The Student Room Group

What is it actually like studying nursing at university?

Is it good? Is there a lot of science and chemistry involved? Or is there a lot to do with care etc? Is nursing at university how you thought it would be?
Original post by Bonnie2512
Is it good? Is there a lot of science and chemistry involved? Or is there a lot to do with care etc? Is nursing at university how you thought it would be?

HI

I've moved this into the Nursing and Midwifery forum (the Healthcare forum is for other health professionals). Hopefully someone here will be able to help - if noone responds soon then try reading/posting in the stickied chat threads:smile:
Original post by Bonnie2512

My first year there was a lot of science.
The adult nursing students in the second year then go into more detailed science as they're focusing more on it.
As I do learning disability we focus more on genetics etc so we have to know about that.
It would all depend in the field of nursing. But generally most universities now have an anatomy and physiology module as you are working with people and their health so you need to understand how illnesses etc occur and manifest within the individual.
You will also need to know how medications work, this is where you will touch on chemistry and how medication has a half life and how they metabolise within the body etc. Especially when you're looking at diabetes as that is on the increase.
Nursing at university is brilliant and I have learnt a lot so far, but I have found there are massive differences in how universities teach nursing. Some have a lot of exams (I do) whereas others I know are all written work and barely any exams.
It's a good course, no matter where you go as you still have to learn the same competencies to be signed off as a registered nurse at the end of the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending