The Student Room Group

Black lives matter protest in London

Scroll to see replies

If I had said gay pride is silly and it shouldn't be celebrated in the city, I would be deemed as homophobic
Original post by Blue_Mason
If I had said gay pride is silly and it shouldn't be celebrated in the city, I would be deemed as homophobic

That is true but I don't think there's ever been a lot of people of African descent being shot or killed by police in this country.
Original post by Crazycatguy
That is true but I don't think there's ever been a lot of people of African descent being shot or killed by police in this country.

The thing is black community and the met police have not had the best relationship.

The met has come a long way from its corrupt and unlawful days, but there is still room for improvement.

If we were to reduce stabbings and community issues, then the black community and the police need to communicate with each other, and to come up with solutions.

People are marching for different reasons and some being personal, and if they are peacefully protesting then you should not ignorantly dismiss their message, but yet defend another minority the privilege to protest without question.

The lgbt can protest against the treatment of gay or trans people across the globe but you wouldn't get the same responses, because of race is not at the forefront.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by James David
A few cops died, no big deal

Not sure if serious.
Original post by PrincessZara
You know how people judge the entire religion of Islam based on the actions of a very small percentage of people belonging to that group? It's the same for police. A few bad cops make all cops look evil. Unless the majority of all the good cops come out and denounce these wrong doers, the negative outlook on police will always be present

Well as far as a religion goes all it takes is a few groups to bring it in to disrepute, I admit I am not the biggest fan of Islam as a religion. Especially in its 7th century barbaric form, a lot of people claim its a religion of peace which i strongly disagree with, on merit it is not a religion of peace it is a religion of slaying people in the name of Allah, obviously not all of them are like that. In the terms of the police, it is how they are trained in America- they are trained if in doubt pull the trigger. Black people being shot in the media is more common because black people commit a higher volume of crimes. If you look at the table i have posted below it concludes non whites are more likely to be in Jail in the USA.

This table was completed by the Bureau of Justice Statistics.

Lets be honest though where the problem lies in America is how easy it is to get firearms, I haven't done my homework on it but i believe if you have a clean criminal history you can purchase a firearm from a shop, this is majorly flawed because I with a clean criminal record could purchase a gun for someone and sell it on the black market to someone who wanted it who has committed crimes in the past. Think about it as an officer in America its a shoot to kill policy, shoot before you get shot, so thats why BLM doesn't really mean much to me- if it was a white bloke who was shot unlawfully the leftists will not be crying or whinging about it.

As for the Blacks in London, One can only assume it is a protest in Solidarity- we have the equality act of 2010, a very boring piece of legislation, if you want to google it i will leave it up to you but race is more than covered in this piece of legislation, the reason England is not as bad as America at the moment is because England are more Socially left wing than America and we do not have guns. Our people are more tolerant of immigrants, but it all unfortunately follows the same pattern Also in the United Kingdom see the link below, before anyone says its fake i have left the site on showing where you can view it for yourself, It concludes that Blacks 3 times more likely to be convicts then there white counterparts

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/480250/bulletin.pdf

To help you out it is on page 8 as it is a ridiculously large report
Reply 125
Man said Obama ain't said anything about gun laws????? Lol wow where has he been, under a rock?? Obama takes every opportunity he can get to talk about gun laws

But so long as it remains a peaceful protest of showing our support for the African-Americans in getting justice then I think it's great, the moment it turns on the focus of the UK or the UK police or there is any sense of violence and hate then i think the movement has crossed the line and missed its point.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by cherryred90s
Source?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_killings_by_law_enforcement_officers_in_the_United_Kingdom

I know it is a wiki link but it lists the killings.
Original post by angelaappah
White lives have always mattered. Black lives do not, which is the whole point of the BLM movement. None of the white men murdered in the uk by police have been killed because they were white. The black men in america killed by police are killed because they are black.

No they aren't prove that they are.
Original post by PrincessZara
"All Lives Matter" is like I go to the Doctor for a broken arm and he says "All Bones Matter" ok but right now lets take care of this broken one

Fishing something of twitter doesn't make you or your post intellectual chin lady.
Original post by Playmaker#10
Fishing something of twitter doesn't make you or your post intellectual chin lady.

Doesn't matter where she got it from, it's very true
Original post by cherryred90s
Doesn't matter where she got it from, it's very true

I agree that Black Lives do matter, but so do the lives of the police, and the lives of all the other dead white people at the hands of police brutality, not just black people suffer from this.
Reply 131
Original post by joecphillips
No they aren't prove that they are.

I think the person makes a good point and also the UK is incomparable with the USA, when a police opens fire in the UK they're held under account and if they shoot someone they're investigated to make sure it was fully lawful, when a person is killed by the police in our country they're fully investigated and can be held accountable to parliamentary committees but also in this country we've made it clear that police officers will still be subject to the law which you just don't see in America.

