The Student Room Group

Gap Year Abroad

Hi all,

I have decided to defer my entry for one whole year and quite frankly, while I do not regret it, I have not much to do other then work. I've been thinking to myself, perhaps it is a chance to meet new people, do new things. By this, I mean go abroad by myself and experience things for myself. However, doing this as a 'holiday' or even volunteering has significant costs for me to burden. Is there anything students like me (finished A levels, 18) could do to perhaps secure a job which provides all the necessities for someone to live out there for a few months.

While I would like to explore, I'd also like to stay close to home. I'd like to go to France for a few months maybe to perhaps learn the language and maybe even become fluent. I did GCSE french and half my family speak it, so I know just about enough to get me by. My main question, however, is what sources (websites etc) might be able to provide a job in which can aid me in learning the language or meeting new people. Or alternatively, what kind of things could I do to volunteer out there or go over there for a fairly cheap price over the few coming months. I'd like to spend some time out there, but just don't have the money to go out right now.
Original post by Khanthebrit
Hi all,

I have decided to defer my entry for one whole year and quite frankly, while I do not regret it, I have not much to do other then work. I've been thinking to myself, perhaps it is a chance to meet new people, do new things. By this, I mean go abroad by myself and experience things for myself. However, doing this as a 'holiday' or even volunteering has significant costs for me to burden. Is there anything students like me (finished A levels, 18) could do to perhaps secure a job which provides all the necessities for someone to live out there for a few months.

While I would like to explore, I'd also like to stay close to home. I'd like to go to France for a few months maybe to perhaps learn the language and maybe even become fluent. I did GCSE french and half my family speak it, so I know just about enough to get me by. My main question, however, is what sources (websites etc) might be able to provide a job in which can aid me in learning the language or meeting new people. Or alternatively, what kind of things could I do to volunteer out there or go over there for a fairly cheap price over the few coming months. I'd like to spend some time out there, but just don't have the money to go out right now.

Perhaps look into Au Pairing or teaching English?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest