The Student Room Group

What salary are you aiming to earn when you are 25?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ahannah
probably not much, seeing as I am going into the music industry... but I would rather do something I love rather than a boring office job (no offence to anyone who is interested in that, it's not for me) :smile:

this is me
£50k and no less. First year maths student. Already have a summer internship with an investment mgr for 2017 (via spring week) who pay this much upon graduation (inlcuding bonuses).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by That Arab Guy
this is me

:cool:
I don't care If I get negatively voted but some people are a tad delusional.

I know Student Room is atypical of normal students in that most people have the perfect journey: excellent grades, extra-curricular activities, top twenty university and then a graduate scheme job straight after university. However the fact that so many folk believe they will earn £45k+ within 3/4 years of graduation is madness.

The average salary in the U.K. is circa £25k (outside London) and this is heavily skewed due to other factors (folk that earn more - alot more in some cases). The only folk that will have a fighting chance of this are the self-employed, doctors, top 4 accountancy firm employed and of course your financiers working in London.

I mean fairplay to some of you - ambition is great and It would be lovely if our generation were able to enjoy the fruits of our labour and maybe some of the benefits of previous generations but I can't see it happening. The economic situation does not favour it.

The naive romanticism about career and life is why previous generations laugh at us.
Original post by jg2012
I don't care If I get negatively voted but some people are a tad delusional.

I know Student Room is atypical of normal students in that most people have the perfect journey: excellent grades, extra-curricular activities, top twenty university and then a graduate scheme job straight after university. However the fact that so many folk believe they will earn £45k+ within 3/4 years of graduation is madness.

The average salary in the U.K. is circa £25k (outside London) and this is heavily skewed due to other factors (folk that earn more - alot more in some cases). The only folk that will have a fighting chance of this are the self-employed, doctors, top 4 accountancy firm employed and of course your financiers working in London.

I mean fairplay to some of you - ambition is great and It would be lovely if our generation were able to enjoy the fruits of our labour and maybe some of the benefits of previous generations but I can't see it happening. The economic situation does not favour it.

The naive romanticism about career and life is why previous generations laugh at us.

What does 'so many" mean? There are millions earning the figure you've alluded to. A small thread with a few dozen people who want to go into certain careers doesn't seem like 'so many' to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
What does 'so many" mean? There are millions earning the figure you've alluded to. A small thread with a few dozen people who want to go into certain careers doesn't seem like 'so many' to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Relatively speaking. Also from personal experience in university. Then extrapolate this across the demographic and you'll have 'so many' delusional folk.

My First year economics professor had this exact conversation with us and he was mightily aghast at the delusion of us.

From an article I've read previously.

''Half of people in the UK in 2012-13 had declared taxable income (I make the point carefully) of £21,000 or less. Having income of £49,200 put a person in the top 10% and £150,000 or more, unsurprisingly, in the top 1%.''

http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2015/01/30/what-the-uk-really-earns/

As I said - It woul be brilliant and good on the folk who are ambitious and confident about it but there's no realism talking about £45k+ salaries by the age of 25, for the vast majority of people.
Original post by J-SP
Highly unlikely that those "millions" are 25 or under though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahahaha, I can always predict your responses :')
Original post by jg2012
Relatively speaking. Also from personal experience in university. Then extrapolate this across the demographic and you'll have 'so many' delusional folk.

My First year economics professor had this exact conversation with us and he was mightily aghast at the delusion of us.

From an article I've read previously.

''Half of people in the UK in 2012-13 had declared taxable income (I make the point carefully) of £21,000 or less. Having income of £49,200 put a person in the top 10% and £150,000 or more, unsurprisingly, in the top 1%.''

http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2015/01/30/what-the-uk-really-earns/

As I said - It woul be brilliant and good on the folk who are ambitious and confident about it but there's no realism talking about £45k+ salaries by the age of 25, for the vast majority of people.

Ofc, but the vast majority of people aren't on TSR and aren't posting on this thread!

Sure if we ran a poll and say 1000+ respondants answered that they're expecting at least £45k+ by 25 then yeah you'd have some basis to argue on. But the distribution on this thread is pretty decent and those who have said so called 'outlandish' figures have an idea of what career they want to do and what it pays.

In fact, most responses to this thread have been fairly reasonable.

1% of a big number is still a big number, not to mention that stretches out to close to 10-15% once you factor in the graduates of universities people here are aiming at in general.
Original post by Princepieman
Ofc, but the vast majority of people aren't on TSR and aren't posting on this thread!

Sure if we ran a poll and say 1000+ respondants answered that they're expecting at least £45k+ by 25 then yeah you'd have some basis to argue on. But the distribution on this thread is pretty decent and those who have said so called 'outlandish' figures have an idea of what career they want to do and what it pays.

In fact, most responses to this thread have been fairly reasonable.

1% of a big number is still a big number, not to mention that stretches out to close to 10-15% once you factor in the graduates of universities people here are aiming at in general.

Fair enough.

Just to point out aswell I'm not meaning to be harsh on anyone personally - I hope every single person in here earns a healthy crust - we're graduating in a poor economic environment and we're the most stressed generation (statistically), it would be nice if something good happened for once.

I just think its unrealistic at 25. At 30+ more likely.

Not to sound cheekier but I actually think £35k+ is unrealistic for most by 25. Having worked throughout uni and now entering the world of full-time work, I hardly come across anyone earning this - mad I know. My old manager was earning £20k per annum. My new manager earns £30k per annum but shes 42 and has been earning this fairly recently.

Salaries just don't seem as generous nowadays. Corporations are squeezing folk and know they have us by the short and curlies.
Original post by jg2012
Fair enough.

Just to point out aswell I'm not meaning to be harsh on anyone personally - I hope every single person in here earns a healthy crust - we're graduating in a poor economic environment and we're the most stressed generation (statistically), it would be nice if something good happened for once.

I just think its unrealistic at 25. At 30+ more likely.

Not to sound cheekier but I actually think £35k+ is unrealistic for most by 25. Having worked throughout uni and now entering the world of full-time work, I hardly come across anyone earning this - mad I know. My old manager was earning £20k per annum. My new manager earns £30k per annum but shes 42 and has been earning this fairly recently.

Salaries just don't seem as generous nowadays. Corporations are squeezing folk and know they have us by the short and curlies.

Yeah, it definitely does depend on what field you're in and where you're working. E.g. most of the highest paying jobs are in London but the cost of living counteracts the earnings premium.

I can imagine it being fairly difficult to hit £35k+ by 25 if you're working in say, HR, in Newcastle. But likewise it's pretty standard faire for a qualified accountant in the South East.

Pay has way too many variables at the end of the day.

Edit: just wanted to add that earnings potential isn't the be all and end all in a career, nor should it be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
I'd be ok with 20k, don't care
I'm single, no kids and have simple pleasures so my life should generally be well budgeted and ot calling for so much money
If I earn more then brilliant but I honestly would be ok with just a fine job and steady pay and worker's rights, I'm sorted and happy as Larry
Original post by ahpadt
Because far too many people in here believe that the higher salary job, the greater general life happiness. They will all be in for a gigantic shock. Get a job in a field that you love first, then worry about money. Otherwise you'll just hate your job.

It's more of a fact of having a general tolerance as tolerance can only get you so far.
Its good to have financial security, but if you have to drink five cups of coffee a day and finish the week off with strong wine, then you know the deal.
Early retirement and a paid off mortgage is plus.
I'm 24, earning £22k and living very comfortably. I love my job and I have enough money to do the things I want so I'm very happy.

Although, never going to complain about having more money :p:
May be on about £25k by the time I hit 25
Reply 113
Original post by jbman690
hopefully by then i'd have properly learnt how to trade, so i'd be making about 20k a month (if i started now)

:colondollar:
Realistically, I'll be earning around half a mil a fight 4/5 times a year as the UFC lightweight champ :cool:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Tempest II
I've recently turned 25 & I'm now on just over 23K per year. After tax, NI etc it's about 1550 per month. I don't have a mortgage & my car is by far my biggest outgoing so I'm living fairly comfortably although more money would be great.
I didn't go to uni so I've got no debts (other than my car).

Apparantly the UK average wage is about 26-27K so if you're earning that or above, especially in your twenties, then I'd say you're doing pretty well (except perhaps in London).

if you don't mind me asking what did you do instead of university?
Original post by biglad2k16
When you're 25 years old, what salary do you expect to earning? Realistically

At the rate the brexit vote is headed i'll be lucky if I'm employed when I'm 25 because in all honestly I think we'll end up like Greece.
No salary because I will have won the lottery and retired to live on my private island.
Reply 118
Around £30-35k
£1000000

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending