The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography GEOG 3 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iyi123
you'll be fine then; did you do the climate essay by any chance

I didn't sorry, I did the plate tectonics essay, how did you find the exam on the whole?

Posted from TSR Mobile
that world cities 10 marker as the only regeneration case studies I was taught were both in inner city areas :/
Didn't think they were supposed to specify what case studies to do
I don't think it was on retailing as otherwise it should have said as the Bullring is the only city centre I was taught but pretty sure they'd specify if it was retailing & since that was the question last year a lot wouldn't think it'll be the same thing again so most likely wrote about a different case study.
I think this years paper was harder than last years though - well for the topics I did and I think (hopefully) the grade boundaries will be lower as I aim aiming for an A* but that 10 marker may ruin things
Original post by tcameron
that world cities 10 marker as the only regeneration case studies I was taught were both in inner city areas :/
Didn't think they were supposed to specify what case studies to do
I don't think it was on retailing as otherwise it should have said as the Bullring is the only city centre I was taught but pretty sure they'd specify if it was retailing & since that was the question last year a lot wouldn't think it'll be the same thing again so most likely wrote about a different case study.
I think this years paper was harder than last years though - well for the topics I did and I think (hopefully) the grade boundaries will be lower as I aim aiming for an A* but that 10 marker may ruin things

To be honest, I don't specifically think mentioning retail will matter. I included retail in the form of Arnndale centre in the city centre of Manchester however, I also included other aspects of 'measures' (whatever that means) such as tram links built in 1992. What did you write then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Julieplec
To be honest, I don't specifically think mentioning retail will matter. I included retail in the form of Arnndale centre in the city centre of Manchester however, I also included other aspects of 'measures' (whatever that means) such as tram links built in 1992. What did you write then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wrote about partnership scheme in new islington which is an inner city area, my only other choice was Hulme - another inner city area
Retailing didn't even cross my mind as I thought it should be clear what they wanted - was a far too ambiguous question and if I get 0 marks will be a massive chunk off as I know my 40 marker or 7 markers weren't so strong
Original post by tcameron
I wrote about partnership scheme in new islington which is an inner city area, my only other choice was Hulme - another inner city area
Retailing didn't even cross my mind as I thought it should be clear what they wanted - was a far too ambiguous question and if I get 0 marks will be a massive chunk off as I know my 40 marker or 7 markers weren't so strong

Sorry to hear! Which other topics did you do? I did the ecosystems 25 mark section and the tectonics 40 mark essay

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry to hear! Which other topics did you do? I did the ecosystems 25 mark section and the tectonics 40 mark essay

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did tectonics 25 marker but the 7 marker was awkward and weather and climate 40 marker, I feel I may have just got into level 4 or high level 3 but that may not be enough for an A* in this paper maybe
Do you think I've done it wrong too? Ah gosh, I was hoping for an A* in geography. That'll be gone if I get 0 for that question.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Honestly I just don't know. Sounds like I'm in the same boat as you I need an A* and my university hopes will be gone if I've got 0 on that ridiculous question
Original post by Goulden_J
Honestly I just don't know. Sounds like I'm in the same boat as you I need an A* and my university hopes will be gone if I've got 0 on that ridiculous question

yep :frown:
although I don't need an A* I'm trying to compensate for if one of my other grades drop and geography was my best bet
Such as stupid question - would have got it most likely if only it was worded better
Original post by isobella98
ehhhhhh I see what you did there!!

nah it wasn't that bad but it wasn't that great either - I didn't do my fav topic (hazards) which was a bit weird for me really bc I always do that ahaha

how did you get on with it??

the questions weren't too bad I did the hazards 25 mark, world cities 25 mark and the conflict essay wbu
Original post by EpicTree
Because london doclands is not a city centre

yikes good bye university offer
Original post by Mimthompson
Really worried I did the world cities 40 marker but I couldn't think of any cities which are completely unsustainable because most are trying to fix the problem
I wrote;
- Lots on Curitiba but focused a lot on Jamie Lerner's philosophy that sustainability can always be achieved, mainly used transport and waste
- London as trying to make way to become more sustainable and then Bedzed which should be an example
- Mumbai and their sustainable waste but the exploitation of the poor
- energy in the UK aiming to become like Iceland and Denmark

Do you think I'll be okay because it's not really balanced. I concluded saying that sustainability can only be achieved if we have a definition of when sustainability can ever be reached because there are always new ways to become even more sustainable.

So worried about this now

Hey! I did something quite similar jus a focused on transport for London! And I also couldn't do any cities completely sustainable, I think you should be okay even though it's not balanced, you have probably discussed both sides so I don't think there's much point stressing now! It's done! Jus hope for the best x
Original post by Goulden_J

This is the same for me I need an A* in one subject and I was counting on it being in geography but if I get 0 for that one question then this is looking very unlikely. My geography teacher is also my school's exam officer so I'll email her to see what she thinks about the question. If she then contacted AQA it would have more clout than us emailing them but at this stage I highly doubt the exam board would alter the mark scheme or anything like that. Just have to wait and see I suppose :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by matthh
This is the same for me I need an A* in one subject and I was counting on it being in geography but if I get 0 for that one question then this is looking very unlikely. My geography teacher is also my school's exam officer so I'll email her to see what she thinks about the question. If she then contacted AQA it would have more clout than us emailing them but at this stage I highly doubt the exam board would alter the mark scheme or anything like that. Just have to wait and see I suppose :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

DW guys I too am joining the 'need an a* but screwed up oops looks like I'll have to get it in something else oh wait a second geography was my only hope' club :smile:))) :frown:
What did people comment about the table for the first World Cities question!!???
Original post by CLGC98
What did people comment about the table for the first World Cities question!!???

I recall talking about how the percentage of recycling has increased, landfill has decreased, total disposal has increased (I included figures from the table.) I then gave reasons for the decreases e.g. Landfill sites running out of space, the government proposed in 2006 that there was only 9 years left of landfill space. Also, people are becoming more savvy regarding climate change and so looking for alternatives to landfill e.g. Recycling (which explains why it increased) - I kind of just done this and explained each increase or decrease. How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by plxntsoul
the questions weren't too bad I did the hazards 25 mark, world cities 25 mark and the conflict essay wbu

for the 25 markers I did world cities and ecosystems, and then the conflicts essay too :smile: I was gonna choose the hazards essay and I was sat there for about 10 minutes trying to decide ahahah
for the world cities, I spoke about Hull city centre being refurbished and how tourism has increased as a result
but then challenged it with difficult accessibility to Hull
is this okay?
Original post by einnanewo
I was the same I wrote about London thanes gateway because that was the case study given for regeneration but now I'm worried it's not a 'city centre', how do you weite to Aqua about it?

I'm emailing to this address I found on the website: [email protected] and just saying about how the question's wording meant it was ambiguous etc. As well as speaking to my teacher so she can do the same hopefully.
I recall talking about how the percentage of recycling has increased, landfill has decreased, total disposal has increased (I included figures from the table.) I then gave reasons for the decreases e.g. Landfill sites running out of space, the government proposed in 2006 that there was only 9 years left of landfill space. Also, people are becoming more savvy regarding climate change and so looking for alternatives to landfill e.g. Recycling (which explains why it increased) - I kind of just done this and explained each increase or decrease. How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep fairly similar, i just talked about how theyve changed e.g landfill decreased etc . Talked about how landfill is unsustainable and people are shifting towards more sustainable methods for disposing waste e.g recycling composting etc

Incineration increased slightly due to development of energy recovery as a method for generating electricity.

Also mentioned disposal had decreased due to schemes like reducing packaging and stuff and reusing stuff
Weather and climate questions
1st one, I put about pollutants react with sunlight and anticyclonic conditions help to trap the pollutants below the inversion layer etc :smile:
2nd Ocean currents and air masses etc :smile:
3rd Great storm of 1987, 16 people dead blah blah etc :smile:

World cities
1st one was great commented on the table and that waste is declining, EU set UK a 50% recycling target means less at landfill etc :smile:
2nd one the main causes of urban decline I felt were suburbanisation, people move out leaving urban blight shops closing environment turning bad cycle of deprivation
3rd one I put about the regeneration of Park Hill and London Docklands...breakdown of east end community is that right?

Volcano 40marker----------wegener, eruption of eyjallajokull and how people had web cams could track monitor eruption = less deaths
in Hawaai land use farmers know its basaltic so know clear flanks as its is running, covers a long distance etc (thought the 40marker was decent)
Just worried about what i put for world cities 2nd and 3rd one, are they right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending