Chemistry: A
Physics: A
ICT: A
Statistics: A
Geography: B
English Lang: C
English Lit: C
French: C

Do I have a shot at medicine? I am planning to apply to Newcastle, Sheffield, Exeter and ?. I have always had a lifelong dream of becoming a doctor, so I don't want to give up. Any tips for UKCAT. I am actually dying considering the fact I might not get a place at a medical school. Any medical school would do.

Having read some of the replies you have already received I would just add that some med schools will consider a re-sit in GCSE English (UEA made my daughter an offer conditional on re-sitting English Language (she had a B) and getting an A). Worth a few emails/phone calls to clarify perhaps...
Original post by Chillipaneerii
Got 6A* 4A at GCSE
Have been predicted 4As in maths Chem bio and Econ I'm not sure whether this is good enough
Considering applying to QMUL , Kings , Sheffield and Southhampton

Volunteer at a care home last 8 months , paediatrics 1 week, gp surgery 1 week

Hey I'm a current offer holder for medicine at qmul.So feel free to ask any questions.
Original post by medstudent1010
Hey I'm a current offer holder for medicine at qmul.So feel free to ask any questions.

Hey well done on the offer!

Do you think a grad applying to Barts with a 2.1 has a chance? Some people on here was saying that you need a 1st to stand a good chance as last year most people with a 2.1 got rejected due to not having a first?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by michrab123
Hey well done on the offer!

Do you think a grad applying to Barts with a 2.1 has a chance? Some people on here was saying that you need a 1st to stand a good chance as last year most people with a 2.1 got rejected due to not having a first?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! And to be completely honest I didn't hear about anyone with a 2.1 getting an interview last year,I remember a particular person with a 2.1 and with a really high ukcat score (800+) and still getting rejected.They may change this year but I'm not sure if I'd take the risk.Hope this has been helpful.
Original post by medstudent1010
Thank you! And to be completely honest I didn't hear about anyone with a 2.1 getting an interview last year,I remember a particular person with a 2.1 and with a really high ukcat score (800+) and still getting rejected.They may change this year but I'm not sure if I'd take the risk.Hope this has been helpful.

Thanks for your response! Was going to apply to Barts for the 4 year and 5 year course but I think ill do that for kings instead as I have a better chance there without a first!

Thanks for your help, hopefully they don't just look at that this year but who knows >.< badly regretting not working harder at uni now haha!

Thanks again :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 545
Hello.
I was wondering if I meet the requirements of any english universities for medicine, so far I havent found any and which universities would be most suitable with my stats. I was thinking definitely St Andrews and Aberdeen but not sure about the other 2.
My stats are:
S4 National 5 / Intermediate 2- 7As in Maths, Accounting, chemistry,biology,geography, german and modern studies and a B in English
S5 Highers- 4As in Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology, Geography and a B in modern studies
S6 Highers and advanced highers- 2As in Advanced Higher Biology and Psychology and a B in Advanced Higher Chemistry.
UKCAT- 710 Avg and Band 1 in SJT.
Lots of voluntary work
4 weeks of work experience at different hospitals.
Qualified first aider.
Any advice would be much appreciated!
Original post by PND98
Hello.
I was wondering if I meet the requirements of any english universities for medicine, so far I havent found any and which universities would be most suitable with my stats. I was thinking definitely St Andrews and Aberdeen but not sure about the other 2.
My stats are:
S4 National 5 / Intermediate 2- 7As in Maths, Accounting, chemistry,biology,geography, german and modern studies and a B in English
S5 Highers- 4As in Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology, Geography and a B in modern studies
S6 Highers and advanced highers- 2As in Advanced Higher Biology and Psychology and a B in Advanced Higher Chemistry.
UKCAT- 710 Avg and Band 1 in SJT.
Lots of voluntary work
4 weeks of work experience at different hospitals.
Qualified first aider.
Any advice would be much appreciated!

Hey there! I'm applying with Scottish qualifications as well so I know a tiny bit about non Scottish medical schools. Have you considered Dundee at all as one of your choices? Also it may not be that relevant but I'm thinking you have a moderate chance of getting an interview from Queens Belfast, so you should check that out. As for English medical schools, the majority want A in AH Chem
Original post by Little_Sh*t
Hey, I got 5As in Maths,Physics, Computing, Chemistry and Biology, still don't know my bands yet tho.