They're often acquitted or the police investigations are biased or they're not even investigated. There's been so many cases where a black person minding their own business has been shot and killed by police despite posing no threats while a white person that's armed can murder 10 people but the police don't shoot him 4 times and go through the extreme hassle to keep him alive, you can see why they're angered by this issue, we're talking about a law enforcement agency that shoots kids without even being in a life threatening situation, in the uk we'd wait for the kid to open fire before even pointing a gun at him. Now that isn't the worst part, the worst part is despite the blatant murders of these innocent black people, the courts and police stand by the officer and he doesn't get sentenced to anything.
Original post by zayn008
I think the person makes a good point and also the UK is incomparable with the USA, when a police opens fire in the UK they're held under account and if they shoot someone they're investigated to make sure it was fully lawful, when a person is killed by the police in our country they're fully investigated and can be held accountable to parliamentary committees but also in this country we've made it clear that police officers will still be subject to the law which you just don't see in America.

They're often acquitted or the police investigations are biased or they're not even investigated. There's been so many cases where a black person minding their own business has been shot and killed by police despite posing no threats while a white person that's armed can murder 10 people but the police don't shoot him 4 times and go through the extreme hassle to keep him alive, you can see why they're angered by this issue, we're talking about a law enforcement agency that shoots kids without even being in a life threatening situation, in the uk we'd wait for the kid to open fire before even pointing a gun at him. Now that isn't the worst part, the worst part is despite the blatant murders of these innocent black people, the courts and police stand by the officer and he doesn't get sentenced to anything.

Name One, just one
Original post by zayn008

Except the evidence of what actually happened if both of the latest shootings is unclear if sterling was reaching for what they believe was a weapon and looking back I can see why they shot and https://theconservativetreehouse.com/2016/07/08/the-curious-case-of-philando-castile-falcon-heights-mn-police-shooting/
Adds an interesting possibility to philando castiles shooting and do also consider that the only evidence is after the event by the victims girlfriends words.

Are you sure it doesn't happen to white people or is it that you just don't here the news reporting it when the victims is white?
Blacks' penises matter too. So huge!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 135
Name One, just one

Bettie Jones, I was hoping you'd ask for more than one
Original post by zayn008
Bettie Jones, I was hoping you'd ask for more than one

She was minding her own business?

A police force was despatched at her house because there was a 911 call that someone was threatening another person's life.

http://heavy.com/news/2015/12/bettie-jones-chicago-police-shooting-shot-dead-quintonio-legrier-killed-death-photos-facebook-family-unarmed-mother-video-officers-name/

She was accidentally killed, so you can't blame that on race
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 137
Original post by joecphillips
Except the evidence of what actually happened if both of the latest shootings is unclear if sterling was reaching for what they believe was a weapon and looking back I can see why they shot and https://theconservativetreehouse.com/2016/07/08/the-curious-case-of-philando-castile-falcon-heights-mn-police-shooting/
Adds an interesting possibility to philando castiles shooting and do also consider that the only evidence is after the event by the victims girlfriends words.

Are you sure it doesn't happen to white people or is it that you just don't here the news reporting it when the victims is white?

You're right, the facts about the recent shootings haven't been fully confirmed but did you not watch the video, FOUR SHOTS?? Hell a taser would've been enough. Police in america get guns pointed at them by white people and all they do is pull out their guns and ask them to put their gun down also did you see the way they treated the girlfriend, no sympathy to the fact her boyfriend just DIED in front of her eyes instead she's incriminated
Reply 138
She was minding her own business?

A police force was despatched at her house because there was a 911 call that she was threatening another person's life.

http://heavy.com/news/2015/12/bettie-jones-chicago-police-shooting-shot-dead-quintonio-legrier-killed-death-photos-facebook-family-unarmed-mother-video-officers-name/

So much for her minding her own business.

Only thing is, the police call wasn't because of her. It was because of her son, I purposely chose her to see your response and the fact you've denied her innocence just shows you're biased becusse even the Chicago police said it was an accident. You just played yourself.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by zayn008
Only thing is, the police call wasn't because of her. It was because of her son, I purposely chose her to see your response and the fact you've denied her innocence just shows you're biased becusse even the Chicago police said it was an accident.

Yeah it was an accident, for which the police department was held responsible for but here's a black officer killing an unarmed 6 year old boy with autism, without any reasonable media outrage or a white lives matter protest, you know why?

http://downtrend.com/71superb/black-cop-shoots-and-kills-6-year-old-white-boy-with-autism

Because they know that this problem happens to everyone and not just black people

Quick Reply

Latest