The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography GEOG 3 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by clarypops
True sustainability in urban areas is an unachievable goal ... Discuss

im sure you did great

Was it ok to solely base the essay on transport and waste management as long as you had lots of synopticity and sufficient case studies?
Original post by Sarah1122
Thank-you Jingo, I appreciate the reply! Did you mention anything about urban ecosystems too? Hopefully it'll be fine :smile:

I didn't but that's purely because I felt I knew a lot on fragile stuff and urban stuff I was less good on. A friend on mine did a paragraph on urban ecosystems and conservation areas. Yeah you will be fine don't worry, the boundaries are quite generous for geography so if you knew your stuff I'm sure you will get a good grade!
for the intrusive was it just batholiths, latholiths, dykes, sills, tors and bosses? Also will you get marks for diagrams?
Original post by Domers_
That's a relief! I was one of the only ones out of my class to do that essay, so was unsure if it was viable. I did the 25 markers on plate tectonics and Development & Globalisation

Ah yes most people in my class did either PT or ecosystems, very few human essays strangely?

Me too, what did you think of the D+G 7 marker? I had to literally make everything up could not remember anything. Seemed all together though a nicer paper than previous years. If only EU groupings had come up, or retail... then it would have been perfect.
Original post by jammypancake
for the intrusive was it just batholiths, latholiths, dykes, sills, tors and bosses? Also will you get marks for diagrams?

That's correct. You won't get any extra marks for diagrams unless they elaborate on anything you've put in your written answer
Original post by markwaleczek
Its a theory that suggests the development gap exists and poor countries continue to be underdeveloped because the developed world require it to be this way, in order to have access to cheap labour and raw materials. In this sense, the development gap is favourable for the developed world and so do little to address it. This surely has some relevance?

I mean I don't fully understand it, but if its suggesting that ldcs havent received help for this reason then yes it would be relevant.
But them why have other countries such as India grown, once an LEDC, grown and helped to close the development gap? Or is it that only some have to remain undeveloped?
Probably a lack of understanding from me rather than it not being correct :smile:
Original post by Peppercrunch
Wrote like:
- Decentralisation = less service sector jobs - added facts about Liverpool to illustrate this
- Deindustrialisation = people became unemployed due to decline of manufacturing etc. - again added facts.
- Margaret Thatcher government encouraging owner-occupancy = banks refusing to loan money for inner city.
- Filtering of workforce - poor, school leavers, young, and elderly etc. staying in city whilst more affluent, mobile people move to suburbs, rural-urban fringe. Added fact about Liverpool having more commuters...

You?

Basically the same! I included the fact that with people moving out of the CBD/inner city there is an increase in vacancy rates of housing, leading to increased crime, squatters and possible ghettoization
Did I spell latholiths wrong? is it laccoliths? And will this affect the mark?

Phonetic spelling is allowed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by naz.97
Was it ok to solely base the essay on transport and waste management as long as you had lots of synopticity and sufficient case studies?

i think so! loads of people did that at my school :smile: i mentioned environmental and economic xx
Original post by hpiercey3
Ah yes most people in my class did either PT or ecosystems, very few human essays strangely?

Me too, what did you think of the D+G 7 marker? I had to literally make everything up could not remember anything. Seemed all together though a nicer paper than previous years. If only EU groupings had come up, or retail... then it would have been perfect.
I found the 7 marker pretty difficult and also made most of it up, I think I wrote about a sustainable tourism case study and then contrasted it with the picture (I said as it was built on a lake, it destroyed habitats and tourists could pollute it, so it was unsustainable). What did you think of the two TNC questions?
Original post by Domers_
I found the 7 marker pretty difficult and also made most of it up, I think I wrote about a sustainable tourism case study and then contrasted it with the picture (I said as it was built on a lake, it destroyed habitats and tourists could pollute it, so it was unsustainable). What did you think of the two TNC questions?

Oh good sounds like we answered it similarly, i wrote about 1 1/2 sides on it, kept linking how it could extend into mass tourism, need to be conserved with sustainable methods blah blah.
TNCs was quite nice, think my 10 marker was stronger than 8, included figures from Walmart and Primark mainly (e.g. employment, price, exploitation, competition with workers etc). Wrote lots on that felt quite happy with it in the end. The 8 marker not as nice, didnt really explain reasons why they exist, but hopefully my basic will be enough.

Yourself?
Original post by Jingo747
I didn't but that's purely because I felt I knew a lot on fragile stuff and urban stuff I was less good on. A friend on mine did a paragraph on urban ecosystems and conservation areas. Yeah you will be fine don't worry, the boundaries are quite generous for geography so if you knew your stuff I'm sure you will get a good grade!

Haha I'm the opposite, and good luck with GEOG4 I feel better knowing your friend mentioned urban ecosystems and conservation areas too! In my college only one other person did ecosystems :tongue:
Original post by Atomicmat
Is this structure okay for the tectonics essay?

Intro:
- Defined hazard and said how recent advances have certainly helped to reduced death tolls, but it arguably depends on a country's economic development. I also said how the destruction on the natural environment is less manageable
Main 1:
- Technological advancements (and talked about the theory and how we understand where they occur) have resulted in improved prediction methods - Mt. St. Helens - 2000 evacuated - only 57 died but a lot of natural destruction e.g. the 240km of forest - that was unable to be prevented - pyroclastic flows are unstoppable
- Whereas there were no methods in place at Montserrat - only 19 died bc sparsely populated but would've been more
- however Mt Pinatubo 1991 - 60,000 evacuated - possibly not related to economic development?
Main 2:
- Protection methods - can't stop lava flows but can divert them e.g. 1983 Mt Etna - no deaths. in this sense that natural destruction can be reduced also. buildings cant be designed to withstand lava flows but can withstand weight of falling ash and linked this to etna and st helens.
- Montserrat - Plymouth buried under 12m of ash - couldn't withstand the weight of it - due to economic development - LEDCs less able to protect from volcanic hazards bc less money and expertise as well as knowledge and understanding
Main 3:
- Increased knowledge etc improves preparation for such hazards - FEMA, evac zones etc reduces amount of deaths but not really destruction
Conclusion:
- while recent advances in understanding etc etc have certainly reduced death tolls, the actually impact on the environment is still extremely destructive. also, it could be suggested that, if a country is wealthy enough, methods of PPP are more effective than in LEDCs where some people believe that god causes such disasters

Anyone? :colondollar: pretty worried
Original post by hpiercey3
Oh good sounds like we answered it similarly, i wrote about 1 1/2 sides on it, kept linking how it could extend into mass tourism, need to be conserved with sustainable methods blah blah.
TNCs was quite nice, think my 10 marker was stronger than 8, included figures from Walmart and Primark mainly (e.g. employment, price, exploitation, competition with workers etc). Wrote lots on that felt quite happy with it in the end. The 8 marker not as nice, didnt really explain reasons why they exist, but hopefully my basic will be enough.

Yourself?
I only really did a Wal-Mart case study as it was the last thing we learnt in class, and I more or less wrote what was in the revision book for the 10 marker. However, I was able to include some stuff about the Westernisation of cultures in host countries by Coca cola & environmental impacts such as 2009 BP oil spill (I was getting pretty desperate at this point). For the 8 marker I spoke about Wal-mart's HQ in Arkansas and manufacturing industries in China and India and then said it had grown due to cheap labour costs and the low cost of goods for consumers in the USA etc... Those two questions went reasonably well I thought. How did you do for plate tectonics?
Original post by sciencefreak0
Did anyone do the ecosystems essay? And if so what did you talk about? I'm a little concerned right now...

Talked about ecosystems where the management wasnt succesfull such as jau national park where there are only 4 rangers etc and then the opposite side of the argument eg urban conservation area called troopers hill, also put in planned and succesfull introduction of new species and linked to how sustainable and talked about plagioclimax being sustainable to prevent succesion on heather moorland, creating a habitat for rare birds to nest in amd therefore sustaolinable for the future and other case studies relating to this hope this helps but it was a very open ended question.
(edited 7 years ago)

I thought they're called batholiths?
Oh shiiiitttt..... for the 40 marker tectonics essay.. Were we supposed to talk about the plate tectonic theory etc. and how volcanoes are distributed??? as its part of "knowledge, understanding" part in the question.. I didn't include any of that omg.
I mainly talked about prediction, planning, management strategies and technology and contrasted it with case studies and other factors. 😭😭
Original post by EpicTree
I thought they're called batholiths?

batholiths, laccolith and loppoliths are all different features :smile:
Original post by alexarmstrong7
Not gonna lie to you all. That post regarding the JAN2013 paper and only being able to talk about city centres breaks my heart </3

It's actually so tragic! Whats more annoying is that I thought about writing a city centre but I couldn't think of any impacts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending