The Student Room Group

How do I psychologically change someones mind?

I know picking the right words make a huge difference psychologically to change a persons mind.
What do I say/do to change a persons mind to come to an important event without pushing them away, or winding them up?
Reply 1
What do you want to say? What do you not want to say?
Reply 2
Original post by Virgili
What do you want to say? What do you not want to say?

I want to show that it means so much for him to be there, and that it is an important occasion and not something small that he can flake on. But I know I can guide his thoughts if I tried hard enough, I just can't think of words/sentences to do so.

I know I shouldn't say that he's expected to be there, purely because it means I'm demanding him to go when that will only push him away
Reply 3
Original post by Ceriidwen
I want to show that it means so much for him to be there, and that it is an important occasion and not something small that he can flake on. But I know I can guide his thoughts if I tried hard enough, I just can't think of words/sentences to do so.

I know I shouldn't say that he's expected to be there, purely because it means I'm demanding him to go when that will only push him away

So asking without sounding demanding? You don't want to force him, but you also want him there?

'It's really important to me and I would really appreciate it if you could come'
Reply 4
Original post by Virgili
So asking without sounding demanding? You don't want to force him, but you also want him there?

'It's really important to me and I would really appreciate it if you could come'

Exactly that! But I fear that saying that won't be enough :frown:
You condition them to that behaviour you want. Research Pavlovs dogs
Reply 6
Exactly that! But I fear that saying that won't be enough :frown:

Dear, if that's not enough to convince him of the gravity, I have three words for him.

'you are dumped'
Reply 7
Original post by Virgili
Dear, if that's not enough to convince him of the gravity, I have three words for him.

'you are dumped'

If only it was that simple :frown: it's actually a family member
Reply 8
Original post by samina_ay
You condition them to that behaviour you want. Research Pavlovs dogs

I don't think it's the same principle, I've learnt about Pavlovs research, and it's harder than just praising them if they decide to come.
It's that process of getting them to decide to come themselves without me telling them they should be there. It's hard to explain hope that makes sense haha.
I don't think it's the same principle, I've learnt about Pavlovs research, and it's harder than just praising them if they decide to come.
It's that process of getting them to decide to come themselves without me telling them they should be there. It's hard to explain hope that makes sense haha.

Oh right... so you need their mind to change and agree out of the blue? You need a magic wand hun haha
Reply 10
If only it was that simple :frown: it's actually a family member

Family members can be dumped to, being a relative is not an excuse to mistreat you.
Reply 11
Original post by samina_ay
Oh right... so you need their mind to change and agree out of the blue? You need a magic wand hun haha

To be completely honest, they should know how important it is to begin with, it's just directing them into the right path and hoping they make the right decision. But thank you for your help :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Virgili
Family members can be dumped to, being a relative is not an excuse to mistreat you.

That's true, as hard as it is to admit. I know it'll be end if they don't realise that it's important, and don't attend. Thanks for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending