The Student Room Group

Not living in uni halls = social suicide?

I'm not planning on living in uni halls in my first year, is this likely to impact the social side of things much at all? I've heard its not a good idea, but I don't know if this is just a misconception. I'm not particularly fussed about it all, but I don't want to miss out on the experience and not meet any new friends in my time there.

Any words of wisdom from someone who didn't live in?
Reply 1
Original post by MCmnbvgyuio
I'm not planning on living in uni halls in my first year, is this likely to impact the social side of things much at all? I've heard its not a good idea, but I don't know if this is just a misconception. I'm not particularly fussed about it all, but I don't want to miss out on the experience and not meet any new friends in my time there.

I've moved your thread to the University Life forum :smile:
Definitely not, you can make your social life happen if you want to
learning is better than friends anyway man

If you live out you need to make the effort to talk to people if you want to make friends- to not be afraid to approach people on your course even if you are on your own, to join societies or sports clubs and go to meetings. You also need to consider if you want to go clubbing how you'll get home.

Well it will definitely make it harder particularly if you have a commute over 30 mins even under that can be a struggle so yeah you'll need to make an effort people will want to be your friend but making it to parties and unplanned nights out because every thing will need to be planned you won't to be able to stay on most people's floor there just won't be space in most halls so you'll need a lift a late train (even if it at 10 your leavening early) or a hotel room which makes nights out quite expensive or difficult sorry about that

Posted from TSR Mobile

wont effect things at all if you put extra effort in to making friends in societies/course etc but if dont then it could impact it. Also depends on how far away youre living from the uni (as someone else said more than 30 minutes one way could be problematic when planning to get home at night but there are always alternative things like staying at a friends that night etc)

I mean you dont always make friends in halls anyway, I know plenty of people (including myself) that havent met any of their good friends through living with/near them. All mine came from my course, meeting people through friends etc
Original post by madmadmax321
wont effect things at all

having had to commute a bit in my 3rd year I promise you it will.

It depends if you are living in the same town in a student area then it's not so hard I mean there is usally somthing happening on the first night you may miss that but appart from that no you will not miss much i mean you need to be a littel proactive ah the Angel (like reps) will not come and round you up for the Freshers bar crawl and stuff but it's not suiced if you are in a rented house withother first years.

If you live at home like 1/2 by tran to uni then tha will hit your socal like like a sledge hammer wan't to go ot at night no point you need to get that last train home and it's not like you can get a nigt bus as they don't go that far so it depends
Original post by jonathanemptage
having had to commute a bit in my 3rd year I promise you it will.

Well of the 3 people I know that commute they have all for the most part got on fine, so perhaps youre doing it wrong/too long a commute
Original post by madmadmax321
Well of the 3 people I know that commute they have all for the most part got on fine, so perhaps youre doing it wrong/too long a commute

I only did it for a little while (until I found a place to live) but my social life took a huge hit although tbf it was Southampton to Reading 1 hour
As someone who lived in who halls who had plenty of friends who didn't, you will be fine if you throw yourself into making friends. I'm not good friends with any of my old flatmates and really, it is all very hit and miss. As long as your commute isn't long, you' ll ge fine if you try.

Halls can ge so much fun but it can equally be very overrated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It doesn't affect it but you need to make more effort. I was fine in my first year and made friends easily. It's not social suicide at all, but living in halls is a 'get friends quick and easy' pass.

Hello :smile:

I'm about to go into my third year and are still friends with people who didn't live in halls in first year. You won't miss out on the social experience as long as you put in the effort - you may not live on campus but you can still got to SU events and party with people - you can still do a lot and have the social experience without living on campus, you won't get the full experience but it doesn't mean you have to miss out on it if that makes sense?

The people I'm friends with crashed in halls, walked or drove to spend time with us etc - so, it doesn't really matter as long as you make friends from your course or on social media before hand?

Good luck!
It depends on whether you mean you are living near the university just not in halls or whether you are living at home quite a distance away. The first is doable although you need to be outgoing and able to put yourself out there, the second will have a big impact.

I lived out of uni halls in first year and it was okay. It meant that making friends takes a lot more effort as people automatically hang out with their flatmates. Generally speaking though people are open and happy to make friends during uni so as long as you're happy to go up to people to barely know and ask if you can join them on a night out/go get lunch etc you'll be okay. I would join some societies and try and 'meet' people on facebook first so you have a 'link'.

If you hear people planning a night out, just ask if you can join them, freshers go out probably every night of the week during induction/freshers week, it's what it's for. Even strike up a conversations with class mates and say "Oh did you see the event at _____ Are you guys planning on going?" if they say yes, then ask if they are doing pre-drinks, if they are, someone will give you the address of where the "prinking" is, and you go. If they say no, and they offer somewhere else, ask if you can join, and just explain you're off campus. It isn't social suicide, you just need to be a bit more pro-active in asking people what their plans are.
I won't be living in halls in my first year as I'm 22 and don't want to end up being the "mother hen" with a bunch of noisy, drunk 18 year olds. But I plan on going out over freshers! I just don't fancy being woken up at stupid o'clock by teens with teen drama on a night where I maybe have an early lecture in the morning and they don't. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending