The Student Room Group

I have three interviews spread across 3 weeks....

I know the likelihood of me being offered a job from my first interview (since graduating) is very slim, but what happens if I do get offered the job?

I like the sound of the job but it's only part time. The other two jobs are full time and decent money, with my final interview offering the best money.

But at the same time if I get offered the first job and turn it down, and then don't get offered a job from the others, I'll be so full of regret... But conversely if I accept the first job and then don't go to the other interviews I could be missing out on an opportunity to earn a lot lore money and gain more full time experience.

What do people do in these situations? Would it be acceptable to accept the job and still go to the other interviews??

Also I know I'm being extremely presumptuous thinking I'll get the first job, but I do have this "what if" at the back of my mind.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Option 1- There may be a delay before you dins out. Enough timw for you to be interviewed.

Option 2 - If they offer you the job, then find out how long you have to answer and say you are about to hear back from others. They shouldnt be bothered becayse they expect it.

Option 3 - accept and then if you get the other jobs you wnat to take, just resign.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Option 1- There may be a delay before you dins out. Enough timw for you to be interviewed.

Option 2 - If they offer you the job, then find out how long you have to answer and say you are about to hear back from others. They shouldnt be bothered becayse they expect it.

Option 3 - accept and then if you get the other jobs you wnat to take, just resign.

Thanks for your reply :smile:

I hope option 1 is the case!! But if not option 3 is what I'd ideally like to do, but is it bad practice to do that?
If you are offered the first job, you should be able to negotiate the start of your contract before you sign it. If you can't, consider again if the job actually does suit you.
But as with the majority of offers, they are subject to satisfactory references. You must contact your referees and ask if they would like to be put forward, otherwise they will write an unsatisfactory reference that will take your job offer away from you.
Reply 4
Original post by shawn_o1
If you are offered the first job, you should be able to negotiate the start of your contract before you sign it. If you can't, consider again if the job actually does suit you.
But as with the majority of offers, they are subject to satisfactory references. You must contact your referees and ask if they would like to be put forward, otherwise they will write an unsatisfactory reference that will take your job offer away from you.

Thanks for your reply. I don't understand the relevance of the reference part? I've already provided referees for the jobs.
Reply 5
Original post by J-SP
Recruitment processes can be drawn out. Just because you have one interview first, does not mean that it is the first offer you will get (making the assumption you will be successful at all interviews).

Paper work for offers usually takes some time to be drafted and created. By the time it gets sent to you, you have some time to consider it and get back to them. You can informally and verbally accept an offer and state you will wait to see an employment contract - which will buy you some time.

If you do get an offer, you can contact the other organisations you prefer to see if they can bring their process forward. They might not be able to, but there is no harm is asking and saying to them you have another job offer that you need to consider.

You can also ask the first organisation who offers you a job some time to consider the offer. You don't have to make a snap judgement unless they need someone ASAP.

In the worst situation, you could renege on an offer or if you have started the job, just work your notice period. You probably won't be able to work for that organisation again (say you make the wrong decision and hate the job you do accept, it's unlikely you will be able to go back to the other offer and ask to be reconsidered), but that's a risk you will have to take when making a judgement on what is the best thing to do given your personal set of circumstances.

Job seekers have to deal with this type of situation all of the time, as do recruiters. The best talent often get multiple offers or are involved in multiple recruitment processes at the same time, so it is fairly standard for recruiters to be able to deal with this situation the best way they can. For candidates, it's just about using your own common sense and judgement on what to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your reply that was a big help :smile:

I know that for my final interview, they've stated that we'll be told whether we've got the job around mid-September. So it'll be a bit of a wait for that one, and they definitely won't put the interview forward. They're taking on 200 people so I can't see them making a special effort for just me :tongue:

I feel like the worst case scenario you've provided would be the most suitable unfortunately. :unsure: To accept the job and still go ahead with the interviews. Would it be wrong to tell them if I get the job, that I plan on attending the interviews I've already agreed to?

I know I feel like surely this must be a common occurrence. It's not as if we can apply for a job wait to hear back before applying to another :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Twinpeaks
Thanks for your reply. I don't understand the relevance of the reference part? I've already provided referees for the jobs.

It's how most applications work - even though you provide references, they don't call up your referees until they decide to give you an offer, and that is only subject to what the references tell them about you. Not contacting my referees properly was how I had an offer taken away from me.
Reply 7
It's how most applications work - even though you provide references, they don't call up your referees until they decide to give you an offer, and that is only subject to what the references tell them about you. Not contacting my referees properly was how I had an offer taken away from me.

Really!! That was a bit harsh :unsure:

My referees always told me they'd provide me a good reference, but I didn't directly ask them for the jobs?
Really!! That was a bit harsh :unsure:

My referees always told me they'd provide me a good reference, but I didn't directly ask them for the jobs?

Even my parents are telling me it was this lack of common courtesy that caused me to let an offer go so easily. Basically I didn't write to, or call, my referees saying "I got an offer from so and so, I would like to put you forward as a referee for my application" when I had the offer, so they probably thought I was disrespectful, and returned the favour by most likely badmouthing me on reference.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by J-SP
Mid September is about 4 weeks away. That is no time at all when it comes to recruitment processes, especially when there is a bank holiday in-between then.

I think you are completely misjudging how long these things take.

And of course you can apply for another job while waiting back from another..... why wouldn't you be able to do this?

Recruitment processes aren't always long. I had 8 interviews before I got a job offer, of the ones I was unsuccessful for, 2 of them told me the outcome on the day of the interview, 3 within 2 days, one within 5 days and only one did I have to wait about a week for and that was only because I had to bring my interview forward. The one I got the job for they called me the next day.
Reply 10
Original post by J-SP
Yes, it may take a shorter period of time, but the reality is for most candidates/positions it takes weeks not days for the process to be completed. This person doesn't even know if they have the interviews yet or if there are any subsequent stages, they then have to be scheduled in, and then a decision has to be made, and then all the paperwork sorted. It could easily take another 3 months and some "time to hire" processes are known to take over 30 weeks! With it being the summer holidays, these processes are likely to take longer too.

I just think this person is under estimating the timeframes in place. But if I am wrong, then they do have the options I have already listed.
Posted from TSR Mobile

I do know I have the interviews? And I also know there are no subsequent stages??
Reply 11
Even my parents are telling me it was this lack of common courtesy that caused me to let an offer go so easily. Basically I didn't write to, or call, my referees saying "I got an offer from so and so, I would like to put you forward as a referee for my application" when I had the offer, so they probably thought I was disrespectful, and returned the favour by most likely badmouthing me on reference.

But I don't think I've ever known someone to contact a previous employer to check whether it's okay to use them as a reference, I just assumed it was a given. I've never had an issue in the passed with it, it does seem very harsh to me, and your previous employer must have been quite petty to give you a bad reference on that basis alone!

I think I will check with them if I do get offered the job though, just to be on the safe side.
Reply 12
Original post by J-SP
Mid September is about 4 weeks away. That is no time at all when it comes to recruitment processes, especially when there is a bank holiday in-between then.

I think you are completely misjudging how long these things take.

And of course you can apply for another job while waiting back from another..... why wouldn't you be able to do this?

In regards to the bit in bold, I wasn't being serious.....

Maybe. Whenever I've had jobs in the passed, I started work the next week.
I do know I have the interviews? And I also know there are no subsequent stages??

Your comment 'I know I'm being extremely presumptuous thinking I'll get the first interview' most likely lead to the confusion, as it sounds like you don't actually know if you've got an interview or not.
Reply 14
Original post by jelly1000
Your comment 'I know I'm being extremely presumptuous thinking I'll get the first interview' most likely lead to the confusion, as it sounds like you don't actually know if you've got an interview or not.

Oh yeah I didn't notice that thanks, changed it now.

Although I did say in my title I have 3 interviews across 3 weeks :tongue:
Oh yeah I didn't notice that thanks, changed it now.

Although I did say in my title I have 3 interviews across 3 weeks :tongue:

I assumed your title was hypothetical, anyway best of luck OP
Original post by J-SP
Recruitment processes can be drawn out. Just because you have one interview first, does not mean that it is the first offer you will get (making the assumption you will be successful at all interviews).

Paper work for offers usually takes some time to be drafted and created. By the time it gets sent to you, you have some time to consider it and get back to them. You can informally and verbally accept an offer and state you will wait to see an employment contract - which will buy you some time.

If you do get an offer, you can contact the other organisations you prefer to see if they can bring their process forward. They might not be able to, but there is no harm is asking and saying to them you have another job offer that you need to consider.

You can also ask the first organisation who offers you a job some time to consider the offer. You don't have to make a snap judgement unless they need someone ASAP.

In the worst situation, you could renege on an offer or if you have started the job, just work your notice period. You probably won't be able to work for that organisation again (say you make the wrong decision and hate the job you do accept, it's unlikely you will be able to go back to the other offer and ask to be reconsidered), but that's a risk you will have to take when making a judgement on what is the best thing to do given your personal set of circumstances.

Job seekers have to deal with this type of situation all of the time, as do recruiters. The best talent often get multiple offers or are involved in multiple recruitment processes at the same time, so it is fairly standard for recruiters to be able to deal with this situation the best way they can. For candidates, it's just about using your own common sense and judgement on what to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending