The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Potential Whitefields/Tocil accomodation September 2016

Having done all my accommodation research before applying, both of these accommodations seemed fairly nice and well located for a cheap enough price.

However, Everywhere I read it seems theres a common fear of the "Flatmate Gamble" due to the insular nature of these accommodation blocks.

IE - If I don't get along with my flatmates Its going to be a living hell.

Im aware warwick accommodation team assign accommodation based off of interests, However I though it would be a good idea to create this thread for potential applicants in these accomodations to get to know each other and dispel anxieties to do with the dreaded flatmate gamble, or just to get to know people full stop.
Reply 1
For those interested, Included below is my "Describe yourself" for warwick accommodation;

MASSIVE geek, scifi/fantasy fan, avid reader (Will be transporting a veritable library with me to university) , love discussing theoretical situations and discussion of fan lore,books & hobbies. John green enthusiast. Musician.
Has a tonne of hobbies including D&D, Movies and TCG's. massive range of tastes, very open minded.
Massive Fan of Board games and anything involving strategy. Enjoys Being intellectual and philosophical/social, but can be serious when needed (exam periods etc)

Allthough initially shy, quite a sociable person and form close friendships, though still comfortable in large groups. Fairly outgoing with like-minded people,enjoys being sociable. Due to choosing flat-environments like whitefields,like-minded people with similar interests is a big priority.

Additional interests include computing (has Built PC's recreationally in the past, can code.)

Used to Being extremely independant, Looking forward to new opportunities at warwick university.
Can enjoy lively/party environments or quieter nights in, dependant on the group.
prefers a good mix of both.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by William_Hand
Having done all my accommodation research before applying, both of these accommodations seemed fairly nice and well located for a cheap enough price.

However, Everywhere I read it seems theres a common fear of the "Flatmate Gamble" due to the insular nature of these accommodation blocks.

IE - If I don't get along with my flatmates Its going to be a living hell.

Im aware warwick accommodation team assign accommodation based off of interests, However I though it would be a good idea to create this thread for potential applicants in these accomodations to get to know each other and dispel anxieties to do with the dreaded flatmate gamble, or just to get to know people full stop.

Dude don't live in Whitefields! I live in bluebell but I've heard it is horrible- too cold in winter and a sauna in the summer
For those interested, Included below is my "Describe yourself" for warwick accommodation;

MASSIVE geek, scifi/fantasy fan, avid reader (Will be transporting a veritable library with me to university) , love discussing theoretical situations and discussion of fan lore,books & hobbies. John green enthusiast. Musician.
Has a tonne of hobbies including D&D, Movies and TCG's. massive range of tastes, very open minded.
Massive Fan of Board games and anything involving strategy. Enjoys Being intellectual and philosophical/social, but can be serious when needed (exam periods etc)

Allthough initially shy, quite a sociable person and form close friendships, though still comfortable in large groups. Fairly outgoing with like-minded people,enjoys being sociable. Due to choosing flat-environments like whitefields,like-minded people with similar interests is a big priority.

Additional interests include computing (has Built PC's recreationally in the past, can code.)

Used to Being extremely independant, Looking forward to new opportunities at warwick university.
Can enjoy lively/party environments or quieter nights in, dependant on the group.

Man you wrote an A-level essay :tongue: I wrote like 20 words at max haha!
Whitefields is widely considered to be the worst accommodation, Tocil is considerably nicer (probably the nicest which isn't en suite).
Yeah not true, having lived in whitefields this year I can say it's not horrible. Yes it's the cheapest accommodation on campus, and so it's not exactly luxurious, but the pros outweigh the cons for sure. Perfect location, cheap so you can actually spend money on other things and it's easy to get on with your flat and others around it.
Reply 6
Original post by badgermushroom
Yeah not true, having lived in whitefields this year I can say it's not horrible. Yes it's the cheapest accommodation on campus, and so it's not exactly luxurious, but the pros outweigh the cons for sure. Perfect location, cheap so you can actually spend money on other things and it's easy to get on with your flat and others around it.

When Looking at accommodation I really like the whole quirky "Little house" Thing they had going on. although after hearing from others, starting to get slightly worried.

To be honest, I made my accommodation decision based on
1) Avoiding the whole "Long cramped corridor" feel. (Seriously from some university accomodations ive seen it looks and feels like a prison)
2) Relatively cheap
3)Located in reasonable places (IE not westwood)

In order my top 3 were
- Tocil
- Whitefields
- Cryfield
Reply 7

Im really regreting not writing as much now hahaha . You have very similar interests as me in terms of geekdom and discussion .what kind of books do you read

I don't think anything I said was untrue, I know plenty of people do enjoy Whitefields just fine, was just trying to give OP an idea of the differences between Tocil and Whitefields.

When Looking at accommodation I really like the whole quirky "Little house" Thing they had going on. although after hearing from others, starting to get slightly worried.

1) Avoiding the whole "Long cramped corridor" feel. (Seriously from some university accomodations ive seen it looks and feels like a prison)
2) Relatively cheap

In order my top 3 were
- Tocil
- Whitefields
- Cryfield

If you want to avoid prison-like cramped corridors then I would suggest avoiding Cryfield at all costs. I stayed there this year and it was excellent value for money and very decent accommodation, but probably has the narrowest corridors on campus!

2) Relatively cheap

In order my top 3 were
- Tocil
- Whitefields
- Cryfield

I had similar thinking when I chose mine, and Tocil was my 1st choice and Whitefields my 2nd choice. What are you worried about?
I had similar thinking when I chose mine, and Tocil was my 1st choice and Whitefields my 2nd choice. What are you worried about?

Mainly just the social aspect of university full stop tbh, not exactly the most confidently social person out there. Worried that a smaller enclosed environment like these accomodations might leave me exposed to less people xD
Mainly just the social aspect of university full stop tbh, not exactly the most confidently social person out there. Worried that a smaller enclosed environment like these accomodations might leave me exposed to less people xD

I think the main thing to remember is you don't spend all of your time with your flat, or even as much time as you'd think. You'll meet people on your course, through societies, any clubs you join etc. The description you put when you chose your accommodation will put you with people similar to you. The fact that you're all thrown in together in the same scenario will mean you will get on with people, even if it's not everyone, and I feel like the 'enclosed environment' brings the flat closer together. But trust me, you'll meet just as many people in whatever accommodation you're in.

Quick Reply

Latest