The Student Room Group

Should I ask for a A* prediction on UCAS

I received my predicted grades today, which are A*AA. One of the A’s is in psychology. I’m applying for law at top Unis like Bristol, kcl etc, and I meet the minimum entry requirement, A*AA which I have. But considering that everyone else applying will also have the same, people with higher predictions will have a better look to the uni. Anyways I’ve checked through all my tests throughout the year, I’ve gotten A/A* in all of them. I got an A on my mock as well( however didn’t really do good in research methods section, which might be the reason). Throughout research methods test I’ve gotten consistent A*/A/B. One of my friends is predicted an A* and was surprised that I wasn’t given an A* as she said that I’ve consistently done better. I don’t want to come off as ungrateful to the teacher, so should I go for it? I really do believe I can get an A*.
Original post by shehab1
I received my predicted grades today, which are A*AA. One of the A’s is in psychology. I’m applying for law at top Unis like Bristol, kcl etc, and I meet the minimum entry requirement, A*AA which I have. But considering that everyone else applying will also have the same, people with higher predictions will have a better look to the uni. Anyways I’ve checked through all my tests throughout the year, I’ve gotten A/A* in all of them. I got an A on my mock as well( however didn’t really do good in research methods section, which might be the reason). Throughout research methods test I’ve gotten consistent A*/A/B. One of my friends is predicted an A* and was surprised that I wasn’t given an A* as she said that I’ve consistently done better. I don’t want to come off as ungrateful to the teacher, so should I go for it? I really do believe I can get an A*.

Ask the teacher what you can do to prove you deserve an A* prediction before you make your UCAS application.
You should definitely talk to your teachers and ask if they can by any chance predict that based on your grades and since it would be useful for uni. Or if there’s any way you can show you think you’re likely to achieve it by extra effort for now.
Original post by shehab1

Hi there

It's definitely worth having a chat with your teacher to see what you can do to improve. In my opinion, there is little point in having a higher predicted grade if you end up with A*AA (which are still amazing grades btw - you should be so proud!) Also, if you're predicted their requirements then I would think that if you get an offer or not would depend more on your personal statement.

I hope this helps:smile:

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff uni rep
Reply 4
Original post by shehab1

It’s worth asking. They shouldn’t give you an A* if they don’t think you will achieve that, and for fairness to others, but from what you have, it sounds like you a borderline case, so worth having a chat.
Reply 5
Just remember that for Law your LNAT score will be as important as your A level predictions and therefore just blagging your way to another A* prediction actually wont make a heap of difference.

For Bristol, the % weightings are GCSE 20% | A-Level 40% | LNAT 40%.

Start working on your LNAT essay technique - it will have far more impact on your offer chances :
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-LNAT-Collection-Questions-Solutions/dp/1913683761
Original post by McGinger
Just remember that for Law your LNAT score will be as important as your A level predictions and therefore just blagging your way to another A* prediction actually wont make a heap of difference.

For Bristol, the % weightings are GCSE 20% | A-Level 40% | LNAT 40%.

Start working on your LNAT essay technique - it will have far more impact on your offer chances :
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-LNAT-Collection-Questions-Solutions/dp/1913683761

When it comes to a levels, as long as you meet the conditions, having more A*s predicted doesn’t really make a difference indeed.
However if you’re predicted under the required grades it is usually a big negative. So if you meet minimum entry it doesn’t really matter how many A* you have predicted, but if you’re below minimums it’s an issue

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending