The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography GEOG 3 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EpicTree
I thought they're called batholiths?

Yeah they are, there are batholiths and I think the other is called laccoliths but I spelt them latholiths
On the conflicts and ppate tectonics 10 markers if we knew a lot about the first part of the question and slighlty weaker on second part such as the nature and impacts of the earthquakes will we not be able to get into top band, i talked about both parts of the quaestion though?
Original post by lulus1
batholiths, laccolith and loppoliths are all different features :smile:

do you reckon they'll accept latholiths as laccoliths?
Original post by jammypancake

Depends on marker, id give you benefit of doubt though 😂

yeah :smile:
as long as you described a laccolith they would know what you were going for
Do you think it matters if I didn't include any examples or case studies in the urban decline question?
Original post by sciencefreak0
Did anyone do the ecosystems essay? And if so what did you talk about? I'm a little concerned right now...

My essay was pretty much:

> Intro, defining terms etc, how sustainability and human development were linked
> Examples of where it is not sustainable - eg. Serengeti (poaching, farming, population pressure etc) and the Coral Reef in Australia and Palau
> Examples of where management has meant it can be sustainable eg. Heron Island in Australia, Serengeti management
> Conclusion!

I think I waffled a bit unfortunately but hopefully it was okay! What about you?
Do you think it matters if I didn't include any examples or case studies in the urban decline question?

8 markers don't require a lot of case study information but they do require some as evidence to back up your knowledge. For example, urban decline is characterised by increasing industrial decline such as in Detroit where the automative industry moved to Minneapolis and Boston. However, you can still get 6 or 7 without case study information if you answer is strong

Posted from TSR Mobile

I told you phonetic spelling is allowed haha, so yes. Only SPAG is really assessed on the 40 marker essay

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by czj1997
Oh shiiiitttt..... for the 40 marker tectonics essay.. Were we supposed to talk about the plate tectonic theory etc. and how volcanoes are distributed??? as its part of "knowledge, understanding" part in the question.. I didn't include any of that omg.
I mainly talked about prediction, planning, management strategies and technology and contrasted it with case studies and other factors. 😭😭

No, it was nothing about theory of plate tectonics. What you've included sounds amazing 😁 (I may be biased because I've put the same as you haha)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by evealice
My essay was pretty much:

> Intro, defining terms etc, how sustainability and human development were linked
> Examples of where it is not sustainable - eg. Serengeti (poaching, farming, population pressure etc) and the Coral Reef in Australia and Palau
> Examples of where management has meant it can be sustainable eg. Heron Island in Australia, Serengeti management
> Conclusion!

I think I waffled a bit unfortunately but hopefully it was okay! What about you?

Pretty much the same as mine with the layout but i put in about introduxtion of japanses knotweed as surely thatd a human activity and i also talked about jau, i was repeating myself a lot throughout but was so much to talk about wrote 5 1/2 pages haha
My essay was 14 pages and people are writing like 5? What even? I wrote 26 pages in total 😏 now my hand is sore af

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sacred Ground
My essay was 14 pages and people are writing like 5? What even? I wrote 26 pages in total 😏 now my hand is sore af

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahahahahahhahahahaahahahah how / why did you do 14, did you finish?
Original post by Domers_
I only really did a Wal-Mart case study as it was the last thing we learnt in class, and I more or less wrote what was in the revision book for the 10 marker. However, I was able to include some stuff about the Westernisation of cultures in host countries by Coca cola & environmental impacts such as 2009 BP oil spill (I was getting pretty desperate at this point). For the 8 marker I spoke about Wal-mart's HQ in Arkansas and manufacturing industries in China and India and then said it had grown due to cheap labour costs and the low cost of goods for consumers in the USA etc... Those two questions went reasonably well I thought. How did you do for plate tectonics?

You've given me faith on the D+G 8 marker i did the same case study and explanation so thats good as well. Plate tectonics was lovely all of the questions, very happy i revised hotspots and intrusive landforms and their formation, although my 8 marker characteristics was heavily biased on batholiths. 10 marker did Haiti earthquake, had so much to write about it, had to stop myself and move on! haha

What did you think?
Original post by Sacred Ground

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wrote 11 pages for my essay, filled up the booklet and 3 extra in the end
Original post by hpiercey3
You've given me faith on the D+G 8 marker i did the same case study and explanation so thats good as well. Plate tectonics was lovely all of the questions, very happy i revised hotspots and intrusive landforms and their formation, although my 8 marker characteristics was heavily biased on batholiths. 10 marker did Haiti earthquake, had so much to write about it, had to stop myself and move on! haha

What did you think?
I literally cannot believe how similar our answers are! I also revised hotspots heavily, wrote a lot about batholiths, and also did Haiti as the 10 marker - which was a dream of a question!
Original post by hpiercey3
I wrote 11 pages for my essay, filled up the booklet and 3 extra in the end

Probably waffling about not needed info then
Original post by EpicTree
I thought they're called batholiths?

Batholiths are a different feature x
Original post by czj1997
Oh shiiiitttt..... for the 40 marker tectonics essay.. Were we supposed to talk about the plate tectonic theory etc. and how volcanoes are distributed??? as its part of "knowledge, understanding" part in the question.. I didn't include any of that omg.
I mainly talked about prediction, planning, management strategies and technology and contrasted it with case studies and other factors. 😭😭

No I just think you were meant to write about prediction and technology etc. That was the main bit of the question, knowing about plate tectonics wouldn't have affected any recent case studies because we've known about tectonics since the 1950s
For the Jan 2013 paper the question asked about 'redevelopment' of city centres whereas ours used 'regeneration' so I think they've kept it deliberately open to credit all types of urban renewal. Also the question before was on urban decline and normally the 8 and 10 markers are related. This made me think it was perhaps more inclined to property led regeneration or partnership schemes. Anyway idek, I could be right, or I could've just lost 10 marks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending