The Student Room Group

Which Psych topic should I write about for a Distinction?

Hi all, doing some essay writing, but I'm stuck. We have 3 topics to choose from:

Cognitive development (learning theory, Piaget, Vygotsky, information processing theories), language acquisition (stages of language acquisition, learning theory, Chomsky/LAD, social interactionist theory/LASS) or Life-span development (Erikson/psychosocial, Marcia/identity status, Levinson/life-cycle theory, adult life events, adjustment, etc).

We're meant to evaluate one. It's not a long essay, it's part of a bigger piece of work, so only 850 words. Language acquisition looks the easiest by far, then life-span (though psychodynamic stuff is always hard to evaluate), then cognitive, again, by far. Language has half the material size/required reading of the other two.

We're graded on knowledge, application of knowledge, use of information, communication, quality. But is this like English (where for GCSE we were told to do Catcher in The Rye if we wanted A*s) where it matters, or can I just choose the shortest one?
I loved looking at Erikson's life stages for my MA - there was so much to discuss!

Cognitive development is the easiest but is also the most boring.
It's your call, you have to write it.
Reply 2
Original post by Findlay6
I loved looking at Erikson's life stages for my MA - there was so much to discuss!

Cognitive development is the easiest but is also the most boring.
It's your call, you have to write it.

Thank you :smile: Yeah, what I've covered of psychosocial theory seems really interesting! I ended up going for cognitive, as it felt the easiest to evaluate scientifically (but you're right, it's incredibly dull!).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending