The Student Room Group

Essex vs Newcastle vs Stirling vs York

Greetings!

I am a high school graduate from Greece. I am posting because I need to make a decision on my firm and insurance UCAS choices and I am wavering.

I have applied to PPE and similar programs and here are my offers:

1) The University of Essex - PPE (unconditional)

2) Newcastle University - Politics and Economics (conditional, asks for IELTS score)

3) University of Stirling - PPE (conditional, asks for IELTS score)

4) The University of York - I applied for PPE but I got an offer for Philosophy and Politics (conditional, asks for IELTS score)

Now, me taking the IELTS exams is not an issue. However, I will be doing that only if I don't firm Essex, otherwise there is no need to.

I am thinking of ruling out York, even though it is possibly the most prestigious of my options, on the grounds that I want to study a bit of economics. Even though I had excellent math grades, they will not let someone study economics without A-Level Math.

Also, I feel that both Essex and Newcastle are more prestigious and might be better than Stirling. The reason I applied to Stirling in the first place is because there is no tuition for EU students in Scotland. However, after finding out that Strathclyde, a university that is supposed to be better than Stirling, offers PPE and it is in Glasgow, I got a bit mad at myself for not applying there as well. Now it is too late, so I have to decide on my actual options.

Any thoughts on these options? I am mainly thinking to choose between Essex and Newcastle, but I'd like to hear views for any of the four.

Thank you in advance,

George
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Risen Phoenix
x

Newcastle firm and Essex insurance
Original post by BB8
Newcastle firm and Essex insurance

Thank you for your reply! How so? Is Newcastle more prestigious than Essex? If yes, is it supposed to be better even in the social sciences (especially politics)?
As you say If student tuition fees are an issue then Stirling will be effectively fee free for you due to being in Scotland.
There is the option of looking at Extra I presume but you may want to speak to the admissions office to discuss if the offers would be suitable.
Stirling is a lovely city btw
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/university-tuition-fees/going-to-university-in-scotland/
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Colinj451
If student tuition fees are an issue then Stirling will be effectively fee free for you due to being in Scotland
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/university-tuition-fees/going-to-university-in-scotland/

Thank you for your reply. I do know that and it is a big plus (that the minus of the course being 4 years instead of the English 3 kind of balances it out, since I am already 20 years old and want to finish somewhat fast, having also in mind that the extra year costs). However, while I would be more into the option of spending some years in a bigger city like Glasgow (that is why I mentioned Strathclyde), I am not certain that Stirling (mainly the city but the university as well) is worth it. Maybe it would be better for me, both academically and professionally, to get a student loan and attend either Newcastle or Essex.

What do you think?
(edited 8 years ago)
I know a lot of people who went to Newcastle and loved it! Apparently the lecturers are good, accommodations nice and great night life. Out of those 4 I would firm New Castle :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Risen Phoenix
Thank you for your reply. I do know that and it is a big plus (that the minus of the course being 4 years instead of the English 3 kind of balances it out, since I am already 20 years old and want to finish somewhat fast, having also in mind that the extra year costs). However, while I would be more into the option of spending some years in a bigger city like Glasgow (that is why I mentioned Strathclyde), I am not certain that Stirling (mainly the city but the university as well) is worth it. Maybe it would be better for me, both academically and professionally, to get a student loan and attend either Newcastle or Essex.

What do you think?

The four year to three year courses in Scotland is like a foundation year, you may want to check if you can skip that first year if you do well enough in your exams, but if you haven't studied the courses before then it may be a good thing to consider to do anyway.
Not sure how your Maths is, if you have kept it up then a 3 year course may suit you.
The entry reqirements for the 4 year course at Stirling and the 3 year course at Essex are almost the same. If the only thing that is stopping attending a university with higher entry levels is the IELTS then I think it is certainly worth doing.
I don't know how the university loans are repaid in Greece but frankly having no tuition fees to repay compared to an additional £27,000 to repay over the course of your employment seems a no brainer really.

Colchester is a market town, certainly not big like Newcastle anyway. Very nice but I am minded to consider that it is not the hotbed of activity you are possibily looking for

York is a lovely city (In my opinion) my daughter has it as a choice for Physics but decided to Firm Sussex instead.

I can't see PPE available on Newcastles website.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2704558
Might be some use if you haven't seen it
Hello,

I study Psychology at the University of Essex and really enjoy it here.
Let me know if you have any questions about the University!

Natalie.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending