The Student Room Group

My Road to A* everywhere

Scroll to see replies

Original post by taz_yoongi
Hi, first of all I just want to say that you are doing amazingly well and I hope everything works out the way you would like! Secondly, I was wondering how you revise for English Language? I find it extremely hard to do the reading paper for English Language while I like the Writing paper so it is the reading part that always lets me down. I don't know how to improve on this. Also, how do you revise without getting distracted? I am into too many things like music groups and movies and books and I waste so much of my time on Instagram and YouTube...I've looked for tips on how to stop procrastinating but none of them work for me. I turn off my phone to revise and I turn it back on again instantly, it is as though I am against myself. It is not just my phone and the Internet, I also procrastinate by just sitting and doing nothing.
Also, do you have any study tips? I have tried many things that have not worked for me at all:
Flashcards
Videos
Audio
Taking notes
I took a quiz that told me I'm an auditory learner yet audio revision doesn't work for me. It really frustrates me and makes me feel like I am going to fail because revision doesn't help much. Do you have any other tips for revising that you could share with me? Thank you

Firstly, thank you for reading this thread and secondly sorry that revision isn't going too well.

For Langauge, I do past papers and get them marked, but also technique and time management are key - do you run out of time? And do you know how to answer each of the questions (which exam board is it)?

As for revision methods, there is a technique called sketchnoting which may be worth a try. Basically it is like mindmapping but much more creative where you have to associate pictures with the topic/points (type it in google images for examples, there are some great ones). Also, as you are so close to every exam then past papers are the main thing you need to be focusing on. I know you have done quizzes and such like, but if I were you I wouldn't pay much attention to those, as it seems you need variety to keep you interested in revision so try things like sticky notes everywhere and revising in different places or with friends.

To not get distracted, there are apps which restrict sites (not sure if you have tried these) and if you are tempted to switch your phone back on, give it to someone else and tell them you can't have it until such a time. Also, reward yourself frequently, and also don't plan to do lots all in a day as it becomes overwhelming. Try things like the Pomodoro technique or the 5 minute rule to get you into a task. Also, to focus yourself, make sure you know exactly what you are doing before you start revision, so that you don't waste time picturing what you should/could/would do - just get on with it :smile:

I really hope these help and if there is anything else let me know :biggrin:
Hi, first of all I just want to say that you are doing amazingly well and I hope everything works out the way you would like! Secondly, I was wondering how you revise for English Language? I find it extremely hard to do the reading paper for English Language while I like the Writing paper so it is the reading part that always lets me down. I don't know how to improve on this. Also, how do you revise without getting distracted? I am into too many things like music groups and movies and books and I waste so much of my time on Instagram and YouTube...I've looked for tips on how to stop procrastinating but none of them work for me. I turn off my phone to revise and I turn it back on again instantly, it is as though I am against myself. It is not just my phone and the Internet, I also procrastinate by just sitting and doing nothing.
Also, do you have any study tips? I have tried many things that have not worked for me at all:
Flashcards
Videos
Audio
Taking notes
I took a quiz that told me I'm an auditory learner yet audio revision doesn't work for me. It really frustrates me and makes me feel like I am going to fail because revision doesn't help much. Do you have any other tips for revising that you could share with me? Thank you
Original post by nwmyname
Yeah I'm cool!
I follow your thread in fact because what you want to achieve is what I did achieve last year and I wanted to see how you are getting along!
Hoping you do well!

Haha yeah I had exams as well.
I'm aiming for 4As and based on preportions of people entering, that should be possible but I don't know so far yet.

Well which subject did you find hardest?

You achieved all A*s?? WOW!! How did you do it?

That's great and I hope they went well for you :smile:

I found Biology and English Lit hardest so far, they are probably my weakest subjects but hopefully they didn't go too badly
Original post by brainzistheword
I suppose it does sound excessive. I have to make it clear that I don't like cancel everything and lock myself in my room. If I have something planned or something comes up then I reschedule everything and just do as much as I can :biggrin: (I don't want to start sounding like a recluse who never goes out or anything :smile:)

Haha I didn't think you were a recluse at all :laugh: Besides you're always saying you're really busy anyway so it's pretty obvious that revision isn't your life haha. It's good that you can quickly adapt to disruptions too 👍🏻
Original post by NiamhM1801
Haha I didn't think you were a recluse at all :laugh: Besides you're always saying you're really busy anyway so it's pretty obvious that revision isn't your life haha. It's good that you can quickly adapt to disruptions too 👍🏻

I didn't think you did but just in case :tongue: And most peoplpe at my school think I live with my head in a book which is quite funny. Yeah it's good to adapt to them, I just wish sometimes I had more authority to say no I need to revise :smile:
I didn't think you did but just in case :tongue: And most peoplpe at my school think I live with my head in a book which is quite funny. Yeah it's good to adapt to them, I just wish sometimes I had more authority to say no I need to revise :smile:

Oh god yeah, even my sister thinks I read revision guides for fun! :confused:
I get what you mean about the authority, as whenever something comes up it completely throws me off (like today) so it'd be nice to be able to have a say in it once in a while.
Original post by Mac117
Double fail for me then :wink:

PPE sounds interesting! I think I saw a youtuber who studied it at Oxford.

Yeah. I think I know who you're talking about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You achieved all A*s?? WOW!! How did you do it?

That's great and I hope they went well for you :smile:

I found Biology and English Lit hardest so far, they are probably my weakest subjects but hopefully they didn't go too badly

My best advice would have been to look through exemplar answers in all subjects and use them to the best of your advantage.

Also, look through your practice papers and list what you get wrong and memorise it so in the exam, it doesn't happen to you.

Yes people say that GCSEs are not important at A - level but note that uni's and workplaces will look at them too and plus if they are brilliant, they give you a better indication of your potential.
I get what you mean about the authority, as whenever something comes up it completely throws me off (like today) so it'd be nice to be able to have a say in it once in a while.

I know exactly what you guys are talking about. If I see a funny post on Facebook during my study break it turns into an hour or two in a group chat. Lol. However, to be honest me and my parents aren't really going out that much because I'm in my exam period. After my exams I plan to bomb central London with my skateboard. When I say bomb I don't actually mean a physical one. Just thought I'd make that clear. Lmao.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MR.ANONYMOUS 786
I know exactly what you guys are talking about. If I see a funny post on Facebook during my study break it turns into an hour or two in a group chat. Lol. However, to be honest me and my parents aren't really going out that much because I'm in my exam period. After my exams I plan to bomb central London with my skateboard. When I say bomb I don't actually mean a physical one. Just thought I'd make that clear. Lmao.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I get that :smile:
And for some reason my family and I have been going out more recently?? Idk why and it's kind of annoying me as well as sometimes I'd just rather get on with revision (especially back during the Easter holidays)

I actually laughed 😂
Yeah I get that :smile:
And for some reason my family and I have been going out more recently?? Idk why and it's kind of annoying me as well as sometimes I'd just rather get on with revision (especially back during the Easter holidays)

I actually laughed 😂

I'm glad I amused you. Yeah. I'm getting kind of pissed off because I've got these rad skateboard parts lying around and I don't have time to fit them onto my deck so I'll have to do it after my exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3451
I didn't know there were several of us who want to study medicine! I would like to stay in London and study at UCL or Imperial, I've also got a place in the imperial summer school this year for the biology strand which I'm super excited about! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by srmed
I didn't know there were several of us who want to study medicine! I would like to stay in London and study at UCL or Imperial, I've also got a place in the imperial summer school this year for the biology strand which I'm super excited about! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck. Well done. I hope you have a nice time there. I would like to study PPE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3453
Good luck. Well done. I hope you have a nice time there. I would like to study PPE.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! PPE sounds interesting but definitely not an area which I enjoy, I've never been into the humanities subjects!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

aha, this made me laugh also.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by srmed
Thank you! PPE sounds interesting but definitely not an area which I enjoy, I've never been into the humanities subjects!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've always excelled at humanities subjects but at the same time I've also done well in physics and biology. I love biology and physics. It's just so interesting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hannahrobinsxn
aha, this made me laugh also.

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol. I'm glad you guys find me funny. Lmao.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nwmyname
My best advice would have been to look through exemplar answers in all subjects and use them to the best of your advantage.

Also, look through your practice papers and list what you get wrong and memorise it so in the exam, it doesn't happen to you.

Yes people say that GCSEs are not important at A - level but note that uni's and workplaces will look at them too and plus if they are brilliant, they give you a better indication of your potential.

That's great advice thanks, how long did you spend studying each day roughly?

And yes, even if they weren't important I would still try really hard to get the best I can :smile:

Haha that's funny :biggrin: But yeah everyone just goes "you revise too much, come and do..." and it's annoying considering we only have a few weeks left and then loads of weeks to do whatever we want :redface:
UPDATE FOR 31/05/16
The end of school is getting ever closer and so revision has stepped up again ready for exams next week (even though it doesn't look like much):

2 Chemistry past papers

1 Biology past paper

231 German vocab cards

15 Geography cards

I know right :eek::eek: My school doesn't finish till the 27th June - statistics :smile:
Well done!! you have done loads
That's great advice thanks, how long did you spend studying each day roughly?

And yes, even if they weren't important I would still try really hard to get the best I can :smile:

Haha that's funny :biggrin: But yeah everyone just goes "you revise too much, come and do..." and it's annoying considering we only have a few weeks left and then loads of weeks to do whatever we want :redface:

I used to spend half a day on one subject, then go out for around an hour to relieve the stress.
In my case, this would have been either a walk to the shops or a game outside (the summer was very warm, mind you!)

I then would walk back in and do the next half before going to sleep.
A day before the exam, I would revisit all my past paper material and note down my mistakes and then come to the real exam and breeze through it.

Hope that helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending