The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography GEOG 3 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gg1609x
Can some please help me to put my mind at ease cos I'm having a midlife crisis seeing as I totally messed the exam up .. Last year I got 187 altogether, what would I have had to get in this exam to get a B/A overall

you would need according to my calculations using last years grade boundaries about 133 ums which you cant get on this paper so if you have done well, then you put yourself in a good position for an A.
Reply 2141
I did the weather and climate 40 marker, and I remember my agree side for the essay was lacking, so my bit of flair was "trying to repair or make better of the damage we have done, is like feeding fertilising the soil around the base of a plant that is already dead."

That's flair right?
i did the 25 marker World Cities

the urban decline, is it right to talk about the 4 stages of decline and then high unemployment, high crime because of derelict land, and poor quality of life ??

also I spoke about Manchester redevelopment of Armadale, printworks ect is this right??
Original post by Domers_
Do you reckon I'll be alright for structuring my essay like this?
Intro - define sustainability etc..
Argument 1 - Some urban areas desire to be more sustainable but are unable to achieve it (I used a couple of local case studies here plus others) for a varying amount of factors
Argument 2 - However some places have proven that sustainability can be achieved - Freiburg, Dharavi (I wanted to do Curitiba but ran out of time) however, whist it is environmentally sustainable, it is not always socially sustainable
Conclusion - Sustainability is desirable, but hard to achieve, yet some places show it can be done

Yes that structure looks very good! As long as you backed up your points and referred to the question, you will do well! My concluding point was very similar to yours, so if you do well so will I haha! What 25 markers did you answer?
Original post by Sonnal
haha aw what you aiming for?

I was originally aiming for an A but found the paper to be exactly what I hoped it would be aha so fingers crossed for an A*! You?
Can someone tell if my tectonics 40m is bad?
I talked about wegner and knowleged of plate boundaires to understand how differnt volcanoes form
Then i spoke about different types of eruptions to plan land use at different plate boundaires for understanding
Finally technology for predicting hazrds and impacts
Please help!
Can someone tell if my tectonics 40m is bad?
I talked about wegner and knowleged of plate boundaires to understand how differnt volcanoes form
Then i spoke about different types of eruptions to plan land use at different plate boundaires for understanding
Finally technology for predicting hazrds and impacts
Please help!
Reply 2147
Original post by Starstriker
I was originally aiming for an A but found the paper to be exactly what I hoped it would be aha so fingers crossed for an A*! You?

aww thats good news! I'm predicted an A*, but don't think I've got it so A haha
TECTONICS ESSAY HELP

I included brief paragraph of the hazards/impacts of volcanic eruptions, then social economic environmental impacts, how they are made worse by human factors(high pop density) and physical (duration), how LEDCs more affected than MEDCs,

can be managed by prediction, preparation(education n evacuation route ect)
BRIEFLY linked to case studies of E-15 and Montserat,

do u think this content is ok?? will I get above 20 marks even though I didn't use very much case study evidence ?:frown:
Original post by studynerd4
TECTONICS ESSAY HELP

I included brief paragraph of the hazards/impacts of volcanic eruptions, then social economic environmental impacts, how they are made worse by human factors(high pop density) and physical (duration), how LEDCs more affected than MEDCs,

can be managed by prediction, preparation(education n evacuation route ect)
BRIEFLY linked to case studies of E-15 and Montserat,

do u think this content is ok?? will I get above 20 marks even though I didn't use very much case study evidence ?:frown:

You'll get above 20 I reckon, it's a decent structure. But why did you use little case study evidence?

