The Student Room Group

KCL, UCL, LSE for environment related subjects 2016

Scroll to see replies

https://www.facebook.com/groups/131674970568522/
Group for the 2016/17 cohort of students due to start the MSc in Economics and Policy of Energy and the Environment in September 2016
Reply 21
Just curious on how do I go about waiting for my results from UCL, I application was submitted on the 16th of March and roughly its been 6 weeks since submission. Should I give it another few weeks before giving UCL a buzz?
Reply 22
Original post by faizulap
Just curious on how do I go about waiting for my results from UCL, I application was submitted on the 16th of March and roughly its been 6 weeks since submission. Should I give it another few weeks before giving UCL a buzz?

I think you could wait a little longer. I submitted my application to UCL on Feb 20 and received unconditional offer on monday, april 25.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 118fearless
Hi guys,
Im just curious if anyone has applied and received or still awaiting offers for these courses at these institutions:
KCL: Environment, Politics & Globalisation MA (Full-time) at King’s College London
UCL: MSc Economics and Policy of Energy and the Environment
LSE: MSc in Environmental Economics and Climate Change (1st choice)
MSc in Environment and Development (2nd)
I have got an offer from KCL and I applied in early January, got offer around late Jan, while both UCL and LSE was finally sent in with references around 22nd of feb

Just interested why you didn't apply for Imperial Environmental Technology course - any particular concerns about this course? I was accepted for UCL EPEE, LSE EE&CC and Imperial EnvTech, but have dropped UCL. Now have a slight preference for Imperial given that Energy Policy is what I really want to follow and LSE is likely to be more academic and economics-heavy, which concerns me being a non-economist - am I right to think this?
Reply 24
Hi guys! I know it's been a year since you last posted here, I hope you're all doing the MSc you wanted! I'm writing because I have an offer from LSE and UCL for the same programmes you mentioned above but I don't know which one to go for.

So far this is my reasoning:

UCL have a better campus and seem to have better student satisfaction. It's also on top of LSE in some international rankings. The courses seem a bit more hands on than LSE and they offer more flexibility around their courses (I want to do the MSc part time).

LSE have a very strong reputation in economics and policy. I've heard the approach to teaching is quite theoretical, which is not a bad thing.

I have heard that the quality of professors at both universities is high.

Which one did you choose? Why? And how has your experience been so far in the one you chose?

Thanks!
Hi Rinat89,

In the end I studied at LSE. I would have preferred to go to Imperial given the strong industry links of the course and the overwhelmingly positive feedback from alumni. UCL I can't tell you about, though I someone I know who studied at both UCL and LSE thought the level of economics to be better at LSE. It all depends what you want out of your course. If you want to have a high level of economic theory centred around all aspects of env econ (renewable & non-renewable resources, agr, env pollution, fisheries, biodiversity, forestry, common property) and be able to work for Eftec, NERA, Oxera, CECA, the Treasury, World Bank, DEFRA (as an economist - they are now recruiting for economists to shape UK's post-Brexit fishing and agriculture policies) then go to LSE. I was initially accepted for UCL EPEE and I in fact bought a number of the books on the (pre-)reading list. Judging from the books that I read, I think you will get a good 'idea' of economics and policy at UCL, but if you want solid theory go to LSE. Also the lecturers at LSE are 2nd to none, look up their papers in Google Scholar: Ben Groom (discounting), Giles Atkinson (sustainability), Susana Mourato (valuation), Simon Dietz (climate change adaptation, sustainability), Charlie Palmer (forestry) and we have had guest lectures from Christian Gollier, Kirk Hamilton, Jeff Sachs.... It's an economists' paradise. The options are also interesting - you can pretty much choose from across the board at LSE, though Econ courses require you to pass a special exam. I have chosen development & social policy courses, but others have gone for health policy, behavioural economics, spatial analysis, urban development, int relations.

It may seem that I am promoting LSE, but I am not an economist and I would still have preferred to go to Imperial, to get more of the practical industry experience and sometimes I sit through some classes wondering when I will ever use this stuff, but I wouldn't say that I regret it....

Hope this has helped somewhat...
Hi there,
I got an offer for UCL EPEE as well as Imperial's environmental technology programs. currently trying to make up my mind about which one is the best, can I ask why you didn't choose UCL?
Original post by melissa_knz
Hi there,
I got an offer for UCL EPEE as well as Imperial's environmental technology programs. currently trying to make up my mind about which one is the best, can I ask why you didn't choose UCL?

Hi there,

Can I ask which course you ended up choosing and why? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending