The Student Room Group

Applied Mechanics or A-Level Mechanics?

Hey guys,

I am currently doing a engineering course which doesnt teach enough mechanical principles or engineering maths. so inorder for me to prepare myself better for university in september i am going to buy or find a online PDF of books which will teach me more about the theory of the subject. I will be doing a Mechanical engineering course in september.

I was just wondering whether i should buy a A level Maths and Mechanics Study books or should i purchase a more applied mechanics. i think the latter of the two would help me more as it is more applied to engineering. Or i was thinking of buying the books which are reconmended by the uni, so i could get a head start with studying the maths.

just a bit unsure because these books are exspensive, and would not want to risk 40 quids.

thanks,
Original post by fei345
Hey guys,

I am currently doing a engineering course which doesnt teach enough mechanical principles or engineering maths. so inorder for me to prepare myself better for university in september i am going to buy or find a online PDF of books which will teach me more about the theory of the subject. I will be doing a Mechanical engineering course in september.

I was just wondering whether i should buy a A level Maths and Mechanics Study books or should i purchase a more applied mechanics. i think the latter of the two would help me more as it is more applied to engineering. Or i was thinking of buying the books which are reconmended by the uni, so i could get a head start with studying the maths.

just a bit unsure because these books are exspensive, and would not want to risk 40 quids.

thanks,

Firstly, I am confused as to how you are doing an engineering course that does not appear to teach enough engineering.

What is the actual difference between the applied mechanics and A-level mechanics? If the applied mechanics is much more similar to university level engineering type problems, then it might be a better choice than A-level mechanics. Although I didn't do A-levels myself, I have seen some of the higher level mechanics papers and my general impression was that they were more aligned with physics, and were much "purer". Of course, the books that your (future) university recommends will likely be the most relevant, although if they prove to be very expensive there might be enough free help on the internet and Youtube.
I'd say just get an M1 revision book for like £10. Personally I find mechanics is a pretty boring subject at university and you don't really want to be at an advanced level in it or it will become even more boring, maybe learning maths in general would be a better idea.
Original post by Smack
Firstly, I am confused as to how you are doing an engineering course that does not appear to teach enough engineering.

yeah i am also confused that i havent done enough maths/mechanics in comparsion to some one who would of studdied A-Levels. In the course i am currently doing, it is a lot course work base, but we do have exams for maths and mechanics. however, in these units we only scratch the surface of certain topics in the subject. whereas A-levels goes much more in depth with all the maths.

I know you will get much more mathematical knowledge if you would of studied maths at A level. this is because i did 3 years ago, but dropped out to do this course which hasnt really covered alot of maths.

But yeah i've just downloaded 2 introduction mechanical engineering books from a website so i probably will just have a look through them and study topics which i am unsure about.
Original post by Helloworld_95
I'd say just get an M1 revision book for like £10. Personally I find mechanics is a pretty boring subject at university and you don't really want to be at an advanced level in it or it will become even more boring, maybe learning maths in general would be a better idea.

Well, i already have a AS & A2 maths study guide from roughly 3 years ago. . so do you reckon this would be enough to start uni with?
Original post by fei345
Well, i already have a AS & A2 maths study guide from roughly 3 years ago. . so do you reckon this would be enough to start uni with?

Definitely, that's the knowledge which most people will be starting the course with.
Original post by Helloworld_95
Definitely, that's the knowledge which most people will be starting the course with.

alright that will save me a bit of dolla then, thanks man

Quick Reply

Latest