The Student Room Group

How difficult is BTEC Diploma Applied Science in Level 3?

Hi, i have studied 3 A levels Biology, Psychology and english and i didnt do too bad but not that great enough to get into a good uni. So, ive been given an option of taking this btec so it opens up courses and they have said they will consider me if i get a distinction. How hard is it to get a distinction in this course ? What do you exactly do for the coursework pieces and how can you ensure you get distinctions? Keep in mind i have studied AS chemistry and only passed lol, and carried on A2 biology and did okay. How hard is it compared to those? How is the coursework marked like what do you do? Also, are there any websites to help me with the coursework pieces? Thankyou.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by JayraWilliams
Hi, i have studied 3 A levels Biology, Psychology and english and i didnt do too bad but not that great enough to get into a good uni. So, ive been given an option of taking this btec so it opens up courses and they have said they will consider me if i get a distinction. How hard is it to get a distinction in this course ? What do you exactly do for the coursework pieces and how can you ensure you get distinctions? Keep in mind i have studied AS chemistry and only passed lol, and carried on A2 biology and did okay. How hard is it compared to those? How is the coursework marked like what do you do? Also, are there any websites to help me with the coursework pieces? Thankyou.

Hey I did the extended diploma in applied science and I got D*D*D* and I am now studying biomedical sciences. I will answer your question in parts.

1. How hard is it to get a distinction: You have to keep in mind that since it is a level 3 it is up to A level standard. When it comes to difficulty, there are a variety of different factors that you need to take into account. Firstly and in my opinion the most important is time management. If you manage your time well and do the assignments as soon as you get them you will be in a good position but if you don't you will struggle and will find it hard to finish work on time. keep in mind that meeting deadlines is essential. The work itself, like I said, is A level standard. For most of the assignments you have to show your understanding of the topic and have to do a lot of online research and look into text books. For you, since you have done A levels in sciences, you will be in a better position since you will have advanced knowledge.

2. What do you exactly do for the coursework pieces and how can you ensure you get distinctions? For assignments it can vary depending on whether you re doing biology, chemistry of physics. A pass can be something as simple as doing an experiment. The assignments can be something like: Explain how the cardiovascular system and respiratory system are interrelated. Something along those lines. It can also be about writing up an experiment that you carried out, explaining your results, making a graph, conclusion etc. For me personally, I got a check list from my teacher which said what I needed to do to get a pass, merit and distinction and I used that checklist to make sure that I included everything in my assignments and didn't miss anything out and made it as detailed as possible.

3. How hard is it compared to those? The way I like to think of it is that bfec students are under pressure throughout the year as they have to meet deadlines and attend classes for experiments etc. When it comes to the difficulty of the content, it can really depend, especially for you who has done A levels. We cover some topics, such as the renal system and reproduction, that A level students don't (or the might, Im not sure). The good thing is that for course work you don't have to do it in exam conditions. You can use text books, journals, the internet etc for your research to get all the information you need.

4. How is the coursework marked like what do you do? The coursework is marked by your teachers. They will give you a deadline and will expect you to turn your assignments in, either online though turnitin (to check for plagiarism) or a paper copy. They will then give it back to you once they have marked it for correction and will tell you whether you got the pass, merit or distinction and what you did wrong, what was irrelevant etc, you will then have the chance to resubmit the work with corrections. However, don't take my word on that, I did the course last year and they still accepted re-submissions - just double check and make sure that they still do. Sometime in the year the board will ask for random samples. This is done just to check that the marks that the teachers are giving are correct and that they are not being too harsh or lenient etc.

5. are there any websites to help me with the coursework pieces? There aren't any specific websites you can use. You can use pretty much anything you, even bitesize, to get the information that you need. Just make sure that it is a reliable source and not wikipedia or anything lol. There is a level 3 applied science text book you can use but I would speak to your teacher about that to see what they recommend. For me personally, I used everything, websites, books, journals etc.

I hope this helped if you have more questions then let me now or pm me.
Original post by polerat
Hey I did the extended diploma in applied science and I got D*D*D* and I am now studying biomedical sciences. I will answer your question in parts.

1. How hard is it to get a distinction: You have to keep in mind that since it is a level 3 it is up to A level standard. When it comes to difficulty, there are a variety of different factors that you need to take into account. Firstly and in my opinion the most important is time management. If you manage your time well and do the assignments as soon as you get them you will be in a good position but if you don't you will struggle and will find it hard to finish work on time. keep in mind that meeting deadlines is essential. The work itself, like I said, is A level standard. For most of the assignments you have to show your understanding of the topic and have to do a lot of online research and look into text books. For you, since you have done A levels in sciences, you will be in a better position since you will have advanced knowledge.

2. What do you exactly do for the coursework pieces and how can you ensure you get distinctions? For assignments it can vary depending on whether you re doing biology, chemistry of physics. A pass can be something as simple as doing an experiment. The assignments can be something like: Explain how the cardiovascular system and respiratory system are interrelated. Something along those lines. It can also be about writing up an experiment that you carried out, explaining your results, making a graph, conclusion etc. For me personally, I got a check list from my teacher which said what I needed to do to get a pass, merit and distinction and I used that checklist to make sure that I included everything in my assignments and didn't miss anything out and made it as detailed as possible.

3. How hard is it compared to those? The way I like to think of it is that bfec students are under pressure throughout the year as they have to meet deadlines and attend classes for experiments etc. When it comes to the difficulty of the content, it can really depend, especially for you who has done A levels. We cover some topics, such as the renal system and reproduction, that A level students don't (or the might, Im not sure). The good thing is that for course work you don't have to do it in exam conditions. You can use text books, journals, the internet etc for your research to get all the information you need.

4. How is the coursework marked like what do you do? The coursework is marked by your teachers. They will give you a deadline and will expect you to turn your assignments in, either online though turnitin (to check for plagiarism) or a paper copy. They will then give it back to you once they have marked it for correction and will tell you whether you got the pass, merit or distinction and what you did wrong, what was irrelevant etc, you will then have the chance to resubmit the work with corrections. However, don't take my word on that, I did the course last year and they still accepted re-submissions - just double check and make sure that they still do. Sometime in the year the board will ask for random samples. This is done just to check that the marks that the teachers are giving are correct and that they are not being too harsh or lenient etc.

5. are there any websites to help me with the coursework pieces? There aren't any specific websites you can use. You can use pretty much anything you, even bitesize, to get the information that you need. Just make sure that it is a reliable source and not wikipedia or anything lol. There is a level 3 applied science text book you can use but I would speak to your teacher about that to see what they recommend. For me personally, I used everything, websites, books, journals etc.

Hi, thanks sooo much :smile:! Am i okay to pm you if i ever need any help? Thanks a tonne its helped a lot:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by JayraWilliams
Hi, thanks sooo much :smile:! Am i okay to pm you if i ever need any help? Thanks a tonne its helped a lot:smile:

No worries, and year sure. You are more than welcome to.
I dont do applied ścienne but bear in mind plagarim and turnitin Of Your college will use it
Reply 5
Applied Science is really easy tbh. I just completed it with Distinction*. If you need any help feel free to message me.
Reply 6
I am in the second year of my applied science and got distinction in every topic in the first year, if you have any questions, feel free to message me.
Reply 7
Hey I'm currently studying applied science and just finished my first year with a Merit I'll be moving into second year so I can get a diploma but I'm scared I won't be able to get a Distinction in my second year.
Original post by Kayax
Applied Science is really easy tbh. I just completed it with Distinction*. If you need any help feel free to message me.
Hi there - my daughter has just signed up for this course. Did you enjoy and find it interesting? What have you decided to do when finished the course.
Original post by Jodie mcnulty
Hi there - my daughter has just signed up for this course. Did you enjoy and find it interesting? What have you decided to do when finished the course.

It's now a lot harder than before with new reforms it's now 58% exam and 42% coursework . Your daughter will find it enjoyable if she has an interest for science however from my experience if you don't really enjoy science than you will hate it because it's a lot more technical and more practicals are involved .
Original post by polerat

Hello, I'm going into sixth form and I plan on doing BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Applied Science and an A level (either history or media studie) along with it. You said you're doing biomedical science can you tell me what university please?
Original post by WolfzWay
Hello, I'm going into sixth form and I plan on doing BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Applied Science and an A level (either history or media studie) along with it. You said you're doing biomedical science can you tell me what university please?

Hi, I am currently studying at The University of Manchester.
Original post by polerat
Hi, I am currently studying at The University of Manchester.

Does university of Manchester accept BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Applied science to do Biomedical? (without any A levels involved)
Original post by WolfzWay
Does university of Manchester accept BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Applied science to do Biomedical? (without any A levels involved)

As far as I know, they no longer accept the Extended Diploma in Applied Sciences for their Biology courses. But please don't take my word for it and double check on the website.
Original post by polerat
As far as I know, they no longer accept the Extended Diploma in Applied Sciences for their Biology courses. But please don't take my word for it and double check on the website.

I checked they accept it but with 2 science A levels
I'm starting my btec level 3 applied science and I'm just worried whether I will pass or not. Can u just guide me how will it be like
Hey do you have an email by any chance?
Original post by Ameliafourth123
I'm starting my btec level 3 applied science and I'm just worried whether I will pass or not. Can u just guide me how will it be like

Hey do you have an email by any chance?
Reply 18
Original post by Kayax

Heya , how hard is applied science and do they recap the content in college . Also how much exam and coursework percentage . Also, is it like flowing and can you do part time job alongside
Reply 19
Original post by hj786_
Heya , how hard is applied science and do they recap the content in college . Also how much exam and coursework percentage . Also, is it like flowing and can you do part time job alongside

Please pm me

Zahir

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending