The Student Room Group

Durham or Leeds?

Scroll to see replies

Leeds
Reply 21
Original post by Princepieman
It's not really about which degree you do, that's mostly fluff. Getting into IB/Law requires you to a) be at a good uni (which Leeds is), that's preferably targeted by banks/law firms (Durham), b) have good grades (A*s, As and Bs at A-level, 2:1 or 1st etc), c) show interest/general knowledge towards the role and industry and be able to communicate it in an interview, d) have leadership skills developed by leading things, volunteering, sports, extra curricular stuff. Neither IB or Law particularly pay much attention to the degree subject, but more to who you are as a person. Although, yeah, a language degree could come in handy when dealing with international clients; you could play that angle.

Thanks! A lot of people have told me that you have to be a "rounded" person with some work experience too. So there's a possibility that I could still go into IB with a degree from Leeds?
Reply 22
Original post by ellie0497
Leeds

Are you going to Leeds? :smile:
Original post by reenie.stp
Thanks! A lot of people have told me that you have to be a "rounded" person with some work experience too. So there's a possibility that I could still go into IB with a degree from Leeds?

Yeah, if you tick all the boxes! My friend is at Leeds and has done alright IB wise.
Reply 24
Original post by Princepieman
Yeah, if you tick all the boxes! My friend is at Leeds and has done alright IB wise.

That's really great to hear! Congrats to them! :biggrin: I'm glad you've said that because so many people have said to me to just pick Durham because of the prestige because it'll get me a way better job.
Are you going to Leeds? :smile:

No but I went to the uni and it is amazing
Reply 26
Some people saying that you should go to Durham because of prestige, even if prestige does matter the benefits of Durham over Leeds will be so little I doubt it would make a difference, it's not as if it's between Durham and Leeds Beckett.
Reply 27
Original post by ellie0497
No but I went to the uni and it is amazing

Yay! That's awesome! So many people have told me good things! :smile: What did you study there, if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 28
Original post by JW22
Some people saying that you should go to Durham because of prestige, even if prestige does matter the benefits of Durham over Leeds will be so little I doubt it would make a difference, it's not as if it's between Durham and Leeds Beckett.

I thought a similar thing to be honest - Leeds is still a Russell Group uni, so it's obviously not bad. It's just that some people have told me Durham's prestige will get me a better job in the future - if it weren't for people saying this, I think I wouldn't really be considering it (and the fact that it's a really pretty city).
I don't know if you've chosen yet, but I would definitely say go for Leeds.

I've applied for Japanese too, so can kind of relate to your question. The Japanese course at Durham is quite new and underdeveloped, whereas Leeds has an amazing faculty and course (a lot better than Durham). Also the fact that you'd be coming out with a high level in both Japanese and Chinese is a bonus. At Durham that wouldn't be possible. I don't think you should choose a university just because of its prestige. Leeds and Durham are both Russell Group universities, so an employer is not going to massively favour one over the other. They are not that far apart in rankings either (it's not like you're comparing Oxford and Leeds, for example).

I would never really advise anyone to choose a uni just because of its ranking. It's where you're going to be studying for 4 or 5 years (in the case of Leeds), so it's even more important that you enjoy the course and come out with the skillset you think is going to benefit you best. Besides, once you graduate, there's always the opportunity of going and doing a Master's at somewhere like Oxford, which I can only assume would be even more favourably looked at by an employer, especially if you're planning on going into IB which is very competitive!
I'd say, go with Leeds. However, you need to sharpen up your analytical and decision-making skills, given your career aspirations.
Reply 31
Original post by TheTechN1304
I don't know if you've chosen yet, but I would definitely say go for Leeds.

I've applied for Japanese too, so can kind of relate to your question. The Japanese course at Durham is quite new and underdeveloped, whereas Leeds has an amazing faculty and course (a lot better than Durham). Also the fact that you'd be coming out with a high level in both Japanese and Chinese is a bonus. At Durham that wouldn't be possible. I don't think you should choose a university just because of its prestige. Leeds and Durham are both Russell Group universities, so an employer is not going to massively favour one over the other. They are not that far apart in rankings either (it's not like you're comparing Oxford and Leeds, for example).

I would never really advise anyone to choose a uni just because of its ranking. It's where you're going to be studying for 4 or 5 years (in the case of Leeds), so it's even more important that you enjoy the course and come out with the skillset you think is going to benefit you best. Besides, once you graduate, there's always the opportunity of going and doing a Master's at somewhere like Oxford, which I can only assume would be even more favourably looked at by an employer, especially if you're planning on going into IB which is very competitive!

Thanks for your response! I applied to Oxford and had an interview, but was then rejected. I'm quite happy about it seeing as I don't think I would have enjoyed the focus on literature and traditional Japanese texts in the course there. Just to let you know Durham is only 3 places behind Oxford in the Complete University Guide rankings (5th), so it's not like there's that much difference between Oxford and Durham (in terms of ranking). The difference between both of those universities and Leeds is quite similar - Leeds is 19th.

I am thinking about taking an MA after my degree but I might take it in Chinese rather than Japanese, however it also depends upon funding. I've also been told (by a banker) to not bother with an MA and just get ACA qualified.
Reply 32
Original post by DrSocSciences
I'd say, go with Leeds. However, you need to sharpen up your analytical and decision-making skills, given your career aspirations.

Thank you for your response and your advice. Do you have any suggestions as to how I could improve those skills?
Usual thing: strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, opportunity costs, and identifying then ranking your criteria, and mapping each scenario in quantified way.

Then if you don't like the indicated winner, go with the other option whilst accepting that it's a subjective process.
Usual thing: strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, opportunity costs, and identifying then ranking your criteria, and mapping each scenario in quantified way.

Then if you don't like the indicated winner, go with the other option whilst accepting that it's a subjective process.

This ^

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd go for Leeds - yes, Durham is slightly more prestigious, but university prestige only matters for specific professions (Law and IB come to mind) and actually, it doesn't matter too much to the rest of the world. Leeds is still a fantastic university either way, so it's not like you'll be severely disadvantaged!

What matters more is what you do during university - internships, volunteering, etc. Not to mention you'd have a better 3 years at Leeds than Durham cos lol, it's Durham. AND two languages is always very impressive!
Reply 36

Thanks for the advice. I was wondering about actual things I could do to improve those skills?
Reply 37
Original post by InadequateJusticex
I'd go for Leeds - yes, Durham is slightly more prestigious, but university prestige only matters for specific professions (Law and IB come to mind) and actually, it doesn't matter too much to the rest of the world. Leeds is still a fantastic university either way, so it's not like you'll be severely disadvantaged!

What matters more is what you do during university - internships, volunteering, etc. Not to mention you'd have a better 3 years at Leeds than Durham cos lol, it's Durham. AND two languages is always very impressive!

I was thinking about going into banking after university (or maybe law) so that's what's been worrying me about going to Leeds. I would rather study two languages at degree level than one, because I think it provides a greater set of skills than just one and also I really love studying languages.
I was thinking about going into banking after university (or maybe law) so that's what's been worrying me about going to Leeds. I would rather study two languages at degree level than one, because I think it provides a greater set of skills than just one and also I really love studying languages.

http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities

Leeds isn't doing too badly in that article so all hope is not lost! Like I said, it's all about how much experience you can get during your time as an undergraduate.
Thanks for the advice. I was wondering about actual things I could do to improve those skills?

Autonomous problem-solving is a good start.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending