The Student Room Group

Mature student deduction enquiry

Hi,

Currently got my student finance approved for 23/24 year and I’m worried about deductions from last year affecting my upcoming loan (from the student finance website it’s approved and just awaiting registration at uni)

I had to move into my parents last year as i was self funding my tuition fees and was 25 (so mature student?) at the beginning of the academic year. Am I right in saying that my parents income will not have affected the loan I get so I can expect no deductions because of maintanance loan overpayments if their estimate of salary was wrong?

Thanks for the help!

Thomas
Original post by Tombaxter97
Hi,

Currently got my student finance approved for 23/24 year and I’m worried about deductions from last year affecting my upcoming loan (from the student finance website it’s approved and just awaiting registration at uni)

I had to move into my parents last year as i was self funding my tuition fees and was 25 (so mature student?) at the beginning of the academic year. Am I right in saying that my parents income will not have affected the loan I get so I can expect no deductions because of maintanance loan overpayments if their estimate of salary was wrong?

Thanks for the help!

Thomas

Hi Tom, yes if you are 25 before the first day of the academic year (1st of September) then we wouldn't assess you based on your parents earnings. Thanks, Jason
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi Tom, yes if you are 25 before the first day of the academic year (1st of September) then we wouldn't assess you based on your parents earnings. Thanks, Jason

thanks for getting back so quickly.

Just to confirm, that’s even if I was in my parents at the time?

Yes, even if you're living with parents we would still assess you as an independent student. Just ensure you've selected 'living with parents' if you will be during the 23/24 academic year. Thanks, Jason

Hi Tom,

We class you as independent if you're 25 before 01/09. This means we won't use your parents income when working out your finance.

Thanks,
Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending