The Student Room Group

Do you think slow replies indicate lack of interest?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by stargirl63
OP, if you exchange numbers, its better to call. I don't think it's fair to say "slow texters" don't have an interest. Yes of course you would put in more effort if you like that person, but this is still the early stages, they don't know if they like you yet. If you're meeting them online, give them your number and you can always block them later if you don't like them and don't want to talk to them...nothing lost.

I don't really like spending my evening texting someone about their hobbies, brothers and sisters, small talk, when you can divulge a lot more from a person (e.g. their sense of humour, banter, connection), with a 10 min phone call, rather than a whole evening of text. Texting isn't efficient if you want to get to know someone.

I'd suggest in future, you ask them to call you on their way home from work, or something like that, and have a little conversation.

Yes i agree i can't be bothered to text my friends with small talk.
Yes, sometimes slow replying means that person doesn't have much interest to chat with you. But this is not always true, the person might be busy with some other tasks.
Reply 22
Frankly you need to stop overthinking it. Just wait and see! Some people might take time to reply because they're not interested and others might take time to reply because they're generally busy. You can't generalise, because everybody is different.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also, messaging is not as engaging as call/video chat/meeting. So if you want to build a relationship fast, without it fizzling out in the first few days, move onto another means of contact.
If I reply slowly, I'm generally not that interested. Although talking in general, I think you can work that out from how they reply to you.
Not necessarily, I guess they could just be busy or purposely taking a long time to respond to test out how keen the other person is (the whole playing hard to get thing.) I'm so over all that game playing it's frustrating and ends up just making people upset and give up. It's so refreshing when a guy isn't afraid to show he's keen, I love that personally as I know where I stand. But I believe if they like you, they'll show you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
There may be a bit of game playing in these circumstance. But I think if you're keen replys will be fairly prompt.
Original post by tinkerbelle2
Not necessarily, I guess they could just be busy or purposely taking a long time to respond to test out how keen the other person is (the whole playing hard to get thing.) I'm so over all that game playing it's frustrating and ends up just making people upset and give up. It's so refreshing when a guy isn't afraid to show he's keen, I love that personally as I know where I stand. But I believe if they like you, they'll show you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!! I am so over it too. When I was younger I'm not going to lie, I played little games to get a reaction from a guy. These days I love when I meet someone that is straightforward. From day one my ex showed he was interested in me, I didn't ever have to question a thing. The last guy I dated was exactly the same, he didn't take years to respond. I'm glad someone else doesn't see it as too much to ask. I don't see why it's hard to take a minute to respond to a message (granted they are interested).
Original post by Zarek
There may be a bit of game playing in these circumstance. But I think if you're keen replys will be fairly prompt.

I agree, thank your!
Thank you for the input everyone, much appreciated! 😊
Reply 30
[QUOTE=Anonymous;63986753]I agree, thank your!Good luck. In my experience with persistence you find someone who is keen which is very refreshing and worth the wait.
Original post by ANM775
coming from a male perspective:
Online dating is very competitive if you are a male. Most males do not get a lot of replies or a lot of dates [or sex for that matter], sometimes males will cast wide nets and just send mass copy and paste style messages out .....just to see what comes his way and who might be interested. He might not actually be initially that interested in you or still on the fence about you, but tries to keep the convo going because he isn't swimming in options and isn't sure if he's interested or not.

when I was into online dating [am not anymore] I would sometimes do this, and I know a lot of other males who were far worst and would do this sort of thing all the time.

Here is a study on Tinder someone conducted:
http://worst-online-dater.tumblr.com/post/114619524524/tinder-experiments-ii-guys-unless-you-are

it's a long read but very interesting. especially for males.

it basically confirms what I had suspected for a long time about online dating which is that the 80/20 rule is in full effect on there. the top 20% of the guys are literally ****ing 80% of the women.

This results in many males casting wide nets in order to try and secure a female. Yes, you are going to get flaky males ....and males you are going to get flaky women ...it's just the nature of the online dating beast.

Hey.... I heard something similar before. I tried tinder and found that my matches were serial right swipers. Although it was quite frustrating at the time I understand how hard it must be for the male population. I had no luck on tinder, every guy except one ignored my messages and it made me think there was something wrong with me tbh. So when I found myself having more luck on this app I started to think that the tables have turned. So far my messages haven't been ignored but now guys take forever to respond to messages. From one extreme to the next.
Original post by Zarek
Good luck. In my experience with persistence you find someone who is keen which is very refreshing and worth the wait.

Thanks. I have experienced this before. Let's just hope lightning strikes twice
Guys hate chatting on phones, messaging.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SMEGGGY
Guys hate chatting on phones, messaging.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol every guy I've dated has texted me almost everyday and every so often we'd speak on the phone. I never ever got that vibe.
I don't think they always indicate a lack of interest.

Sometimes the person might just eager to impress and feel like they need to take the time to think about exactly what to say. Sometimes it's just the dynamic of the conversation, that people treat it more like texting (longer messages at less frequent intervals) than IM'ing (shorter messages that imitate a real life conversation). Or sometimes the person may genuinely be busy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending