The Student Room Group

Medicine 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 400
hello all.
I find myself in a tricky situation. I have a conditional offer for 2nd year entry for physiology at Edinburgh. However my long-term aim is to study medicine. I am a Scottish Student and was wonder if you guys have any advice regarding whether I should apply to medicine again and take a gap year or take up my conditional offer.
My stats are:
3 weeks of work experience (including 1 week in Thailand)
National 5; 7As in Biology, Chemistry, Accounting, Mathematics, Modern Studies, Geography and German and a B in English.
Higher; 4As in Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology and Geography and a B in Modern Studies.
Likely to get in my sixth year exams; 2As in Advanced Higher Chemistry and Higher Psychology and a B in Advanced Higher Biology.
UKCAT; 720 avg and Band 1 in SJT
Original post by PND98
hello all.
I find myself in a tricky situation. I have a conditional offer for 2nd year entry for physiology at Edinburgh. However my long-term aim is to study medicine. I am a Scottish Student and was wonder if you guys have any advice regarding whether I should apply to medicine again and take a gap year or take up my conditional offer.
My stats are:
National 5; 7As in Biology, Chemistry, Accounting, Mathematics, Modern Studies, Geography and German and a B in English.
Higher; 4As in Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology and Geography and a B in Modern Studies.
Likely to get in my sixth year exams; 2As in Advanced Higher Chemistry and Higher Psychology and a B in Advanced Higher Biology.

If medicine is what you want to do, take a gap year. There's nothing worse than studying a course for a few years that your heart's not set on. Your stats are pretty decent, particularly your UKCAT score (which should make up for your Bs). You'd have a really good chance at all of the Scottish Universities bar Glasgow. 😊
Reply 402
Original post by madmed16
If medicine is what you want to do, take a gap year. There's nothing worse than studying a course for a few years that your heart's not set on. Your stats are pretty decent, particularly your UKCAT score (which should make up for your Bs). You'd have a really good chance at all of the Scottish Universities bar Glasgow. 😊

Okay. Thanks for your advice :smile:
Original post by Dr Cobbold
As you may or may not know for this years UKCAT they are getting rid of Descision analysis and trailing a new subtest called Descision making. Apparently this new subtest won't be shown to universities and contribute to final score.

Do you guys feel that there is catch and they will actually send it to univeristies?

Since it won't contribute to the overall score is there any point concentrating and putting effort into learning and on the exam day where valuable time on test day can be used elsewhere?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are urged to do as well as you can on the test, because the test organisers want to gauge the results this year for research... However, I'm focusing on the other 4 sections, since DM won't count this year. If UKCAT says it doesn't count, it shouldn't, because if they do send the scores to our unis, they will have misled us, and that's not legal. (At least, I don't think so)
Original post by PND98
hello all.
My stats are:

I suppose you could try asking Edinburgh if you could defer entry?
Original post by Science_Girl
I suppose you could try asking Edinburgh if you could defer entry?

What's a defer entry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Just_a_mum
Hello.

Just wondering if anyone has been to a Bristol open day for 2017 entry. If so, did you attend the medicine admissions talk?

Their selection process used to be based on 20% academics and 80% Personal Statement. Obviously it is changing now as they are part of the UKCAT consortium and AS levels are not being taken by everyone..

The 2017 admissions statement still isn't published and may not be available until the end of this month (I've just phoned medical admissions team). I'm just wondering what prospective students have been told at open days so far about how they are going to select students for interview eg weighting on academics, how they are using the UKCAT score etc.

(I will be posting this question elsewhere, so apologies if you see it more than once)

Thank you

70% personal statement
12% A levels
8% GCSE
10% UKCAT

Posted from TSR Mobile
70% personal statement
12% A levels
8% GCSE
10% UKCAT

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you. Would you have any more information about the 12% for A levels? Presuming this will cover predicted A levels? Are there points depending on the prediction? eg more for an A* than an A?
Thank you. Would you have any more information about the 12% for A levels? Presuming this will cover predicted A levels? Are there points depending on the prediction? eg more for an A* than an A?

There'd definitely be more points for an A*
I'd assume something along the lines of: A*=3, A=2, B=1
I think I remember reading a post of yours about getting a proper loan to fund the degree as you were a nurse? I might be completely wrong, it's just I remembered your username, where did you end up getting the loan from if you don't mind me asking?

I'm basically looking to apply to undergrad entry as well as grad.. If you've found any decent companies it would be great to know!
I've just read your recent posts, I'm definitely in the wrong 🙈

I am not sure about that you would have to ask the medical school admissions team. I just got told about the weightings

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rosser1994
I've just read your recent posts, I'm definitely in the wrong 🙈

No problem. Much as I should have considered applying medicine all those years ago (hindsight is a great thing), I chose pharmacy :redface:
I am on this thread as a parent - just was interested in Bristol's application process. My daughter is the one applying this time round (just finishing year 12), and has done her research etc but decided not to look at Bristol - however I was just curious as it is a great university.
As you may or may not know for this years UKCAT they are getting rid of Descision analysis and trailing a new subtest called Descision making. Apparently this new subtest won't be shown to universities and contribute to final score.

Do you guys feel that there is catch and they will actually send it to univeristies?

Since it won't contribute to the overall score is there any point concentrating and putting effort into learning and on the exam day where valuable time on test day can be used elsewhere?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Dr Cobbold

I think you have asked a really good question here and echoed the thoughts of many people who are sitting the UKCAT this year.

In answer to your first point, there isn't a catch. The new Decisions Making section is being piloted this year in place of the old Decision Analysis section and as you correctly say, your score for this section won't count towards your overall score or be shown to universities.

This is what they say on the official UKCAT website: 'You are required to take this subtest as part of the UKCAT. However your performance in this subtest will not contribute to your final score, will not be communicated to your chosen medical and dental schools and will not be taken into consideration by universities during their admission processes.'

With this in mind, it is completely understandable that you would feel that your time would be better spent focusing on the other sections which do count. What I would say about this is that in any exam environment it is important to be focused from start to finish. Therefore it is likely to benefit you more in terms of your focus throughout the test to treat this section as you would the others, doing the best you can in the time you have.

The other thing to consider is that in the unlikely event that you should have to resit the UCKAT next year, the score for this section will count, so you would be at an advantage if you have prepared for it this year.

Obviously your preparation is likely to be weighted towards the sections that you know count but I think it is worthwhile not discounting the new DM section completely.

I hope that is of some use to you. Do give me a shout if there is anything else I can help with.

UniAdmissions
Hello there,

I did not do GCSE, I did an examination called CXC (Caribbean Examination Council). I am currently starting my IGCE A Levels this September. I'm going to be doing Biology, Chemistry and Maths through an online school. My CXC grades are probably considered to be on the poor side when compared to the GCSE requirements. We have a number grade scale versus the GCSE letter grade scale. We do not have A* at all so I do not know exactly how to compare them. Does anyone have international GCSE equivalents and do medical schools consider them along with your GCE A Levels?
Original post by medic997
Hello there,

I did not do GCSE, I did an examination called CXC (Caribbean Examination Council). I am currently starting my IGCE A Levels this September. I'm going to be doing Biology, Chemistry and Maths through an online school. My CXC grades are probably considered to be on the poor side when compared to the GCSE requirements. We have a number grade scale versus the GCSE letter grade scale. We do not have A* at all so I do not know exactly how to compare them. Does anyone have international GCSE equivalents and do medical schools consider them along with your GCE A Levels?

It would be best to e-mail medical schools directly.
Original post by Gogregg
It would be best to e-mail medical schools directly.

I did that xD. I just thought I should ask on here to see if I can get an quicker answer. But thanks for the heads up :smile:
Has anyone done their UKCAT yet? I'm booked in for the 22nd August.. 😬😬 I've got six days before to go nuts on practice

Best of luck to those who are sitting it soon!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Christina1999H
Has anyone done their UKCAT yet? I'm booked in for the 22nd August.. 😬😬 I've got six days before to go nuts on practice

Best of luck to those who are sitting it soon!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mine is on Wednesday, I don't feel anywhere near prepared enough :afraid:
Original post by Gogregg
Mine is on Wednesday, I don't feel anywhere near prepared enough :afraid:

Ahh scary! Good luck!! I'm using medify at the moment but I just have no idea how I'm doing..I feel like UKCAT is one of those things where you can never feel prepared 🙈

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Christina1999H
Ahh scary! Good luck!! I'm using medify at the moment but I just have no idea how I'm doing..I feel like UKCAT is one of those things where you can never feel prepared 🙈

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's just horrible...

I feel somewhat comfortable with timing now, it's just a matter of actually getting the answers correct :lol:
I have a knack for just not reading stuff properly during VR... Either that or not knowing what a word means and guessing incorrectly :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending