The Student Room Group

Resit AS modules or ALL of year 12?

Hey guys,
I went in and picked up some pretty bad results today. I got D's in Economics and History and a C in Maths. I was hoping to do Economics at a Russell Group Uni, but I'm almost sure that they would look too bad on my UCAS application. I spoke to some teachers and they said that if I did year 13 and hit the floor running I may be able to get much better predicted grades. My achieved grades for Econ and Hist won't be affected by the D's because they're the new style ones. My maths teacher recommended I resit 1 module and boost the C up to a B. That would set me up for straight A's if I worked my butt off next year (and whatever happens I'll be working my butt off lol). Even then though, I feel like having those grades on my UCAS, despite any higher future mock results/predicted grades would still nulify my chances of getting into a Russell Group Uni. I spoke to a careers adviser as well and she said that if I got good grades I could go into adjustment next year, to apply for those Unis I'd want to go to. It sounded appealling but it also seemed so insecure; putting all my hopes and hard work in a year down to a short process at the end of it. I'd much rather have an offer lined up and meet its requirements.

So then I thought about repeating year 12. I would be 100% fine with doing that (even though it might mean I'd have to get a job) as long as I knew, after getting the grades that RG Unis wouldn't shut me out for resitting. But almost everyone I spoke to said it would be a bad idea, even with straight A's, as my resit may actually end any chances of going to a top Uni.

So that's my dilema. I've got to make a decision soon I guess, so I appreciate all the advice you guys might be able to give. Extra special shoutouts to the g's at TSR doing amazing work helping people out today. Thanks, even if you won't be able to reply to this post! <3
Original post by SwarmEngine
Hey guys,
I went in and picked up some pretty bad results today. I got D's in Economics and History and a C in Maths. I was hoping to do Economics at a Russell Group Uni, but I'm almost sure that they would look too bad on my UCAS application. I spoke to some teachers and they said that if I did year 13 and hit the floor running I may be able to get much better predicted grades. My achieved grades for Econ and Hist won't be affected by the D's because they're the new style ones. My maths teacher recommended I resit 1 module and boost the C up to a B. That would set me up for straight A's if I worked my butt off next year (and whatever happens I'll be working my butt off lol). Even then though, I feel like having those grades on my UCAS, despite any higher future mock results/predicted grades would still nulify my chances of getting into a Russell Group Uni. I spoke to a careers adviser as well and she said that if I got good grades I could go into adjustment next year, to apply for those Unis I'd want to go to. It sounded appealling but it also seemed so insecure; putting all my hopes and hard work in a year down to a short process at the end of it. I'd much rather have an offer lined up and meet its requirements.

So then I thought about repeating year 12. I would be 100% fine with doing that (even though it might mean I'd have to get a job) as long as I knew, after getting the grades that RG Unis wouldn't shut me out for resitting. But almost everyone I spoke to said it would be a bad idea, even with straight A's, as my resit may actually end any chances of going to a top Uni.

So that's my dilema. I've got to make a decision soon I guess, so I appreciate all the advice you guys might be able to give. Extra special shoutouts to the g's at TSR doing amazing work helping people out today. Thanks, even if you won't be able to reply to this post! <3

Hiya,

Thanks for your lovely message!

I'm going to tag in @The Learn Ranger to help you out with your questions :smile:
Hey guys,

Hi

Pretty tricky situation .. let's try and work it out.

Your teachers' advice sounds pretty good in terms of the best way to improve those results.

You're right - the grades won't look that great in your application but your teachers' faith in you and their improved predicted grades will give you a fighting chance of some offers.

As the careers advisor says - if you don't get the offers you want, you can always get in through adjustment (or maybe even clearing). I know it feels like a risk but going through year 12 again and gambling on doing better in the AS levels is an even bigger risk.

We've just had a look at clearing and some great unis are in there for Economics eg York, Queen Mary's and Southampton. If you're prepared to broaden out into joint degrees or related degrees there's even more.

I hope this helps - that is a lovely message. All of us here at TSR wish you all the best for next year - good luck!
Reply 3
Hey guys,

Heya! I re sat year 12 (ive just finished my second go at year 12) I'm gonna start with the bit thats the most wrong. You can still get in to a Russel group if you re sit year 12, just not possibly oxbridge. im applying to Newcastle this year and everyone there says it doesn't matter, it just shows you as a committed student. Re sitting isn't easy, but neither is attacking it next year and hoping to get A's. I changed subjects when i re sat to ones i knew i would do better in. Its hard when your friends go to uni but you can't but, ive got wayyyyy better results this year than i did last. Its slightly different now because the AS results dont count toward the A2 (for most, not all) so its up to you really to decide if you can fight and win next year or if its worth changing subjects.Good luck! :biggrin:
Please don't resit year 12, I almost made the same mistake. In my first year I did maths, physics, biology and psychology and achieved EDEE (in correct order). I dropped physics and continued with 3 Es, I collected my results yesterday and I achieved A*BD, if i can do that from Es then you can definitely improve a C to at least an A!!!!!! I worked really hard for about a 2 months before the exam and did around 5 resits and was very close to an A in biology. (The D is maths and I did not resit anything from that which is why i got the grade i did, reason: teacher wouldnt let me)
Hey guys,

(edited 7 years ago)
Hey guys,

I resat year 12 BEST DECISION OF MY LIFE. Lets you start fresh get focused.

Quick Reply

Latest