The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography GEOG 3 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1660
Original post by Olijm
Anyone got a plan for 'Discuss the impacts of NICs on the global economy?'

Increase in FDI of counties due to cheap labour, government policies ect.

They became more wealthy (Asian tigers) not classed as NIC anymore.
In order to still make profit they need to Reinvest in new counties which have similar desirable values ^^^
Asian tigers become origin of TNC = another wave of emerging markets.... Increase TNC = boost in global economy
Original post by Olijm

Was just going to plan that now. Off the top of my head:

Intro: Define NICs, give examples

Economic: Discuss high levels of growth, China becoming manufacturing centre of world, India's large service sector, and general movement of lower paying jobs to these countries. Look forward by comparing to previous NICs that have developed, saying cost of labour will rise, TNCs are already moving elsewhere (e.g. Philippines, Bangladesh), and backlash over outsourcing has meant higher skilled jobs returning to original countries (Motorola, Tesla have US factories, British firms have domestic call centres). China growth has slowed from 10% to 5-7%. However, labour is also becoming more skilled so you could see other types of jobs being outsourced (India produces 2 million IT graduates a year, often as good as MEDC counterparts). China has also invested wisely into Africa, with many African countries set to develop and trade with China as a result

Environmental: China provides 95% of the world's rare earth metals, and have been extracting them disregarding environmental concerns, until recently. India and China both refused to accept environmental responsibilities at the Doha Round of WTO talks, saying that developed nations are more easily able to deal with environmental concerns and they are still developing (This is an application of the Environmental Kuznets Curve, stating that environmental sustainability increases after reaching a certain point of development- but there is little evidence of this actually working in practise). Brazil on the other hand has attempted to become renewable, with the likes of bioethanol fuel production.

Political: Developed nations have increasingly tried to win trade with China and India with political favours, Chinese and Indian officials have both toured Britain recently to much fanfare. Increased potential to trade with BRIC nations is supposedly an argument for leaving the EU.

Social: I guess reduced brain drain compared to in the past, though that can be countered by increased educational standards and demand for most educated labour from abroad (I don't know the figures on this)

Conclusion: growth of NICS has had massive impacts economically, environmentally, and politically, on developed and developing nations.

I don't know how good that is, any suggestions?
To the people suggesting there will be a World Cities question regarding sustainable cities, you're out of your mind. There is nothing on the spec mentioning that other than in the very last part (waste management and transport - which were asked about in June 2014). As for my predictions:

Plate Tectonics
Measuring earthquakes/characteristics of earthquakes OR tsunamis (8 marks)
Nature and impact of seismic event case studies. (10 marks)
Plate movement OR mitigating the effects of earthquakes (40 marks)

Weather and Climate
Urban heat island effect OR relationship of precipitation to urban processes (8 marks)
Pollution reduction policies (10 marks)
Effects of global warming (40 marks)

OR

Characteristics of monsoon climate OR something to do with the monsoon climate idk (8 marks)
Tropical revolving storm responses/management (10 marks)

World Cities
Re-urbanisation/Urbanisation characteristics/causes/effects (8 marks)
Property-led regeneration scheme effectiveness (10 marks)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Toptipster
re urbanisation 7 Out of town retailing 8, suburbanisation 10 - world cities

How could a 7 marker be on re-urbanisation? What kind of image shows that?
Original post by Goulden_J
To the people suggesting there will be a World Cities question regarding sustainable cities, you're out of your mind. There is nothing on the spec mentioning that other than in the very last part (waste management and transport - which were asked about in June 2014). As for my predictions:

Plate Tectonics
Plate movement OR mitigating the effects of earthquakes (40 marks)

Weather and Climate
Urban heat island effect OR relationship of precipitation to urban processes (8 marks)
Pollution reduction policies (10 marks)

OR

Characteristics of monsoon climate OR something to do with the monsoon climate idk (8 marks)
Tropical revolving storm responses/management (10 marks)

World Cities

Bearing in mind my teacher is an examiner and he's predicting sustainable communities, I think he knows what he's talking about

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bat_man
can someone explain formation and characteristics of anticyclones

Anti cyclones are formed under areas of intense high pressure, they have low wind speeds due to a low pressure gradient and are stable conditions. They involve only one air mass which moves downwards to the earths surface. The sky is usually clear with no clouds.
Anticyclones tend to be large typically at least 3000 KM wide and can also result in temperature inversions.

In summer they bring heatwaves during the day, but because there are no clouds, heat is quickly lost at night and causes condensation of water mist and heavy dew may form.

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Sacred Ground
Bearing in mind my teacher is an examiner and he's predicting sustainable communities, I think he knows what he's talking about

Posted from TSR Mobile

What exactly does one of these questions look like then? "Describe the characteristics of a sustainable community"????
Anyone got any weather and climate predictions for the 25 marker?
What exactly does one of these questions look like then? "Describe the characteristics of a sustainable community"????

Probably something like 'with reference to examples, evaluate the success of a sustainable community and/or sustainable programmes' (transport or waste management)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Plate Tectonics

World Cities

Can they ask specifically on tsunamis? What do you mean by 'nature' of seismic events?
Would there be a question on say waste management/ transport/ sustainability but related only to either an MEDC?
Original post by Olijm

Attracted TNCs, eg China so promoting global growth. Describe China's growth.

Enable TNCs to make more profit = more tax revenue for govs

Rising middle class provide an opportunity for other countries to export too

NICs have their own TNCs, and are investing more in LEDCs promoting growth here

But: deindustrialisation in MEDCs, eg Uk textiles / steel industry

Directs investment away from LEDCs who need it

Benefits felt unevenly even between
Original post by Olimunday98
how could you add synoptic links to a 40 marker on the plate tectonics theory??

expecting its going to be linked to seismic events in which case you would talk about how earthquakes are caused, build up in pressure realeased etc. Then also mention how under water this can displace it causing tsunamis. if just plate theory mention pangea cont drift and maybe include some structure of the earth (plates lie on asthenosphere, made up of 8 main plates etc)
Probably something like 'with reference to examples, evaluate the success of a sustainable community and/or sustainable programmes' (transport or waste management)

Posted from TSR Mobile

So I don't need to learn BedZED ? Can I just use transport case studies?
Original post by pandamind
Can they ask specifically on tsunamis? What do you mean by 'nature' of seismic events?

There has been a question specifically regarding the characteristics and causes of Tsunamis (June 2013) so yep they can but it won't be more than an 8 marker and you won't be REQUIRED to put in a case studies although its worth throwing in the 2004 one

The nature of seismic events refers to its characteristics like magnitude, focus, epicentre, depth, plate margin, etc etc and then the impact of those aspects.
Yeah sustainable communities are like BedZed and Masdar City that were designed specifically to be sustainable and produce low carbon levels, and they're definitely in the syllabus.
Original post by Heather_J
Yeah sustainable communities are like BedZed and Masdar City that were designed specifically to be sustainable and produce low carbon levels, and they're definitely in the syllabus.

Thank you! Someone else has studied BEDZED

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

For all this can you use the case study Curitiba ?
youre all gassing
Original post by L1lly
For all this can you use the case study Curitiba ?

Yeh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending