The Student Room Group

HELP

Hi, I've just finished school without applying to university without any idea what I want to do. My GCSE's were fine with 2A*s and 9As, but my AS levels went awfully (BCDD in Drama, Politics, Philosophy and Biology). I dropped Biology as it was the hardest to resist and continued with the bother three which were actually three subjects that I completely hated coming into A2s. I had no motivation last year due to boredom with my subjects did not try at all and was basically going nowhere, I'm yet to get results, but I can't imagine them going well. I have never revised for an exam, only the night before fire to complete boredom with the subjects. However, I feel as though I've had a bit of a 'revelation'. I want to do medicine and I want to do surgery. I know this may seem fickle and stupid, but this is the one thing I've come across with is actually motivating me, I can't quite describe it. My question is, if going back to college to gain A levels in the necessary subjects (Chemistry, Biology etc.) will medical schools look down on me? I know a lot of medical schools don't like resits, but this isn't really resitting rather than rechoosing. I know I took biology at AS, but I didn't have any intention of doing anything with it then, despite it actually being the one subject I enjoyed. Will I still be able to go to good medical schools as a mature student (probably starting age 21) with reformed A levels, or is this not an option?
Original post by TheLeon1
Hi, I've just finished school without applying to university without any idea what I want to do. My GCSE's were fine with 2A*s and 9As, but my AS levels went awfully (BCDD in Drama, Politics, Philosophy and Biology). I dropped Biology as it was the hardest to resist and continued with the bother three which were actually three subjects that I completely hated coming into A2s. I had no motivation last year due to boredom with my subjects did not try at all and was basically going nowhere, I'm yet to get results, but I can't imagine them going well. I have never revised for an exam, only the night before fire to complete boredom with the subjects. However, I feel as though I've had a bit of a 'revelation'. I want to do medicine and I want to do surgery. I know this may seem fickle and stupid, but this is the one thing I've come across with is actually motivating me, I can't quite describe it. My question is, if going back to college to gain A levels in the necessary subjects (Chemistry, Biology etc.) will medical schools look down on me? I know a lot of medical schools don't like resits, but this isn't really resitting rather than rechoosing. I know I took biology at AS, but I didn't have any intention of doing anything with it then, despite it actually being the one subject I enjoyed. Will I still be able to go to good medical schools as a mature student (probably starting age 21) with reformed A levels, or is this not an option?

Unfortunately the odds are kind of stacked against you with this, but with a lot of research you may find a way to get your foot in the door, even if this means doing foundation medicine or doing graduate entry.

Your D in biology will be noted when you apply to medicine, and it will most likely be looked down upon.

As for "rechoosing" your Alevels, medical schools have a very strong stance on achieving AAA in one sitting in the relevant Alevels, they will most likely direct you to foundation programmes which are for people who have non-traditional subjects for medicine (lacking chem and bio at A2) but often these require AAA in those subjects and access to these programmes is very competative, this is because many people like you also have this revelation.

My best advice is go and email some admissions departments of medical schools and see what they say x
If you can meet Plymouth or Exeter's GAMSAT cut off score for non-direct school leavers then no other academics are looked at.
A-levels need to be sat in two years. If you're sitting entirely new subjects this would be ok, is my understanding.

Biology is a problem. Your ability to get good grades in more rigorous subjects is also a source of doubt.

Contact some med schools.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending