The Student Room Group

COMP3 - JUN 2016 Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sid1234
i said using classes is an example of breaking a problem down into smaller more manageable sub problems which is an example of abstraction by generalisation - any marks ? :/

Yes that's quite a good point... Not really sure what their after in the mark scheme.
Reply 181
I think all in all the exam was okay, some parts were easier than others but definitely a few things i messed up on! Pretty sure I misread the last question and only put ac*. And got -1312 i think for the twos complement conversion question. I also said that the linkedlist acts as abstraction as it is not requires for the program to run instead it is called only on a condition and that it is a small part of a larger problem.
Anyway, we can hope!
If not I'll be resitting haha
I can't seem to open the mark scheme, it says "Invalid Attachment specified", how are you getting round this problem?
I thought it was okay, but we never finished learning everything so there was some stuff I didn't know. The entire topics of Operating Systems, Network security and topology, thin and thick client networks were all entirely learned by our teacher saying "do these questions from your textbook for homework" :mad:

I thought some of the questions were a bit abstract themselves haha, but mostly it wasn't too bad. I'm just disappointed there was no network diagram where you had to label IPs and stuff. Spent so long revising that.
Original post by saqibjr
I have made an unofficial mark scheme with most answers. Please tell me the answers to the questions I missed if you know. This covers>90 of the marks. This is the best I could do given the questions I remember

Can you upload it on to another web service such as Google drive. An example of SaaS...
Reply 185
Hi guys, i ll upload it somewhere else soon. Before I do that, could you guys please tell me whether I am correct about the parity bit being 1 and what the ER diagram was supposed to look like. Thanks
Original post by saqibjr
Hi guys, i ll upload it somewhere else soon. Before I do that, could you guys please tell me whether I am correct about the parity bit being 1 and what the ER diagram was supposed to look like. Thanks

many customers to many pricebands, one price band to many parcels, one customer to many parcels.
Original post by Sid1234
many customers to many pricebands, one price band to many parcels, one customer to many parcels.

Yup, that's what I got...
Original post by computationchive
Yup, that's what I got...

do you remember if there was price in the parcel table?
Original post by Sid1234
do you remember if there was price in the parcel table?

No, price was in the PriceBand table - it was the 'deliveryspeed' that was in the parcel table...
Original post by computationchive
No, price was in the PriceBand table - it was the 'deliveryspeed' that was in the parcel table...

I was sure I saw it there :frown:
Original post by Sid1234
I was sure I saw it there :frown:

Not sure then buddy, can't remember exactly so I could be wrong...
anyone got that ms then?
pdf is apparently invalid :/. can you upload somewhere else please? cheers
Reply 194
guys sorry I took so long, i've been busy revising C4. Have it here.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8y3j-jjFBDKR3Rkck5ON1N5VWM

Can someone tell me whether the parity bit question was 1 or 0, i can't really remember that

Also, I've only started using TSR could anyone tell me how your rep works/changes?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by saqibjr
guys sorry I took so long, i've been busy revising C4. Have it here.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8y3j-jjFBDKR3Rkck5ON1N5VWM

Can someone tell me whether the parity bit question was 1 or 0, i can't really remember that

Also, I've only started using TSR could anyone tell me how your rep works/changes?

I don't remember exactly but I'm pretty sure it was 1
Reply 196
Original post by thelion786
I don't remember exactly but I'm pretty sure it was 1

kl, thanks
looking at that paper i think 85 ish for an A* there were more questions that will catch people out than last year - the functions private/public, linked list, turing machine algorithm related have all never been seen before
For anyone not sure about SaaS, it's not actually that bad.
It's pretty much just an application/piece of software that is run on a server, and the server is dedicated to providing that 'application as a service' to clients who connect (instead of wide range of applications) - which is why it can be considered a client/server model.
The only major differences are, that clients will probably connect through a well known and familiar method such as a web browser (where as thin clients, will connect over the network to the server in the OS background). In addition SaaS may potential require users to subscribe/pay, can do upgrades to the software for all users (on the server as it is not downloaded to each client/workstation). The software is also more secure on the server (less likely to be cracked/exploited). SaaS can usually be accessed from multiple platforms (e.g phone and laptop), where as thin clients are generally only workstations (such as PCs/Laptops).
Guys I know its only 1 mark but for the question about what the Turing machine did, couldn't you have said it subtracts 1 in binary from the original number? It does reflect the number as well but originally it was 2 in denary and ended up as 1 in denary so both are correct? Will they allow more than 1 answer from the mark scheme?

Quick Reply