The Student Room Group

You get to start L6 from the beginning again. What do you do differently?

I'm curious as to what people here would do differently if they could start L6 and all their A-level courses again.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
110% I'd not choose Physics. It made sixth form harder than it could've/should've been. I wish I had known that as long as you have one or two key subjects, Unis don't care THAT much how you get the other grades (obviously assuming it's not something like general studies). Another subject could have made my life easier with no academic detriment in the long term. :/
Pick History instead of Geography, I would've been far better at that.
Reply 3
Original post by willgyel
110% I'd not choose Physics. It made sixth form harder than it could've/should've been. I wish I had known that as long as you have one or two key subjects, Unis don't care THAT much how you get the other grades (obviously assuming it's not something like general studies). Another subject could have made my life easier with no academic detriment in the long term. :/

I was very close to doing Physics haha. I'm doing Further Maths next year though, so that might be a challenge... :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by rebelllefleur
Pick History instead of Geography, I would've been far better at that.

I haven't done History or Geography since Year 9 (although I miss History - I just had too many subjects and too few slots at GCSE...) I hear the case studies get brutal at A2!
Reply 5
Original post by petrus123
I hear the case studies get brutal at A2!
Yeah the Geography case studies really pile up; I think I had about 40 by the end. Although I did really enjoy A2 geog, especially the physical geography (I love that weather and climate ****). Unlike most of the previous geog you've probably done at GCSE and AS it's not just straight recall of knowledge, but more dicussion.
Reply 6
Yeah the Geography case studies really pile up; I think I had about 40 by the end. Although I did really enjoy A2 geog, especially the physical geography (I love that weather and climate ****). Unlike most of the previous geog you've probably done at GCSE and AS it's not just straight recall of knowledge, but more dicussion.

I haven't done AS and I didn't even do GCSE, but I heard friends say it gets tough at A2!
Reply 7
I'm doing Further Maths next year though, so that might be a challenge... :smile:

Good luck, I'm sure it will be fine. I enjoyed Maths a lot, and tbh I'm kinda sad that I won't be learning any more Maths after sixth form.
Reply 8
I haven't done AS and I didn't even do GCSE, but I heard friends say it gets tough at A2!

haha it's definitely a shock at first, but you get used to it. You certainly get quite good at making up facts on the spot :biggrin:
Reply 9
Good luck, I'm sure it will be fine. I enjoyed Maths a lot, and tbh I'm kinda sad that I won't be learning any more Maths after sixth form.

Thanks - what are you doing at uni (if you're going)?
Reply 10
Well nothing tbh, considering the outcome..although maybe I could have tried to drop Welsh Bacc earlier and get on Further Maths earlier
Reply 11
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Well nothing tbh, considering the outcome..although maybe I could have tried to drop Welsh Bacc earlier and get on Further Maths earlier

Any tips for getting 4A* :smile: - What did you do to get such good grades?
Thanks - what are you doing at uni (if you're going)?

I'm doing Computer Science, so it's not like I'm completely moving away from maths haha
Reply 13
I'm doing Computer Science, so it's not like I'm completely moving away from maths haha

From what I've heard, CS is really mathematical, so I doubt you'll miss it too much :smile:
Looking back I wouldn't do much differently but I would've actually revised for my AS Lang exam so I didn't have to retake it and I should've done further maths A2 as well but overall when looking at my A2 year I couldn't have done any more revision cause I was working pretty much non stop
Reply 15
Any tips for getting 4A* :smile: - What did you do to get such good grades?

Maths and Further Maths it was all about constant work and past papers to be honest. I was just constantly doing them, especially in the earlier parts of the year, and did all the papers for every module multiple times. Hence high UMS in those. In the other two subjects, I didn't work quite as hard, but I made sure I understood exactly what was required of me by looking at the syllabuses and mark schemes and, again, past papers (though not so much in English). In English doing practice essays throughout the year, making detailed notes and memorising loads of quotes saw me through; in Physics just working from the textbook and doing questions, and also spending a lot of time thinking on the concepts to try to understand them fully as they were quite challenging.

That's why you apply for a maths degree so you get another 3 years of it - Woooo
Do IB.
Reply 18
Original post by fefssdf
Looking back I wouldn't do much differently but I would've actually revised for my AS Lang exam so I didn't have to retake it and I should've done further maths A2 as well but overall when looking at my A2 year I couldn't have done any more revision cause I was working pretty much non stop

Wow, it wounds like you worked really hard.

Thankfully, I won't have to take any external exams next year (in L6) unless I do 3 Maths AS modules early (doing FM but my school uses a linear system)!
From what I've heard, CS is really mathematical, so I doubt you'll miss it too much :smile:

It generally varies from course to course, but generally yeah. I really enjoy the more theoretical side of CS a lot more than most applicants. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest