The Student Room Group

Computing A-level

Hi, I'm wanting to take Computing (AKA Computer Science) for A-level (and study it at university), but I've read on TSR that some parts of it are very difficult and that some people regret taking the A-level.

So could anyone who has taken or is currently taking the subject for A-level please inform me about it and the controlled assessments in particular because in GCSE they're very time-consuming, confused and disorganised, although that may just be because we haven't been taught anything (and please include your exam board)?

Thanks.
I am doing my first year of A level Computing and I did it at GCSE.

I got an A in OCR GCSE Computing, probably my hardest GCSE that I did but that might be because we weren't taught anything as well.

I find A level computing (AQA) far more enjoyable (maybe because we have a proper teacher). Half of it is theory and half programming (I do Python). There is a programming project in the 2nd year, not the 1st year. This is new specification so I am doing 2 exams at the end of the 2nd year. One of which will involve programming. In the first year a lot of the theory is similar to GCSE but in more depth. The 2nd year looks like it will cover completely new topics. I particularly enjoy programming where we are currently doing GUIs using Tkinter.

I find the subject very enjoyable. If you enjoy maths and solving puzzles, then go for it.
Reply 2
Original post by Tuffyandtab
I am doing my first year of A level Computing and I did it at GCSE.

I got an A in OCR GCSE Computing, probably my hardest GCSE that I did but that might be because we weren't taught anything as well.

I find A level computing (AQA) far more enjoyable (maybe because we have a proper teacher). Half of it is theory and half programming (I do Python). There is a programming project in the 2nd year, not the 1st year. This is new specification so I am doing 2 exams at the end of the 2nd year. One of which will involve programming. In the first year a lot of the theory is similar to GCSE but in more depth. The 2nd year looks like it will cover completely new topics. I particularly enjoy programming where we are currently doing GUIs using Tkinter.

I find the subject very enjoyable. If you enjoy maths and solving puzzles, then go for it.

Thank you, very helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest