The Student Room Group

Aerospace engineering foundation year?

I am currently 20. When I start my course i will be 21. I am thinking if a foundation year will help me in maths. As I have not done A level maths or physics. Do you think if do well in this foundation year I will be able to successfully complete a engineering degree
Dont bother with a foundation degree if you have a btec or some sort of level 3 qualification!
I recommend getting the engineering mathematics by ka stroud book and working through the foundation topics before you start at uni to give you a strong basis to start your degree!
Best of luck!
I disagree, do the foundation year, you will need it. I did a foundation year and btec students didn't fair well in that, as in none passed, let alone started the degree which is even harder.

It also gives you an opportunity to switch to better universities if you wish to do so, or an extra year to settle into university life.
Original post by Helloworld_95
I disagree, do the foundation year, you will need it. I did a foundation year and btec students didn't fair well in that, as in none passed, let alone started the degree which is even harder.

It also gives you an opportunity to switch to better universities if you wish to do so, or an extra year to settle into university life.

Which course did you do that NONE passed?
Seems a bit exageratted!
Original post by BlackSweetness
Which course did you do that NONE passed?
Seems a bit exageratted!

The one at university of Sheffield. To be fair in general it had a low pass rate, as in at the start there were 40 of us, at the end there were just under 20 and by first year there were 9.
Reply 5
Original post by Bolt15
I am currently 20. When I start my course i will be 21. I am thinking if a foundation year will help me in maths. As I have not done A level maths or physics. Do you think if do well in this foundation year I will be able to successfully complete a engineering degree

I'm currently on a foundation year having not done maths or physics at A level and I'm doing better at the maths and mechanics modules than some people who've actually done A level maths. Even managed to get 100% in a few maths tests. It is a lot more effort though learning everything from scratch compared to people who already know the material but if you're willing to put the work in it can be really beneficial.

Foundation years are useful if you haven't done the required maths to get you up to speed on it and it helps prepare you for the degree. Wouldn't recommend doing it if you've already done maths - you might as well go to a different uni if you didn't get the grades or retake the year.
Original post by Helloworld_95
The one at university of Sheffield. To be fair in general it had a low pass rate, as in at the start there were 40 of us, at the end there were just under 20 and by first year there were 9.

Thats understandable! I have a few friends at the university of sheffield who did btec engineering with me and went into first year, and their managing the maths! So it can be done!
It seems to me unversity of sheffield engineering courses has a low pass rate! Lord knows why, friends from other universities seem to be able to handle themselves
Thats understandable! I have a few friends at the university of sheffield who did btec engineering with me and went into first year, and their managing the maths! So it can be done!
It seems to me unversity of sheffield engineering courses has a low pass rate! Lord knows why, friends from other universities seem to be able to handle themselves

I think it's just a harder course, looking at the content of my modules and other places we do some things one or even two years earlier than even places like Manchester. We also let in people with quite low grades (ABB in practice) so I think that might have something to do with it. We are improving though, the year before mine had a 60% pass rate in first year whereas my year was just under 90.
Dont bother with a foundation degree if you have a btec or some sort of level 3 qualification!
I recommend getting the engineering mathematics by ka stroud book and working through the foundation topics before you start at uni to give you a strong basis to start your degree!
Best of luck!

foundation years and foundation degrees are 2 completely different things!
Original post by Bolt15

what university is the foundation course going to be taught at? :smile:
Reply 10
Sheffield Hallam
do uni prefer people that have physics and maths lets say BBB
or people who get A*AA in any subject (that is half respected?)
Original post by lennyzoo

if the subjects you get A*AA in is not relevant to the course then you wont get in, especially if its engineering.
Reply 13
Original post by lennyzoo

If you have good A-levels but in the wrong subjects (ie no Maths, etc) you can go via a foundation year. Engineering at university is basically maths, hence why a Maths A-Level or equivalent is a prerequisite.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys, my firm choice was city university of london for electrical engineering with foundation year. I feel I may have missed the entry requirement by 1 grade. Has anybody had experience like this with this course and uni? If so how lenient are they?
Reply 15
Original post by Certislikz
Guys, my firm choice was city university of london for electrical engineering with foundation year. I feel I may have missed the entry requirement by 1 grade. Has anybody had experience like this with this course and uni? If so how lenient are they?

In which subject do think you have dropped a grade?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
Posted from TSR Mobile

Maths but only by a couple marks which annoys me
Original post by Doonesbury

Posted from TSR Mobile

Also if they don't accept do you think I can do a foundation year at another university and then apply to city after completing a foundation year? I've heard some unis accept this as long as you pass foundation year with high marks and if it's the same content as their foundation yeat
Reply 18
Maths but only by a couple marks which annoys me

Well you don't know yet - especially if your self-marking is close to a currently undefined grade boundary.

Also if they don't accept do you think I can do a foundation year at another university and then apply to city after completing a foundation year? I've heard some unis accept this as long as you pass foundation year with high marks and if it's the same content as their foundation yeat

Possibly, but tbh it's reasonably likely City will relax their offer by a grade.

Quick Reply

Latest