The Student Room Group

Mature Students General.

27 y/o here. I've been given a conditional offer to attend Strathclyde uni this upcoming year. I've been in full-time employment for over 10 years, pretty much since leaving school.

I'm very excited about the prospect of attending university but the thought of leaving a steady wage for 4 years is terrifying me. Luckily, I have a bit of savings and no huge financial commitments but my savings will only go as far as a year at most.

Would love to hear from past mature students to tell me it's not as scary as it appears. For instance, Is it possible to work a part-time job while doing an Engineering degree?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Squire1998
27 y/o here. I've been given a conditional offer to attend Strathclyde uni this upcoming year. I've been in full-time employment for over 10 years, pretty much since leaving school.

I'm very excited about the prospect of attending university but the thought of leaving a steady wage for 4 years is terrifying me. Luckily, I have a bit of saving and no huge financial commitments but my savings will only go as far as a year at most.

Would love to hear from past mature students to tell me it's not as scary as it appears. For instance, Is it possible to work a part-time job while doing an Engineering degree?

I've moved this to our Mature Students forum where hopefully someone will come and answer.

It might also be worth posting in any stickied/busy applicant/student chat threads in the Engineering forum :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
I've moved this to our Mature Students forum where hopefully someone will come and answer.

It might also be worth posting in any stickied/busy applicant/student chat threads in the Engineering forum :smile:

Cool, thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I didn't even realise there was a dedicated Mature Student forum. I thought I was a special snowflake being a mature student but just by skimming through some of the other threads, I can see that I'm far from alone haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey Snowflake. :wink: I would try to keep term-time employment to a minimum if I were you. STEM subjects are pretty demanding on your time. A few hours a week will probably be manageable, but if you can keep employment to the summer months, your life will be easier.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending