The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

Changing courses before the year starts?

Hey, so I am really happy with Portsmouth as my firm choice. I visited during an open day and absolutely fell in love with the city and university, so much so, that I couldn't wait to start there.

The only problem I have is my course choice. I spent a long time researching courses at different universities, and thinking about which one would suit me and have the best prospects. I was still rather unsure when the time to apply rolled around and I confided in my teachers about my options and they gave me advice which led to me making my final decision. One that I was happy with at the time.

The more time I spend dwelling on it, the more unsure I am on my choice. The course I applied for isn't widely heard of, and isn't held in much esteem. Not only that, but I've spoken to people who have done the same course I've applied for and the majority of them find it hard to get any decent job within that field, and the ones who do have jobs, are jobs that I wouldn't enjoy doing. I know this doesn't mean this is how I will end up, but it's something that discourages me about the future.

I'm also aware that I shouldn't let this play a big factor on my choice, but I can't help but question it. I want good prospects, and I also want to do a course I enjoy. While I would enjoy the course I applied for, I feel that my job outlook towards the end will be weak and leave me feeling unconfident. There are courses I've been researching that I feel I would really enjoy doing that are also seen as more rigorous and highly esteemed, and I feel like that would give me a better job outlook.

I didn't intend to write that much, but I guess it gives you a good insight into my situation. The main reason I wrote this was to ask:

How likely is it to be able to change course, after applying and confirming the uni as your firm choice? The courses would still be within the same area, but potentially focusing on widely different things. Would I need to do another PS, or just explain my situation?

My teachers have informed me about things such as UCAS Adjustment, and I still need to do research on it, but would it be possible to apply to another course within the same uni? Or is it much simpler to just ask them before results day?

Thanks for reading, and I hope someone can provide me with advice.

*I didn't include the course I applied for, just because I would prefer to keep that to myself for now.
Hello Lyizn, Christine here from the Information Centre at the University of Portsmouth. I would advise you to contact the Admissions team and ask them about changing the course you have applied for, It may be possible for them to change your offer depending on how similar the entry requirements are for the 2 courses. You can email them on [email protected] or call 02392 845566. Good luck and see you in September.
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Reply 2
Original post by UoP InfoCentre
Hello Lyizn, Christine here from the Information Centre at the University of Portsmouth. I would advise you to contact the Admissions team and ask them about changing the course you have applied for, It may be possible for them to change your offer depending on how similar the entry requirements are for the 2 courses. You can email them on [email protected] or call 02392 845566. Good luck and see you in September.

Hi Christine, I will do that as soon as possible to enquire about it then. Thank you so much for the reply, I really appreciate it.
Hey!

I recently went through a similar thing - in the end, I completely changed my mind on the course I wanted to do. I just emailed Portsmouth, explained my situation and asked if there were any spaces still available on the course I wanted to apply for. They emailed back pretty quickly, we had a brief chat, I submitted and portfolio and wallah, it's now my firm choice.
The admissions team were great and really nice (so it wasn't stressful at all) so I'm sure they would be able to sort something out for you.
I didn't know if you were still unsure about this, or had contacted anyone yet, but I hope this was helpful!

- L
Reply 4
Original post by Lolly2797
Hey!

I recently went through a similar thing - in the end, I completely changed my mind on the course I wanted to do. I just emailed Portsmouth, explained my situation and asked if there were any spaces still available on the course I wanted to apply for. They emailed back pretty quickly, we had a brief chat, I submitted and portfolio and wallah, it's now my firm choice.
The admissions team were great and really nice (so it wasn't stressful at all) so I'm sure they would be able to sort something out for you.
I didn't know if you were still unsure about this, or had contacted anyone yet, but I hope this was helpful!

- L

I'm glad to hear you were able to change course. I'm happy the admissions team were able to help you with this, and pretty effectively by the sounds of it. I did end up emailing the admissions centre at Portsmouth, I enquired about changing course and informed them of my situation. They took a few days to get back to me, but eventually emailed back telling me it was possible to change if I wanted to, and I should email them letting them know how I wish to proceed.

I emailed them saying I would like to confirm the change course, but haven't heard anything back yet. That was a few days ago. Hopefully I get a reply today informing me that my course has been changed or giving me more information on how to go about it.

How fast would you say they replied to you?

Thanks for the reply by the way :smile:
Original post by Lyizn
I'm glad to hear you were able to change course. I'm happy the admissions team were able to help you with this, and pretty effectively by the sounds of it. I did end up emailing the admissions centre at Portsmouth, I enquired about changing course and informed them of my situation. They took a few days to get back to me, but eventually emailed back telling me it was possible to change if I wanted to, and I should email them letting them know how I wish to proceed.

I emailed them saying I would like to confirm the change course, but haven't heard anything back yet. That was a few days ago. Hopefully I get a reply today informing me that my course has been changed or giving me more information on how to go about it.

How fast would you say they replied to you?

Thanks for the reply by the way :smile:

No problem. :smile: And yes, the whole situation and admissions team were great on my end.

Initially, within a few hours - but after I sent in my portfolio I'd say about three or four days?

That said, during the process, I got an email saying the team would have made a decision within 10-14 working days (so don't worry if you don't hear back soon!). I'm assuming it depends on the course you applied for, how many spaces they have left and what they're looking for - mine is an arts based course so if you were doing something more ''academic'' I'm afraid my experience probably won't be too helpful.

Good luck and I hope you hear back soon! ^.^
Let me know how it goes?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Lolly2797
No problem. :smile: And yes, the whole situation and admissions team were great on my end.

Initially, within a few hours - but after I sent in my portfolio I'd say about three or four days?

That said, during the process, I got an email saying the team would have made a decision within 10-14 working days (so don't worry if you don't hear back soon!). I'm assuming it depends on the course you applied for, how many spaces they have left and what they're looking for - mine is an arts based course so if you were doing something more ''academic'' I'm afraid my experience probably won't be too helpful.

Good luck and I hope you hear back soon! ^.^
Let me know how it goes?

I was thinking maybe the reason they took a few days to email back at first, was because I didn't email the general admissions centre, but instead I sent one to the admissions centre of the department the course is listed under. So maybe if I emailed the general admissions centre, it would have been a bit faster.

They emailed me saying that if I wish to confirm the change of course, then they would be able to change it now. Due to it not being an art course (like yours is), they don't really require anything other than the grades I will get in August. Also the original course I applied for is very similar to the one I'm trying to change to (similar modules, entry requirements, teaching methods etc.), so hopefully it should be pretty straightforward to change.

I'll let you know if I hear back, for sure. Do you think I should email back if I don't hear anything by next week, or should I wait a bit longer?

Thanks again :smile:
Original post by Lyizn
I was thinking maybe the reason they took a few days to email back at first, was because I didn't email the general admissions centre, but instead I sent one to the admissions centre of the department the course is listed under. So maybe if I emailed the general admissions centre, it would have been a bit faster.

They emailed me saying that if I wish to confirm the change of course, then they would be able to change it now. Due to it not being an art course (like yours is), they don't really require anything other than the grades I will get in August. Also the original course I applied for is very similar to the one I'm trying to change to (similar modules, entry requirements, teaching methods etc.), so hopefully it should be pretty straightforward to change.

I'll let you know if I hear back, for sure. Do you think I should email back if I don't hear anything by next week, or should I wait a bit longer?

Thanks again :smile:

Hmm, perhaps it would have been - but what do we know?

Ooh, that's pretty handy then!

Personally, I would email back after it's been two weeks since you received the email (I think fourteen/10 working days is a suitable amount of time to wait) - just to double check and ensure everything is being sorted (which I'm sure it is).

:smile: Not a problem, I'm glad I could be of assistance. *Tips invisible hat*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending