The Student Room Group

OMG is this for real? TV in the 70s was sooo racist

This show ran on British tv until late 70s. Makes me feel kinda sick to think this show was on tv just 10 years before I was born.

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nidhoggr
This show ran on British tv until late 70s. Makes me feel kinda sick to think this show was on tv just 10 years before I was born.

My mother was a fan, and often complains that the BBC won't show reruns of it anymore. Even her rose-tinted descriptions of the show sounded offensive enough to me, but those clips are worse than I'd imagined. :s-smilie:
yep pretty standard shows in the 70's, 80's and even into the 90's. Thank god the world has changed
Disgusting.
(edited 7 years ago)
I think it much cooler in those days
For a cringy stereotype of countries of the world look up a show called 'Mind Your Language'.
Reply 6
Oh wow. I was expecting to be unapologetically laughing at some dark humour but I'm actually instead really disgusted at that like jeez.
what you expect :lol: it still is :teehee:

Can you post a link (without attaching it to the "insert image" please) because I can't see it.
Reply 9
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Can you post a link (without attaching it to the "insert image" please) because I can't see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=B1dakp4FT0w
You do realise that all the jokes were aimed at the guy being racist, people weren't laughing at the racism, but the ignorance of the white man.
I could be wrong, I've never watched the show myself (probably too young if they don't show it anymore), but I think the thing with shows like these was you're meant to be laughing at the guy being ridiculous for being racist, not at the racism. There was another show with a racist called Till Death Us Do Part and the creator pointed out that the point of it was to make fun of the people who are racist by showing how ridiculous the racist things they say and think are. They want people to be shocked and disgusted at what they're saying, that's the point of it. It's an anti-racism message the show gives out, by showing how ridiculous it is to be racist.

I'm just talking about Till Death Us Do Part and am just saying this show, Love Thy Neighbour, might be doing the same thing, but I don't know a lot about it so I'm not sure.
Yes, 70s TV humour was racist, but this is funny:
[video="youtube;MApatYdSxO8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MApatYdSxO8&list=PLxRxwnkeaHZv5JEKUyrQFPQbVu GVvo6hh[/video]
Reply 13
Original post by James82
You do realise that all the jokes were aimed at the guy being racist, people weren't laughing at the racism, but the ignorance of the white man.

Shh, don't tell them that. They're having their daily race fix.
Reply 14
Original post by James82

That is a really poor basis for comedy.

People's political beliefs are unlikely to be influenced by a TV show, especially not a comedy show, but the risk shows like this run is that many were likely to watch the show and although they know its intended as comedy they do actually end up adopting some of the harmful views in the show.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That is a really poor basis for comedy.

People's political beliefs are unlikely to be influenced by a TV show, especially not a comedy show, but the risk shows like this run is that many were likely to watch the show and although they know its intended as comedy they do actually end up adopting some of the harmful views in the show.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Given the enormous shift in attitudes over the last 50 years, it would seem all the evidence suggests the contrary.
Reply 16
Meh. It's up for debate but as others have said I think the jokes are more to do with character. Like, look at Uncle Ruckus in the Boondocks for a modern example. He's crazy racist, but the joke is that he's crazy racist, not that what he says is true.
In the 70s, this nation was much less multicultural then it is today. Whether multiculturalism is good or bad is another topic entirely, but exposure leads to more acceptance and respect. I'm sure you can see the point I'm trying to make here. :smile:
Reply 18
The black guy is Patric from Eastenders.. Didnt know he'd been in Britain that long.. How hes maintained his accent is astonishing.. My dad came here in the 70s and speaks like a white British bloke.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ppl defending racists are worse than the racists themselves but thats none of my business.

Quick Reply

Latest