The Student Room Group

Can they take my money from my debit card if I gave them these details?

Hello well basically ****!

*I have given my name, sort code and account number details to my boss because I didnt realise the job is a bit dodgey and too good to be true at the time.

*I have signed a few forms and was told I am self employed and that I could leave at any moment if I wanted to. So today I emailed my boss that I'm no longer interested in the job.

Additional to giving my bank details (just the sort code, my name and account number), I have also provided them with my passport where the boss either took a photo or had a flick through. He also has my address!

*Now I am so worried that they will either take my money or steal my identity basically! *

*After reading some forums on these pyramid schemes I am honestly a bit scared. For more info just google "complete one Newcastle scam" or this link http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3378951

* *Am I safe now that I have left the company? Someone please help!
(edited 7 years ago)
They can request money but they shouldn't as they will get in trouble without your permission. They could buy something online but they will need your password so make an online banking account quick if you already haven't to make yourself feel more at ease...
Reply 2
Original post by Anfanny
They can request money but they shouldn't as they will get in trouble without your permission. They could buy something online but they will need your password so make an online banking account quick if you already haven't to make yourself feel more at ease...

Thank u for your reply!
How can they buy things online if they don't have the long number on my card?
Or can they anyway?

Reply 3
Original post by J-SP
You should be fine.

You can't buy things/withdraw money with just a sort code and account number.

All those details are standard for on-boarding processes.

Sure someone could go to the extreme and create fake documents and try and steal your identity, but I suspect there are easier ways to do it than via these means. Should that happen, you'd be able to reclaim any money lost/credit rating issues anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank your for your response *

I feel better now

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending