The Student Room Group

Can I receive a higher maintenence loan halfway through my course if I move out?

I am studying medicine and I plan to live at home for the 1st year if I get a place at UCL or BSMS. However, if I move in with uni friends in the 2nd or 3rd year, will I be able to get a higher maintenence loan half way through the course?
Yes

You reapply for loans every year. If your living situation changes then your loan changes too.

Moving out means you get more maintenance loan but it will still be based on your parents household income assessment
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Yes

You reapply for loans every year. If your living situation changes then your loan changes too.

Moving out means you get more maintenance loan but it will still be based on your parents household income assessment

Oh ok thanks! When do we reapply? Because I would assume I would have had to move in by the time I do the form, for example in the summer of that year?
Original post by UZIman123
Oh ok thanks! When do we reapply? Because I would assume I would have had to move in by the time I do the form, for example in the summer of that year?

Applications run from march-May before the start of your first year (to be guaranteed on time payment) and march-june before the start of your second and third years.

But you can make changes after you apply each year. You need to apply early to give SFE time to check you’re eligible and to calculate your household income, changes to course or living arrangements after that are pretty straightforward.

You can even change where you’re living in each term (that’s part of the application form itself).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending