The Student Room Group

Journey to becoming a physicist - year 11

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by Mr...
Don't know if I've actually posted on here but good luck with the rest of your exams :biggrin:

I think you have :biggrin: Thank you! And good luck to you too! How have your exams been going so far?
Reply 161
Original post by Mr...
A freaking roller coaster of emotions :lol: but they have been going pretty well.

Same with me :biggrin: Keep going, you'll be happy in August. :smile:
Reply 162
Update 01/06/16

Just about managed to do everything i planned to do yesterday. On top of revision and finishing off flashcards, I've got a few past papers to do today, so I will update as I go along.

Geography - Finished tourism flashcards:u: Also did a unit 2 past paper (natural hazards and tourism)

Biology - Finished making notes on particular areas on B4 B5 and B6. Then did the June 2014 paper (52/60, A*)

Chemistry - Started revision, then got really tired and demotivated, so decided to push it to tomorrow, which means I'll be spending a little longer revising tomorrow.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 163
For anyone who might be interested, I plan my daily revision using word, and keep track of my past papers with excel. I'm attaching both files, feel free to have a look :biggrin:
Original post by kennethdcharles
For anyone who might be interested, I plan my daily revision using word, and keep track of my past papers with excel. I'm attaching both files, feel free to have a look :biggrin:

Nice, quite similar to what I have for both. I'm sure you can also testify that making past paper trackers and pre-planned revision timetables saves A LOT of time in the long run, even if they take a while to plan and make.
Reply 165
Original post by richpanda
Nice, quite similar to what I have for both. I'm sure you can also testify that making past paper trackers and pre-planned revision timetables saves A LOT of time in the long run, even if they take a while to plan and make.

Yeah, in fact, I believe I initially stole the idea from you after seeing it on your blog :colondollar:. And yep, did take me a while to set up (luckily I decided to start it time ago) but has definitely been worth it. It's helped me to track progress, notice my weak areas, and to plan my revision ahead. Definitely saves time, and I would recommend it to anyone.
Reply 166
Update 03/06/16

Woke up really early today, despite going to bed really late.. failed to take advantage of this, and procrastinated a lot before starting work just before 10; I don't even know what I was doing all that time:o:E. Managed to d 5 hours of work so far, and I plan to get some R.S. and chemistry done; but that is extremely optimistic - the lack of sleep last night is really starting to kick in :biggrin:
Geography - Two past papers, one on tourism, one on natural hazards, one hour each.

Biology - June 2015 B4 B5 B6 paper - 1 hour (yet to mark, as I can't seem to find the mark scheme :frown:)

Additional maths - 2005 paper (90/100, A) - 2 hours

R.S. -

Chemistry
snip

Hi I would also love to become a physicist!

Best of luck mate.
Reply 168
Original post by Kryptonian
Hi I would also love to become a physicist!

Best of luck mate.

Hey, that's cool! Good luck to you to! :smile:
My aim is to get great grades, and move one to do A levels in subjects I actually enjoy: Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry (yes, my life extremely tough)

jhezz those a level combination is gunna be hard
You don't really need AS Chemistry. No point in making your life hard...
Reply 171
Original post by theBranicAc
jhezz those a level combination is gunna be hard

Original post by life.of.pablo
You don't really need AS Chemistry. No point in making your life hard...

Yeahh I know :biggrin: I may do Economics or Computer scinece instead of chemistry, depending on which course is more appealing when I come to actually paying attention. I want to do four though. Firstly I believe I will enjoy the fourth, so it wont be a hassle. Also, it gives me a greater variety of subjects, so even though offers are based on 3, the fourth will help me more at university, for example chem would help with condensed matter physics, computer science could help with programming etc. I also heard that universities do prefer 4 A levels (if you can get the grades) to 3. Also, the school I am going to wont let me do 3 😂 :biggrin:
I have the same dream as you! Physics at Oxford is just... ahhh... goals :P
Picked my A Levels a wee while ago - Physics, Maths, Furher Maths and Computing :smile:

Good luck on your GCSEs! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Sorry I didn't make it clear, an A is the highest grade possible in additional maths as it's not a GCSE, it's a FSMQ. But thanks for the advice; maths is gonna be a lot more important to me in terms of being a physicist compared to french and geography!:smile:

:redface: You can get an A* with my exam board (NICCEA)
Reply 174
Original post by Tsunaomi
:redface: You can get an A* with my exam board (NICCEA)

That's lucky :biggrin: it would be nicer to get an A* :colondollar:
Reply 175
Original post by Tsunaomi
I have the same dream as you! Physics at Oxford is just... ahhh... goals :P
Picked my A Levels a wee while ago - Physics, Maths, Furher Maths and Computing :smile:

Good luck on your GCSEs! :smile:

It would really be excellent to fulfill it! Your options are pretty much the same as mine (still deciding about economics, computer science and chemistry as the fourth) Good luck getting there! :smile:
It would really be excellent to fulfill it! Your options are pretty much the same as mine (still deciding about economics, computer science and chemistry as the fourth) Good luck getting there! :smile:

I asked about if they would let people take Computing as an A level and they said that some of the really clever people did and then dropped it because the course work was taking up to much time.
Reply 177
Update 07/06/16

Haven't technically revising as much as I planned, however it is because I feel as ready as I can be for the exams this week. Additional maths yesterday:frown: well it was a horrendous paper. I had averaged 87% and ranged from 83%-98% in all the past papers since 2003, but looking at the unofficial mark scheme, 74% looks likely :redface: Although I'm still confident of getting the top grade, it was still kind of a shock.

Saturday - Geography past paper, 2013, one on natural hazards and one on tourism. Additional maths 2010 paper.

Sunday - Did some of the 2013 add maths questions, and some of the jan 2013 geography questions. Started typing up my notes for R.S.

Monday - Didn't really do anything :biggrin:

Today I plan on focusing on geography for my exam tomorrow, which will be the first of three consecutive exams.

Geography -notes, mindmaps and a past paper.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 178
Original post by iwishicouldfly14
I asked about if they would let people take Computing as an A level and they said that some of the really clever people did and then dropped it because the course work was taking up to much time.

Yeahh I heard about that :biggrin: If I go King's I dont plan on doing the full fourth A level, just the AS because it would mean my timetable will be slightly different and I think it's more vital to get the top grades in maths further maths and physics. Also, the EPQ will take up time too, so I guess an AS plus an EPQ is pretty much a whole A level together! :smile:
Reply 179
Haven't updated in a long while :biggrin: been a bit busy...

Exams have been going pretty good for me, and I've been pretty happy. But I can tell that the motivation is running low! Knowing that a lot of my friends have finished today is a bit annoying, but I have to keep going as I have three exams to go: B7 C7 and P7.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending