The Student Room Group

Is asking to be predicted higher grades worth it?

E.g if I got 2'C's and a B at AS, I would be happy with the B and would just love to be predicted B's for A2. All my A levels are linear so even if I got a C it wouldn't count towards the real A level. I can't say whether I think I've got low C's or high C's but I feel pretty confident that the most I'll be getting for AS is BCC. If this is true, is it worth asking my teachers to predict me a B for the ones I got a C in- I've been consistent throughout the year and on some essays I've got A's and B's. Can I explain to them that most of my uni choices require at least 2 B's( I want to do History of art at Leicester or Manchester, worst case scenario Oxford Brookes but still even that requires BBC) obviously history of art isn't offered at all Unis, mostly at the older ones so surely they'll understand that this is essential if I'm to succeed; obviously if I get a D then it's actually pointless asking to be predicted a B, but honestly if I got a C is it worth a shot??
Reply 1
Original post by ambermariemorgan
E.g if I got 2'C's and a B at AS, I would be happy with the B and would just love to be predicted B's for A2. All my A levels are linear so even if I got a C it wouldn't count towards the real A level. I can't say whether I think I've got low C's or high C's but I feel pretty confident that the most I'll be getting for AS is BCC. If this is true, is it worth asking my teachers to predict me a B for the ones I got a C in- I've been consistent throughout the year and on some essays I've got A's and B's. Can I explain to them that most of my uni choices require at least 2 B's( I want to do History of art at Leicester or Manchester, worst case scenario Oxford Brookes but still even that requires BBC) obviously history of art isn't offered at all Unis, mostly at the older ones so surely they'll understand that this is essential if I'm to succeed; obviously if I get a D then it's actually pointless asking to be predicted a B, but honestly if I got a C is it worth a shot??

Many schools have strict policies on predictions, so may not be able to change them anyway. But even if they can, you might be making a mistake in asking. Any offers you do get will be conditional on you actually getting the grades - if you're not a good enough student to deserve the high prediction you're possibly not going to get that grade in the end anyway.

You need to think about why you're currently getting a C or D, and how you can change this. Many students start insisting they'll work harder better faster stronger, but very few actually go through with this. You have until results day to prove to yourself that a higher prediction is actually worth it. Even if your exams are over you can still make a study timetable and stick to it - do some revision over the summer. You don't have to go crazy, but even if you do an hour every other day you'll be in a much stronger position in September to deserve a higher prediction.
Original post by Juno
Many schools have strict policies on predictions, so may not be able to change them anyway. But even if they can, you might be making a mistake in asking. Any offers you do get will be conditional on you actually getting the grades - if you're not a good enough student to deserve the high prediction you're possibly not going to get that grade in the end anyway.

You need to think about why you're currently getting a C or D, and how you can change this. Many students start insisting they'll work harder better faster stronger, but very few actually go through with this. You have until results day to prove to yourself that a higher prediction is actually worth it. Even if your exams are over you can still make a study timetable and stick to it - do some revision over the summer. You don't have to go crazy, but even if you do an hour every other day you'll be in a much stronger position in September to deserve a higher prediction.
well I am a hard working student and I am worthy of a high grade, I don't just sit and muck around all day, every single homework I give in on time, I spend ages on essays and although they don't always get an A, it's not because I don't work hard because all my teachers say I put a lot of effort in. I just don't see why predicting 1 grade above you're grade for AS is bad; especially now it doesn't even count towards the A level. Anyone can go up 1 grade in a year. It's a fact. I think I would know, if it was a mistake in asking; I'm more likely to work hard for a good grade that they predicted me rather than them predicting me a C because I'll find that very demoralising. Plus, I go to a college, they're more likely to be lenient anyway, and if they're not my parents will write to them; teachers hardly argue with parents. Especially mine lol

Quick Reply

Latest