How did your results go?

Wow congratulations! I got 5A's in Human Biology, Chemistry, Maths, English and History. Yeah I don't know mine either, do the universities see your bandings? When is your UKCAT?
Original post by RMack029
Wow congratulations! I got 5A's in Human Biology, Chemistry, Maths, English and History. Yeah I don't know mine either, do the universities see your bandings? When is your UKCAT?

Hey again! As far as I know only Oxbridge care about your bandings, but they'll definitely be helpful in your predicted grades set by your referees , which a lot of universities like Edinburgh uni will put a heavy emphasis on.

Also my UKCAT is on the 20th of September, and I'm currently *****ing it. When's yours, or have you already sat it?
Reply 549
Hey there! I'm applying with Scottish qualifications as well so I know a tiny bit about non Scottish medical schools. Have you considered Dundee at all as one of your choices? Also it may not be that relevant but I'm thinking you have a moderate chance of getting an interview from Queens Belfast, so you should check that out. As for English medical schools, the majority want A in AH Chem

oh yeah forgot about dundee . well that's my third haha. Yeah getting a B in AH chem is such a pain, gonna ask for a remark tho as I was one mark from an A :/
I never considered Queens Belfast, do u know their minimum requirements for scottish students as it doesnt say on their website.
Original post by PND98
oh yeah forgot about dundee . well that's my third haha. Yeah getting a B in AH chem is such a pain, gonna ask for a remark tho as I was one mark from an A :/
I never considered Queens Belfast, do u know their minimum requirements for scottish students as it doesnt say on their website.

http://www.med.qub.ac.uk/docs/AdmissionPolicyMedicine.pdf
Here's a detailed explanation on their admissions policy, it's got Scottish requirements on there
Hey again! As far as I know only Oxbridge care about your bandings, but they'll definitely be helpful in your predicted grades set by your referees , which a lot of universities like Edinburgh uni will put a heavy emphasis on.

Also my UKCAT is on the 20th of September, and I'm currently *****ing it. When's yours, or have you already sat it?

Hey! Bloody great, I'm applying to Univ college, Oxford and I'm pretty sure I only scraped Maths and Chemistry. As for predicted grades, my referee is easily persuaded....

Good luck with the UKCAT! Me too, mine is tommorow lol
Reply 552
http://www.med.qub.ac.uk/docs/AdmissionPolicyMedicine.pdf
Here's a detailed explanation on their admissions policy, it's got Scottish requirements on there

Thanks. I just looked at it and they would of wanted 3 Advanced Highers :/ looks like i only have a real chance of getting into 3 medical schools
Original post by RMack029
Hey! Bloody great, I'm applying to Univ college, Oxford and I'm pretty sure I only scraped Maths and Chemistry. As for predicted grades, my referee is easily persuaded....

Good luck with the UKCAT! Me too, mine is tommorow lol

Haha you're lucky having a referee like that then. Hope you do well tomorrow
Haha you're lucky having a referee like that then. Hope you do well tomorrow

Yeah my school is pretty laid back. Thanks!
Original post by PND98
Thanks. I just looked at it and they would of wanted 3 Advanced Highers :/ looks like i only have a real chance of getting into 3 medical schools

Just out of curiosity why haven't you considered Edinburgh Uni? Yeah sure it's competitive but you meet the entry requirements and you've got great UKCAT stats
Reply 556
Just out of curiosity why haven't you considered Edinburgh Uni? Yeah sure it's competitive but you meet the entry requirements and you've got great UKCAT stats

I have and that will probably be my fourth choice but the chances of getting in wont be that high.
Hi guys, anyone applying for the graduate course? I'm an A&E nurse with about 3 years' experience, with a first class honours degree. Am gonna apply for Warwick, Newcastle & Barts...doing UKCAT next week!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by cemevans1
Hi guys, anyone applying for the graduate course? I'm an A&E nurse with about 3 years' experience, with a first class honours degree. Am gonna apply for Warwick, Newcastle & Barts...doing UKCAT next week!

Good luck 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cemevans1

Hi cemevans1

How are you feeling about your UKCAT?

Let me know if you would like any last minute tips or advice... always happy to help!

UniAdmissions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending