The Student Room Group

Medicine 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 680
Original post by Gogregg
Avoid GCSE heavy universities and the UKCAT heavy universities.

okay thanks so what unis does that leave me? Not a lot surely
Original post by iamDev
okay thanks so what unis does that leave me? Not a lot surely

You don't have much clinical experience, either, so I'd avoid ICL and Bristol, as I know that those two ask for 2 weeks of clinical experience, there may be others, but those are all I can think of off the top of my head.

In terms of BMAT universities, you can definitely apply to BSMS and Lancaster, but I don't know much about Leeds or UCL, so it would be best for you to look at their website. Dependant on your UMS/Raw marks in Maths Biology and Chemistry, you may be able to apply to Cambridge, but I'm not certain.

I think for the UKCAT universities, you can apply to UEA, although they rank on both GCSEs and UKCAT, so it would be a risk. Aberdeen, also, don't have a cut off, but you will be ranked against others again. I think you can apply to Dundee and Liverpool, also. You also have a lot of volunteer work, so your application may be rated highly by Keele, who as far as I can remember, aren't massively bothered by the UKCAT, so you'll be fine there.

Check the websites of these universities to make sure you can apply, and I may have missed some others off, but I hope this helped.
Reply 682
Original post by Gogregg
You don't have much clinical experience, either, so I'd avoid ICL and Bristol, as I know that those two ask for 2 weeks of clinical experience, there may be others, but those are all I can think of off the top of my head.

In terms of BMAT universities, you can definitely apply to BSMS and Lancaster, but I don't know much about Leeds or UCL, so it would be best for you to look at their website. Dependant on your UMS/Raw marks in Maths Biology and Chemistry, you may be able to apply to Cambridge, but I'm not certain.

I think for the UKCAT universities, you can apply to UEA, although they rank on both GCSEs and UKCAT, so it would be a risk. Aberdeen, also, don't have a cut off, but you will be ranked against others again. I think you can apply to Dundee and Liverpool, also. You also have a lot of volunteer work, so your application may be rated highly by Keele, who as far as I can remember, aren't massively bothered by the UKCAT, so you'll be fine there.

Check the websites of these universities to make sure you can apply, and I may have missed some others off, but I hope this helped.

okay thanks, that helps a lot! My UMS for maths was 88,87 and 81. For Bio the raw marks were 106/140, the A being 94. And for chemistry it was 110/140 the A being 108. I dont know the marks for physics as we havent been provided them yet.
Original post by iamDev
okay thanks, that helps a lot! My UMS for maths was 88,87 and 81. For Bio the raw marks were 106/140, the A being 94. And for chemistry it was 110/140 the A being 108. I dont know the marks for physics as we havent been provided them yet.

In that case, it would probably be best to avoid Cambridge, also :smile:
Reply 684
Original post by Gogregg

okay cheers
I did want to apply for medicine, but I think my chances are pretty much ruined by my AS grade in chemistry. I am predicted A*A*AA in every other A-level, but I got a D in AS Chemistry. My UKCAT score is good, I have got good experience, and 6A*s, 5As at GCSE. Is it even worth applying?
Reply 686
Original post by Gogregg

hey um I looked at Bristol and for work experience they state
'Minimum of two weeks in a care environment. Work experience formcompleted and returned at interview.'

Surely this would mean my experience is enough as Ive done that in a care environment? or does care environment mean clinical?
Original post by CLMPeters
I did want to apply for medicine, but I think my chances are pretty much ruined by my AS grade in chemistry. I am predicted A*A*AA in every other A-level, but I got a D in AS Chemistry. My UKCAT score is good, I have got good experience, and 6A*s, 5As at GCSE. Is it even worth applying?

If you're predicted AAA at least, then you'll have a shot. You'll need to avoid med schools that place emphasis on AS levels.
Original post by usycool1
If you're predicted AAA at least, then you'll have a shot. You'll need to avoid med schools that place emphasis on AS levels.

But won't one of those As need to be in Chemistry?
Reply 689
Original post by Lewishier
I was actually thinking of starting a Whatsapp group for 2017 entry medics. Would you guys be interested?

I'm up for this. PM me for my number if this is happening! :smile:
Original post by CLMPeters
But won't one of those As need to be in Chemistry?

At A-Level, yes.*
Original post by iamDev
hey um I looked at Bristol and for work experience they state
'Minimum of two weeks in a care environment. Work experience formcompleted and returned at interview.'

Surely this would mean my experience is enough as Ive done that in a care environment? or does care environment mean clinical?

This is the thing that always confuses me :redface:

Email admissions and see what they say.
2 years on from getting my A-Level results and getting into med school but reading this thread is still giving me anxiety
Hi everyone! I'm really struggling to narrow down all the unis to just four... I need your help 😂 Open days havnt helped, I love them all! I got 10A*/3A and 5As at AS btw
My all time favourite is Cambridge but still undecided on applying. I know I want to apply to Edinburgh if my UKCAT is high enough and I like imperial/UCL. But these are all super competitive and it's probably not wise to apply to them all.

Which medical schools have lower applicant per place ratios and where are you all applying?
Original post by isabella1999
Hi everyone! I'm really struggling to narrow down all the unis to just four... I need your help 😂 Open days havnt helped, I love them all! I got 10A*/3A and 5As at AS btw
My all time favourite is Cambridge but still undecided on applying. I know I want to apply to Edinburgh if my UKCAT is high enough and I like imperial/UCL. But these are all super competitive and it's probably not wise to apply to them all.

Which medical schools have lower applicant per place ratios and where are you all applying?

Based on your GCSE grades and achieved AS grades you would have a strong chance at an interview at QUB, Cardiff, birmingham. If your UKCAT is around 630+ you would also have a good chance at leicester and nottingham, if your UKCAT is around 650+ try barts and kings!

There is no such thing as a med school with lower applicant per place ratios sadly, most are very very high and competition is rife, this is why you need to apply to your strengths.

Cambridge is a massive risk, but go for it if you like it, do max 2 BMAT unis based on your UKCAT, if your UKCAT is good its better to play safe and do one BMAT uni.
Edinburgh is so so competative, possible even more so than oxbridge as they do not interview, doing edinburgh, cambridge and one of ICL/UCL is setting yourself up with to much competition and could end in disappointment for you.
I always say do at least 2 safe schools (if not 3), medicine is all about applying to your strengths as 60% of applicants get 4 rejections.
If you need anymore advice please please pm me.

I have to say though what type of course style are you after? And also why do you like these 4 med schools most?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,
I'm quite confused on what university would be the best for me. I have achieved 7 A*s and 5 As at GCSE and AAAA in AS in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics. I still have to do my UKCAT. I really would like to apply to University of Birmingham because it's more local but other than that I'm not sure where else to go.
Original post by Selgomez11
Hi,
I'm quite confused on what university would be the best for me. I have achieved 7 A*s and 5 As at GCSE and AAAA in AS in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics. I still have to do my UKCAT. I really would like to apply to University of Birmingham because it's more local but other than that I'm not sure where else to go.

Until you get your UKCAT there really is no point me advising you as it could all changw and j dont want to give you any false hope or be to hard on you for no reason.

As for birmingham I can tell you providing you get a decent UKCAT it is looking good for them!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Natalierm2707
Based on your GCSE grades and achieved AS grades you would have a strong chance at an interview at QUB, Cardiff, birmingham. If your UKCAT is around 630+ you would also have a good chance at leicester and nottingham, if your UKCAT is around 650+ try barts and kings!

There is no such thing as a med school with lower applicant per place ratios sadly, most are very very high and competition is rife, this is why you need to apply to your strengths.

Cambridge is a massive risk, but go for it if you like it, do max 2 BMAT unis based on your UKCAT, if your UKCAT is good its better to play safe and do one BMAT uni.
Edinburgh is so so competative, possible even more so than oxbridge as they do not interview, doing edinburgh, cambridge and one of ICL/UCL is setting yourself up with to much competition and could end in disappointment for you.
I always say do at least 2 safe schools (if not 3), medicine is all about applying to your strengths as 60% of applicants get 4 rejections.
If you need anymore advice please please pm me.

I have to say though what type of course style are you after? And also why do you like these 4 med schools most?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow thanks so much for the detailed reply! I have looked into Birmingham, going to an open day later in September I think :smile: I do really like kings and love London so want to apply to one London uni. I think if I get a good UKCAT will go for kings, if not will go for imperial or UCL.

I do really love Cambridge, need to look more closely at the BMAT and try some questions first to see if I could potentially do well. Yeah I know, I guess at the end of the day getting in is most important.

was leaning more towards traditional or intergrated as its more my style than pure PBL. I like Cmbridge because I love the academic nature of the course, I love the tutorial and college based system and its only a half an hour drive away! I like Edinburgh as again its traditional style which I like in unis, it's academic and I like the city. I liked imperial and UCL as they were in nice central parts of London with lots to do, nice surroundings and accommodation.

I will take your advice and apply to 2 or 3"safer" unis where my stats are favourable :wink:
Original post by isabella1999
Wow thanks so much for the detailed reply! I have looked into Birmingham, going to an open day later in September I think :smile: I do really like kings and love London so want to apply to one London uni. I think if I get a good UKCAT will go for kings, if not will go for imperial or UCL.

I do really love Cambridge, need to look more closely at the BMAT and try some questions first to see if I could potentially do well. Yeah I know, I guess at the end of the day getting in is most important.

was leaning more towards traditional or intergrated as its more my style than pure PBL. I like Cmbridge because I love the academic nature of the course, I love the tutorial and college based system and its only a half an hour drive away! I like Edinburgh as again its traditional style which I like in unis, it's academic and I like the city. I liked imperial and UCL as they were in nice central parts of London with lots to do, nice surroundings and accommodation.

I will take your advice and apply to 2 or 3"safer" unis where my stats are favourable :wink:

I see your wanting more traditional courses and like london, which is great

Can i ask why you dont feel like PBL is for you? So many people think this when apply but then end up really liking that style of learning after experiencing it, it just would be nice to know what is putting you off.

If your BMAT prep doesnt go to well avoid ICL and go for UCL, if its the other way around then go ICL instead of UCL. But i would 100% go for kings or barts if your UKCAT is good!

Birmingham by the way is a traditional course.

My worry with both edinburgh and cambridge is its so competative, so definetly if you go for these two try and avoid a BMAT uni as you dont need 3 risky applications at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bezoar
2 years on from getting my A-Level results and getting into med school but reading this thread is still giving me anxiety

Why's that? :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending