The Student Room Group

Exam on Monday - Nothing going in?? HELP

I have an exam monday morning and i literally dont know ANYTHING

A few days ago i was completely fine and was able to answer the questions (practice papers) and in the last few days i have gone completely blank

I keep writing things out to trigger my memory but i CANNOT take it in and im stressing out.

I have had quite bad anxiety over the last few days (not exam related) but i just feel its making it harder to revise and i am PANICKING EVEN MORE

ANYONE HAVE ANY TIPS

Part of my mind is trying to revise and the other part is worried about anxiety and its JUST URGH
I used to have bad anxiety, I never controlled it, or tried to get rid of it, it just went gradually. It's a difficult situation having anxiety like you are experiencing. If I needed to do revision, but I was anxious and tired, I would usually have a nap or watch TV for a while but this would often cause me more anxiety as I hadn't done anything. Here's what I suggest:

- put some music on, nothing too heavy, I suggest Ludovico Einaudi, his piano music is really relaxing. If it is loud where you are working, wear headphones or earphones.

- sit by a window with lots of natural lighting.

- don't rush, if I get anxious, I do things at the speed of light and if you are doing this, nothing will go in so slow down

- have a warm shower, just a quick one, put some clean and comfortable clothes on.

- make a plan of what you are going to do, it sounds like you are frantically attacking the revision doing whatever, make a plan, do a PowerPoint (mind map, whatever) on a topic and then test yourself, you probably know more than you think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by epage
I used to have bad anxiety, I never controlled it, or tried to get rid of it, it just went gradually. It's a difficult situation having anxiety like you are experiencing. If I needed to do revision, but I was anxious and tired, I would usually have a nap or watch TV for a while but this would often cause me more anxiety as I hadn't done anything. Here's what I suggest:

- put some music on, nothing too heavy, I suggest Ludovico Einaudi, his piano music is really relaxing. If it is loud where you are working, wear headphones or earphones.

- sit by a window with lots of natural lighting.

- don't rush, if I get anxious, I do things at the speed of light and if you are doing this, nothing will go in so slow down

- have a warm shower, just a quick one, put some clean and comfortable clothes on.

- make a plan of what you are going to do, it sounds like you are frantically attacking the revision doing whatever, make a plan, do a PowerPoint (mind map, whatever) on a topic and then test yourself, you probably know more than you think.Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your help (just took a shower feel a little more at ease. If you dont mind me asking how long did it take your anxiety to go? it sucks but mine is weird i feel i get MORE and MORE anxiety during these months, its usually not that bad i try and brush it off but because of exams i just cannot concentrate, hopefully the exam will be okay.

Im trying to write it down and read and re read, its weird because i knew all these things last week and since my last exam i have forgotten all i needed for this exam :frown:
I had the exact same thing happen to me with maths! What I did is I wrote a list about topics that I once knew, but had forgotten and just watched some revision videos on them to refresh my mind and read over my revision guide, after I did that I answered some practice questions and everything came back to me! In terms of your anxiety, just remind yourself that exams are nearly over and do something to keep your mind at ease. (For me it's music!)
Reply 4
The fact that you were fine and able to answer questions well a few days ago means that you do know enough -- so don't panic about that. You have everything you need, but your anxiety is making you forget it temporarily because you're panicking so much.

So naturally the obvious thing to do is stop being so anxious -- I know it sounds like stupid advice because I know what bad anxiety + stress is like and it's hard to calm down, but follow the tips the other poster gave about anxiety then start light revision.

Don't try to cram, you've got everything you need like I said. You just need to jog your memory in a less stressful manner.

What exam is it?
GL
Original post by ColdRivers
Thanks for your help (just took a shower feel a little more at ease. If you dont mind me asking how long did it take your anxiety to go? it sucks but mine is weird i feel i get MORE and MORE anxiety during these months, its usually not that bad i try and brush it off but because of exams i just cannot concentrate, hopefully the exam will be okay.

Im trying to write it down and read and re read, its weird because i knew all these things last week and since my last exam i have forgotten all i needed for this exam :frown:

I it for about 2 years. But it differs a lot from person to person. Don't try and brush anxiety off, I did that for a long time and it got worse and worse until I was having anxiety attacks every evening. Talk to a counsellor or someone if you need to, the likelihood is there is an underlying cause.

If you knew all those things last week then you know it! Its most likely the anxiety thats causing you to have a brain block and you probably can't think straight. Leave it alone for a while, maybe focus on some other revision if you feel you need to do some. You still have tomorrow to revise, right? :smile:
Reply 6
Thanks everyone the exam went really well and hopefully i get the grades! @epage thank you so much for your advice otherwise i would have completely just given up.

Good luck with your exams (if you have any) :smile: :smile:
Original post by ColdRivers
Thanks everyone the exam went really well and hopefully i get the grades! @epage thank you so much for your advice otherwise i would have completely just given up.

Good luck with your exams (if you have any) :smile: :smile:

Glad the exam went well and I'm glad I could help! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending