The Student Room Group

Bank account & National Insurance number

Hey guys.. How will it take for a EU student to open a bank account in England?Any proposals for a bank? And what about National Insurance number?will it take long??
Original post by Kadopoulos
Hey guys.. How will it take for a EU student to open a bank account in England?Any proposals for a bank? And what about National Insurance number?will it take long??

Try HSBC, they should be able to give you a basic bank account (it's called exactly that) and then after 6 months you go back to them and apply for a standard bank account :smile: Basic bank account is for people who just came into the country and need a bank account asap, BUT you do need documentation to prove your address so it has to be an official college/uni letter or something like that.

As for NIN you have to call them when you're already living in the UK and apply via phone to set up an appointment. It might be difficult because it's always booked so you need to call as soon as you arrive. Good luck!

https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
How much does National Insurance Number takes? you get it the same day of the appointment?
Original post by Kadopoulos
How much does National Insurance Number takes? you get it the same day of the appointment?

Haha, I wish! If the interview is successful you may have to wait a few weeks until they post it to you. :smile:
Reply 4
I have my national insurance number interview on Saturday. What happens if I don't get the number before the first tuition loan payment is due?
Original post by Sofiag
I have my national insurance number interview on Saturday. What happens if I don't get the number before the first tuition loan payment is due?

You shouldn't worry too much, I just had an appointment myself and at the end of the appointment the guy said I'd receive it via post in 4 weeks or so. The guy even said I can work without the NIN as long as I have it 'on the way'.

And does the NIN really affect the loans? I don't think you need one for a loan or do you? As long as you have had the interview and you're just waiting for the NIN it should be fine :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending