even perhaps people who do skydiving)?
Reply 36
Original post by TianaEsther

If the cabin pressure prevents the doors from opening in high altitudes, how can people jump out of planes (in the case of an accident or something, or even perhaps people who do skydiving)?

Those doors open outwards, not inwards. And skydiving is rarely from higher than 14,000ft - so pressure drop is not so extreme.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TianaEsther

As above, those doors open the other way, plus they will almost always take place from unpressurised aircraft, where there is no issue.
Didn't that happen in Charlie's Angels ?
Original post by jneill
Those doors open outwards, not inwards. And skydiving is rarely from higher than 14,000ft - so pressure drop is not so extreme.

Oh I understand the skydiving one, but what about people who are evacuating a plane or something?

Quick Reply

Latest