Posted from TSR Mobile
ECOSYSTEM ESSAY HELP
For the 40 mark ecosystems essay my main focus was ecosystems at a local scale, for example biological conservation areas,invasive Japanese Knotweed depleting native species so they may not be around for the future and urban niches. I mentioned TRF CACC and cattle ranching in Brazil but my main focus was the local ecosystems. Please someone tell me whether they're relevant, I'm so worried about it :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
What was the exact wording of the world cities essay? I wrote only about how true sustainability could be achieved and not the other side of the argument 😬
Original post by hpiercey3
Yes that structure looks very good! As long as you backed up your points and referred to the question, you will do well! My concluding point was very similar to yours, so if you do well so will I haha! What 25 markers did you answer?
That's a relief! I was one of the only ones out of my class to do that essay, so was unsure if it was viable. I did the 25 markers on plate tectonics and Development & Globalisation
Original post by Kaya22

Jan 2013 "Evaluate the success of one city centre development that you have studied" 10 marks (so exactly like the one today and the examiners report says:

"This question presented a few issues for examiners, and unfortunately there was a large number ofvery low scoring answers, with many (35%) scoring zero. The context of the question was the‘redevelopment of a city centre’ - a section that appears in the specification under the heading‘Retailing and other services’. The question was not one of urban regeneration per se - the locationhad to be ‘city centre/CBD’ or within the ‘frame’ of a CBD. Consequently, areas identified as theLondon Docklands, the Olympic site, Thames Gateway, Cardiff Bay docks, Hulme City Challenge,Park Hill flats in Sheffield, Dharavi, the entire city of Liverpool etc., were not appropriate nor validcontexts. Level 2 responses were able to provide some specific detail of the chosen city centre - forexample in central Manchester, Birmingham or Hull - together with some simple, or tentative,statements of success or otherwise. Level 3 was awarded to rare answers that gave a range offeatures of redevelopment of the chosen city centre and clear and explicit statements of evaluation."

Wth so it was to do with retailing??? It didn't specify that it in question and there are so many questions to do with regeneration
Is this structure okay for the tectonics essay?

Intro:
- Defined hazard and said how recent advances have certainly helped to reduced death tolls, but it arguably depends on a country's economic development. I also said how the destruction on the natural environment is less manageable
Main 1:
- Technological advancements (and talked about the theory and how we understand where they occur) have resulted in improved prediction methods - Mt. St. Helens - 2000 evacuated - only 57 died but a lot of natural destruction e.g. the 240km of forest - that was unable to be prevented - pyroclastic flows are unstoppable
- Whereas there were no methods in place at Montserrat - only 19 died bc sparsely populated but would've been more
- however Mt Pinatubo 1991 - 60,000 evacuated - possibly not related to economic development?
Main 2:
- Protection methods - can't stop lava flows but can divert them e.g. 1983 Mt Etna - no deaths. in this sense that natural destruction can be reduced also. buildings cant be designed to withstand lava flows but can withstand weight of falling ash and linked this to etna and st helens.
- Montserrat - Plymouth buried under 12m of ash - couldn't withstand the weight of it - due to economic development - LEDCs less able to protect from volcanic hazards bc less money and expertise as well as knowledge and understanding
Main 3:
- Increased knowledge etc improves preparation for such hazards - FEMA, evac zones etc reduces amount of deaths but not really destruction
Conclusion:
- while recent advances in understanding etc etc have certainly reduced death tolls, the actually impact on the environment is still extremely destructive. also, it could be suggested that, if a country is wealthy enough, methods of PPP are more effective than in LEDCs where some people believe that god causes such disasters
Original post by Winner65
What was the exact wording of the world cities essay? I wrote only about how true sustainability could be achieved and not the other side of the argument 😬

True sustainability in urban areas is an unachievable goal ... Discuss

im sure you did great
Original post by markwaleczek
Anyone know if mentioning the Gunder Frank Dependency Theory would have have been relevant for the D&G 40 mark? It was one of my main points...

fancy seeing you here my friend
Original post by rosieschofield
why would they mark you down for that i've never heard of that :frown:

Because on the front of the paper it says to leave 2 lines between each answer :/
Original post by L1lly
Lets start a geog4a thread pls! Predictions ???😁

Not done much work haha
Original post by harrison6789
Because on the front of the paper it says to leave 2 lines between each answer :/

Does it? I don't think it matters, or at least I hope not because I only left 1 blank line between answers but my number was next to the questions anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending